1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

*Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) Thread*

First

Back
162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171
  1. RandomDave
    Alright, so i got both Magni and Modi.
    Everything works fine, however i have a problem that the Modi throws out a very nasty pop when switching inputs.
    Also, the entire stack is getting to like 45°, to the point where it's not pleasant to touch. Is that fine or should i put a small fan near the stack to cool it down?
    Thanks

2. tafens
    I mostly leave the headphones plugged in, but when not I usually insert them as you do.

3. DCofficehack
    So honestly, people. If I got a Modi (already have a magni), would I really notice a difference? My source is a Mac PowerBook (2015) . I mostly listen to Beyerdynamik DT800s at my office.

4. tamleo
    Yes, all different audio gears make difference. But you like it or not is a different story. Schiit Dacs generally make sound more smooth, powerful, wider, clearer compared to my laptop/PC. But it is more v-shaped as well.
    I think you should buy the Modi because your headphone needs an amp, so it also need a dac. 96% i think you will love the combo.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  5. Taleru
    I actually send them an email about this and I was told it's completely fine.

6. BobSmith8901
    My Magni 2 Uber gets hot, like when I put my hand on top of it after some period of usage I go like whoaa!!, so it is normal. The thing even seems to warm up the small room that my setup is in. I have my Magni and Modi2U right next to each other and the Modi itself only gets very mildly warm from normal usage.

I can't really speak about hearing the Modi pop when I switch inputs as I have the optical going to my regular PC and the USB going to my mini-PC. When I switch inputs in this setup I don't hear anything.

I seem to vaguely recall when I had the Modi hooked up to my regular PC with both USB and optical that I could hear it making a sort of popping noise when switching inputs, especially if the volume was high but I guess it didn't seem remarkable at the time.

The Magni does make a popping sound after it does its delay after switching on but I know that's normal.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  7. MassNerder
    Last summer I've sent Schiit an email about my Modi Uber 2 getting hot, and they replied it's normal to me as well.
    I've paired mine with a Marantz PM6006 and a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 220, and I'm pretty happy with my setup.
    Anyway, I have a pair of ATH-M50X which I haven't used in quite a while, and now I want to get back at listening with headphones.
    So, the Marantz headphone output is not bad, although it doesn't sound as good as with speakers, and I was wondering if a Schiit Magni 3 would be an upgrade over it. Also, I won't disconnect the RCA cable from the amp to connect the Modi directly to the Magni everytime I want to switch from speakers to headphones (like everyday after a certain hour); so I would use the Tape Out on the Marantz to get to the Magni. Would it make sense?

Edit: I decided to get myself a pair of AKG K712 as I couldn't resist after reading the reviews, and I'll probably live happy with the headphone output of my integrated amp, at least for this year.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  8. eimis
    I'll just drop this here...

The low gain volume was too high for me so I lowered it by reducing the two resistors to ~152Ω (added ~200Ω resistors in parallel):
    dam.png

It was too loud with HD650 and my source. I guess it could be reduced even more (would benefit the insanely efficient MDR-MA900) but that might affect the amp's operation negatively, I'm not familiar with amplifier design so...Do this at your won risk

9. Dana Reed
    Since I'm bad at soldering, I took another approach to dealing with efficient headphones (Sony MDR-1A). I used the Sys between the DAC and the Magni, to attenuate the level, so I could use the Magni at a pot setting with better channel matching. Now I'm using the Lyr 2 and the Jot, so even though they have more power, I don't have to use the Sys, as the larger pot has better channel matching down to low levels.

10. Left Channel
    Nice! This is the solution I found here, which I posted about so long ago I can't even bring it up in site search. Two pairs of these attenuators are sticking out the back of my Magni 2U, for a total of 24 dB reduction: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006N41B0/

eimis likes this.
First

Back
162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171