Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Feb 18, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #916 of 10,664
Quote:
The only way would be to do a backup of all your music files to a PC.  Putting the drive into another iPod is going to force a restore, which (by default) re-formats the drive.

That's what I am afraid to hear. I was hoping both ipods with the same version of rockbox can do the drive swap without a restore.

BTW, how's the battery doing with your recent drive swap for the mSATA?

Feb 18, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #917 of 10,664
Quote:
That's what I am afraid to hear. I was hoping both ipods with the same version of rockbox can do the drive swap without a restore.

BTW, how's the battery doing with your recent drive swap for the mSATA?

redface.gif

I haven't spent much time at all with my iPod, since doing the swap...  I've been playing with my Cowons too much (just because they're something new)!   That, and not being able to Rockbox it (yet).  I despise the fact that I can't browse my collection by folders, and sometimes the tags cause the iPod firmware to populate my lists with a lot of titles I don't recognize.  That's something I never liked about the (non-Rockboxed) iPod.

On edit:  It just occurred to me that I can/will do a battery test on it in the coming days:  I have a brand-new set of cans (D5000) arriving in a day or two, and I'll need to burn them in.  I'll set a playlist to repeat, crank up the volume, and we'll see how long it will go!

Feb 18, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #918 of 10,664
Yeah I am anxiously waiting for the good news from RB dev's Torne. Once the issue is resolved, my goal is to have a pair of diymod ipod 5.5g's with 256GB mSATA SSD's and be done with it.

Look forward to the battery test results and I hope it will match or even outperform the CF swap.

Feb 18, 2013 at 3:02 PM Post #919 of 10,664
I'm about to have a 30gb Ipod 5th, i think it's the slim one (hasn't arrived yet), if i decided to use Tarkan CF, can I use the Fat Back and then use the 80gb's battery (does the fatback compatible with 30gb frame & faceplate)? I was hoping for RB & longer life due to bigger capacity.

actually I'd love the mSATA more, but the inability for RB makes me think, I really wish the dev team come up with a new build.

Feb 18, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #920 of 10,664
Quote:
I'm about to have a 30gb Ipod 5th, i think it's the slim one (hasn't arrived yet), if i decided to use Tarkan CF, can I use the Fat Back and then use the 80gb's battery (does the fatback compatible with 30gb frame & faceplate)? I was hoping for RB & longer life due to bigger capacity.

The 80gb and 60gb cover fits perfectly on the 30gb iPod.

Feb 19, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #922 of 10,664
Quote:
okay, so that means i can use the bigger cover for my 30gb ipod.
how about the battery? or do you guys have any high capacity battery? or should i just use the 80gb/80gb battery instead since I'm going after 60gb/80gb's back cover?

You will need the back cover, the headphone jack membrane and the 80GB battery.  I am not aware of any high capacity battery that is being sold.

Feb 19, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #923 of 10,664
There's a 1300mAh battery that can be sourced on the net, but it is rumoured to be a 850mAh one with a 1300mAh label on it since no differences in performance were noted between the two.

Feb 19, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #924 of 10,664
Quote:
You will need the back cover, the headphone jack membrane and the 80GB battery.  I am not aware of any high capacity battery that is being sold.

Quote:
There's a 1300mAh battery that can be sourced on the net, but it is rumoured to be a 850mAh one with a 1300mAh label on it since no differences in performance were noted between the two.

so I guess it's safer to pick the 850mAh.
thanks guys 
beerchug.gif

Feb 19, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #927 of 10,664
Quote:
tempting... but sadly "May not ship to Indonesia"
well, looks like I'm gonna have to look for proxy .. kinda makes me wonder though, 900mAh, CF card/SSD full of FLAC, how many hours will you able to squeeze from the iPod 
tongue.gif

Hmm... try to contact the seller about the shipping.

I can tell you from my own experience it's a big improvement and one of the reasons I want to get rid of the HDD's. Mine is a heavily used ipod 60gb when I bought it from somebody and I sure believe the battery is still the stock battery from the original. After I swapped the hdd for the CF, I can get 20 hrs of playing time for FLAC's from that old battery. I listen to music a LOT everyday and I was sick of charging every a few hrs with the HDD's.

With said, the ipod 5.5g 80GB and classic 7G have much better battery performance even for the HDD's.

Feb 19, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #928 of 10,664
Quote:
Hmm... try to contact the seller about the shipping.

I can tell you from my own experience it's a big improvement and one of the reasons I want to get rid of the HDD's. Mine is a heavily used ipod 60gb when I bought it from somebody and I sure believe the battery is still the stock battery from the original. After I swapped the hdd for the CF, I can get 20 hrs of playing time for FLAC's from that old battery. I listen to music a LOT everyday and I was sick of charging every a few hrs with the HDD's.

With said, the ipod 5.5g 80GB and classic 7G have much better battery performance even for the HDD's.

I'll have some info to report tomorrow.  I'm currently doing a run-time test with my mSATA equipped 5g, which also has the original battery in it.  Mine has pretty much the same story as yours. 
smile_phones.gif

Feb 19, 2013 at 7:58 PM Post #929 of 10,664
Quote:
I'll have some info to report tomorrow.  I'm currently doing a run-time test with my mSATA equipped 5g, which also has the original battery in it.  Mine has pretty much the same story as yours. 
smile_phones.gif

Thanks HH for the benchmark testing on the mSATA and look forward to the results. BTW, are you playing all ALAC's for the testing?

Hey guys, my ipod with the CF card recently started skipping unfinished tracks during playing. Is this an indication of defected CF?

Feb 19, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #930 of 10,664
Quote:
Thanks HH for the benchmark testing on the mSATA and look forward to the results. BTW, are you playing all ALAC's for the testing?

There's roughly 80% ALAC and 20% mp3.  I set it to shuffle all, and set it to max volume, driving the aforementioned Denon AH-D5000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back