Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Feb 13, 2013 at 4:43 AM Post #903 of 10,664
Quote:
Waiting with bated breath... :wink:

I went ahead and put this mSATA drive with this adapter in my 5g, though I didn't expect anything different out of trying to Rockbox it.  After restoring it in iTunes, it shows 238GB available.  I got the ata-11 error and then *PANIC* on subsequent reboot, after installing Rockbox.  I will say this about the mSATA drive... it's FAAAAAST.  Holy cow... way faster navigating and loading tracks in the stock firmware.  Since I recently bought 2 Cowon DAPs (J3 and Z2), maybe I'll just relegate the iPod to my vehicle.

Did you use the other adapter (as used by other fellows who tried the mSATA) to format the mSATA SSD Drive?

Eventually if the RB doesn't work, I may still get one 256GB mSATA and (forced to) use the apple firmware for the benefits of lighter weight, longer battery life, big storage size and reliability of the SSD. Also the saved space will be good for a mod putting in a couple of caps. But it sucks converting all the flac's to alac's.

Feb 13, 2013 at 7:46 AM Post #905 of 10,664
Quote:
Did you use the other adapter (as used by other fellows who tried the mSATA) to format the mSATA SSD Drive?

Eventually if the RB doesn't work, I may still get one 256GB mSATA and (forced to) use the apple firmware for the benefits of lighter weight, longer battery life, big storage size and reliability of the SSD. Also the saved space will be good for a mod putting in a couple of caps. But it sucks converting all the flac's to alac's.

I did not format the drive, beforehand.  It was my intention to, but the mSATA to SATA adapter I purchased did not work, so I took a chance on iTunes recognizing and formatting it.  I know there's a slim possibility that if I had formatted it in a PC, that it might have worked with Rockbox (right before pigs take to the skies).  I'm happy with it as-is, for the other reasons you cited.  If we get Rockbox at a later date, then that's just icing on the cake.

Feb 13, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #906 of 10,664
Quote:
Just set your music converter to do batch converting overnight.

Yeah I think I need to get another drive to mirror all my BIG trunk of flac's. Can the ALAC's support the cue files like FLAC's do? If not then F apple.
wink_face.gif

Quote:
I did not format the drive, beforehand.  It was my intention to, but the mSATA to SATA adapter I purchased did not work, so I took a chance on iTunes recognizing and formatting it.  I know there's a slim possibility that if I had formatted it in a PC, that it might have worked with Rockbox (right before pigs take to the skies).  I'm happy with it as-is, for the other reasons you cited.  If we get Rockbox at a later date, then that's just icing on the cake.

Thanks for the info. it's good to know that you really don't have to use the mSATA to SATA adapter to format the drive. Also let us know how much the battery life has improved with the mSATA.

BTW, this is the latest mSATA drive from the manufacturer replacing the one you used. Interesting to note the 256GB's now lowered to 240GB's.

Feb 14, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #907 of 10,664
Quote:
I talked to Torne and it looks like it wasn't a simple fix to get the mSATA drive to work with RockBox. He was on business in the states and didn't have access to his diagnostic tools, but he's now headed home and will take a more detailed look. 

Below is the update from Torne posted at RB forum:

"I've got it and have had a quick look, but I've mostly been on vacation and haven't had a lot of time. The converter doesn't appear to be ready in quite the way we expect after a reset, and our initialisation procedure and its timeouts are gonna need tweaking to deal with this. At the moment it's fairly tricky to tell what's going on though, because there isn't enough debugging info available on a real device about what's going on with the ATA stack. I'm probably going to add an ata debug mode which dumps a lot more information about the state of the device on a failure, which will be useful on all Rockbox devices in future
smiley.gif
"

Feb 15, 2013 at 4:49 AM Post #908 of 10,664
Quote:
Waiting with bated breath... :wink:

Since I recently bought 2 Cowon DAPs (J3 and Z2), maybe I'll just relegate the iPod to my vehicle.

I put my old ipod touch in my truck and it works great. I owned the Z2 for 48hrs and returned it. I have to say it's the one player that I absolutely hated.

I'm going on a 5 day deep sea fishing trip next week and I'm bringing the iModded 5.5, a Colorfly C3, and my iPhone 5 for tunes...almost 200GB of music with 2 sets of rechargeable speakers...lol. I think we have music covered...

The guy in charge of the beers better be on point!! LOL

Feb 15, 2013 at 9:23 AM Post #909 of 10,664
Quote:
I put my old ipod touch in my truck and it works great. I owned the Z2 for 48hrs and returned it. I have to say it's the one player that I absolutely hated.

Ironically, the Z2 is the one I'm enjoying the most!  Aside from the shorter battery life (compared to the J3, but which is on par with an iPod), I don't see what's not to like about the Z2, unless some people just really don't like Android.  I don't really notice any discernible difference in sound signature between the two, but to be fair, I don't have a really good set of headphones to be able to judge (yet).  I'm currently using a well used-and-abused HD280Pro, as my D5000s are "in transit", and I have a JH16Pro that need to be re-shelled before I can start using them.

Feb 15, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #910 of 10,664
Quote:

BTW, this is the latest mSATA drive from the manufacturer replacing the one you used. Interesting to note the 256GB's now lowered to 240GB's.

Well, for what it's worth it's looking like that model doesn't work in an iPod video.  I was ordering that msata card anyways for one of my laptops, and when I saw your post figured what the heck and grabbed an msata to zif adapter mentioned earlier in this thread.  Got the adapter in today and can't even get the option to restore it.  My ipod was a little low on juice so put the original hard drive back and am letting it charge up for awhile to see if that has an effect, but looking like that model msata is incompatible with the ipod.

(Also obviously tested the msata to make sure it works, and it shows up and is operates just fine in Windows)

Edit : NVM, did a look around and found out I was plugging the adapter into the ipod upside down.  Shows up in itunes and is restoring now.

Feb 16, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #911 of 10,664
Quote:

Ironically, the Z2 is the one I'm enjoying the most!  Aside from the shorter battery life (compared to the J3, but which is on par with an iPod), I don't see what's not to like about the Z2, unless some people just really don't like Android.  I don't really notice any discernible difference in sound signature between the two, but to be fair, I don't have a really good set of headphones to be able to judge (yet).  I'm currently using a well used-and-abused HD280Pro, as my D5000s are "in transit", and I have a JH16Pro that need to be re-shelled before I can start using them.

Na, it's definitely not an android thing. For the last 3yrs I've developed custom ROMS for Android devices. I just didn't like anything about it. I thought the sound was way over rated, It was more o a pain in the ass than any other player I've had, and it just felt like it wasn't worth the money.

::shrugs::

Each to their own. I love my iModded 5.5 but have been using a Colorfly C3 more these days. I just got a C&C amp for the C3 that I'm going to try on the 5.5 to see how it sounds today.

Feb 17, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #913 of 10,664
Quote:
does the 30gb freeze when too many tracks are stored on it?
im asking since there might be less ram compared to the bigger models

I been able to install the 7th generation 160gb hard drive on the 30gb iPod video with only 32mb of ram and fill the drive and it works without any file limitations; was able to lead as many songs as the drive size allowed me.

Feb 18, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #915 of 10,664
Quote:
I want to take out a drive from a rockboxed ipod 5g and put it into another ipod 5g to be rockboxed. How can I keep all the music on that drive intact?

The only way would be to do a backup of all your music files to a PC.  Putting the drive into another iPod is going to force a restore, which (by default) re-formats the drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back