Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Feb 11, 2013 at 4:50 PM Post #887 of 10,664
Yesterday when I turned on my ipod with the CF card, it asked for connecting to computer for restore. So I did it and everything is back to normal now except I lost all the files. I was puzzled by this incidence as it happened for no apparent reason. I suspect two possibilities - the CF card quality or loosed connection between the ribbon cable and the Tarkan (or the connection between the Tarkan and the CF). If it happens next time, I will open the ipod and try to push tight the connections instead of proceeding to a restore.

Did this ever happen to your guys?

Feb 11, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #888 of 10,664
^ Same error (sad apple face and ask for restore) occurred to my 5.5 gen 80GB (Tarkan adapter with Transcend 32GB CF). Loose connection was the cause in my case. I first did restore without fixing loose connection but got same error again shortly after. I tightened the connection and it has been working perfectly since.

Edit: I don't remember losing all files on CF though.

Feb 11, 2013 at 6:02 PM Post #889 of 10,664
On losing files, I mean if you proceed to a restore then everything will be wiped out. No?

On the loose connection, this is what I feel going on. Mine is a 60gb fat model so there is plenty of space left after the CF swap. When I press the click wheel I can feel the hollow space below the adapter. After pressing for so many times perhaps the Tarkan adapter has shifted enough to trigger a sad face or restore.

Feb 11, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #890 of 10,664
Quote:
iPod Video outputs video via the headphone jack. What you need is one of those analogue 3.5mm mini-jack to 3x RCA cables. You don't need an Apple cable: others ones will work too; just it won't necessarily be the yellow labelled RCA that will carry the video. Just fiddle around until you get image.
And you can get higher resolution choices by sticking to MPEG-4. A couple of years ago I used to use one of those mini LED-backlit video-projectors with the iPod Video, getting a 1.2m wide image, and it was sharp enough. I didn't keep the mini LED-backlit video-projector because the LED lamp wasn't bright enough; I'll have to check out if they have improved on this issue since on newer models. It did make a cool portable cinema set-up.

So you think, this:

http://www.tuaw.com/images/2005/11/av_cable.jpg

+

http://i01.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/675255813/VGA-SVGA-to-S-Video-3-RCA-TV-AV-Converter-Cable-Adapter-10PCS.jpg

...should work, to connect it to my VGA port from my computer monitor?

Feb 11, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #891 of 10,664
Ah... I missed that VGA-only computer monitor part... I can't confirm that those VGA to component video / S-video work both ways. I misread & thought you were going to use a regular TV.
I don't know if that second cable will work. I haven't found any documentation acknowledging this possibility, since most discussed examples are of people trying to hook their laptop to a TV.

Feb 11, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #892 of 10,664
Quote:
Yesterday when I turned on my ipod with the CF card, it asked for connecting to computer for restore. So I did it and everything is back to normal now except I lost all the files. I was puzzled by this incidence as it happened for no apparent reason. I suspect two possibilities - the CF card quality or loosed connection between the ribbon cable and the Tarkan (or the connection between the Tarkan and the CF). If it happens next time, I will open the ipod and try to push tight the connections instead of proceeding to a restore.

Did this ever happen to your guys?

Hasn't happened to me yet...and as you guys know...I beat the crap out of this baby. LOL She's had more falls than an old man with a bum hip!

Feb 12, 2013 at 12:34 AM Post #894 of 10,664
Quote:

Maybe those drops tightened the connections for the Takan and CF. Next time when the sad face shows up, I am gonna drop it 3 times. LOL.

LOL excellent!

Make sure you video it for us!

:wink:

LOL

Feb 12, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #895 of 10,664
Quote:
Torne from the RB team has my iPod and is working on the issue. I'm waiting with fingers crossed as well.

I talked to Torne and it looks like it wasn't a simple fix to get the mSATA drive to work with RockBox. He was on business in the states and didn't have access to his diagnostic tools, but he's now headed home and will take a more detailed look. 

Feb 12, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #896 of 10,664
Quote:
I talked to Torne and it looks like it wasn't a simple fix to get the mSATA drive to work with RockBox. He was on business in the states and didn't have access to his diagnostic tools, but he's now headed home and will take a more detailed look. 

Waiting with bated breath... :wink:

I went ahead and put this mSATA drive with this adapter in my 5g, though I didn't expect anything different out of trying to Rockbox it.  After restoring it in iTunes, it shows 238GB available.  I got the ata-11 error and then *PANIC* on subsequent reboot, after installing Rockbox.  I will say this about the mSATA drive... it's FAAAAAST.  Holy cow... way faster navigating and loading tracks in the stock firmware.  Since I recently bought 2 Cowon DAPs (J3 and Z2), maybe I'll just relegate the iPod to my vehicle.

Feb 12, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #898 of 10,664
Quote:

Hmm, I have faith in him making our dreams come true.

Quote:
Waiting with bated breath... :wink:

I went ahead and put this mSATA drive with this adapter in my 5g, though I didn't expect anything different out of trying to Rockbox it.  After restoring it in iTunes, it shows 238GB available.  I got the ata-11 error and then *PANIC* on subsequent reboot, after installing Rockbox.  I will say this about the mSATA drive... it's FAAAAAST.  Holy cow... way faster navigating and loading tracks in the stock firmware.  Since I recently bought 2 Cowon DAPs (J3 and Z2), maybe I'll just relegate the iPod to my vehicle.

Well at least you got a 256GB SSD ipod working on the OF. But I hate iTunes. Last night I was trying to load some music to my iPhone from iTunes, everything was in grey and locked and I couldn't do anything (add or delete). It's a shame whoever created that piece of crap.

Feb 12, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #899 of 10,664
Quote:

Hmm, I have faith in him making our dreams come true.

Well at least you got a 256GB SSD ipod working on the OF. But I hate iTunes. Last night I was trying to load some music to my iPhone from iTunes, everything was in grey and locked and I couldn't do anything (add or delete). It's a shame whoever created that piece of crap.

You're not the only one.  I only used iTunes to restore it, and only because it's on my office computer (tried to revive another iPod I bought).  I use Foobar to load music on my iPod.  You might give that a try!

Feb 12, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #900 of 10,664
You're not the only one.  I only used iTunes to restore it, and only because it's on my office computer (tried to revive another iPod I bought).  I use Foobar to load music on my iPod.  You might give that a try!

Didn't know you could use foobar to add music to iPod. Will google on that. Thanks for the tip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back