Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Feb 20, 2013 at 1:33 AM Post #931 of 10,664
Quote:
Hmm... try to contact the seller about the shipping.

I can tell you from my own experience it's a big improvement and one of the reasons I want to get rid of the HDD's. Mine is a heavily used ipod 60gb when I bought it from somebody and I sure believe the battery is still the stock battery from the original. After I swapped the hdd for the CF, I can get 20 hrs of playing time for FLAC's from that old battery. I listen to music a LOT everyday and I was sick of charging every a few hrs with the HDD's.

With said, the ipod 5.5g 80GB and classic 7G have much better battery performance even for the HDD's.

I Will. did you also use the same battery?

Quote:
Thanks HH for the benchmark testing on the mSATA and look forward to the results. BTW, are you playing all ALAC's for the testing?

Hey guys, my ipod with the CF card recently started skipping unfinished tracks during playing. Is this an indication of defected CF?

do you have another CF Card to test it out?

Quote:
There's roughly 80% ALAC and 20% mp3.  I set it to shuffle all, and set it to max volume, driving the aforementioned Denon AH-D5000.

since you're using mSATA, so I assume you are using the stock FW instead of RB, are you using the US FW?

Feb 20, 2013 at 7:45 AM Post #933 of 10,664
Well, I had hoped for better battery life, but I'm guessing my original battery has seen better days... 
frown.gif

It managed less than 14 hours before dying.  Could be even less than that.  I don't know exactly when it died, as I started it before I left my office yesterday, and it was already dead when I came in this morning.  I have a new battery that I purchased for another iPod (850mAh for 60/80g), I may swap that in and try it, again.

Feb 20, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #935 of 10,664
Quote:
If you could get 14 hrs out of an old battery that's not bad at all.

BTW, for the 60gb/80gb there are some 1300 mAh batteries available from ebay and here is one.

I'm usually leery about trying batteries that claim significantly higher capacity than stock, but for the price, it's worth a try.  Thanks for the link!

Since there's a few of us still monitoring this thread, I'll pose a question about a possible problem with my "project" 'Pod: 

I purchased an 80g 5.5gen off of eBay, that appeared to have a dead hard drive.  When I got it, I could see that it had already been opened up and tinkered with.  Battery showed bloating, and I put in a new battery.  Battery did not appear to charge, as the Pod wouldn't get past the nag screen to contact support.  I swapped in the 60g drive I pulled from my 5g, and did a restore.  Everything appeared normal, and the battery took a charge.  Then, the next day, I went to turn it on and got the "restore" nag screen, again.  I've double-checked connections, and can't find anything loose.  What else may be going on?  Bad logic board??

Feb 20, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #936 of 10,664
I am experiencing similar issue with my 60gb model swapped for this CF card using the Tarkan. Recently it asked for restore twice when it was powered on. The first time I simply proceeded to restore immediately and lost all the files. Ouch!  The second time when it occurred I just pushed the selection button (as I could recall) and it then booted to RB and everything was OK. However, it starts skipping tracks unfinished during playing (not every track just a few tracks from time to time). I don't know the exact cause but suspect the CF defect.

Feb 20, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #938 of 10,664
Putting my 256GB Crucial msata in my laptop and moving my old 128GB MyDigitalSSD into an iPod Video 5.5G.

Should have the parts I need show up next week. Hopefully the RockBox msata issue can be worked out.

Feb 21, 2013 at 7:50 AM Post #939 of 10,664
Quote:
Successfully managed to swap the 30GB CF Card for a Crucial 256GB mSATA of a WhipMod.

Would you reckon there'd be enough room for internal caps with the mSATA solution vs. the CF solution, if not with the 30GB backplate then with the 80GB backplate?

Feb 21, 2013 at 8:24 AM Post #940 of 10,664
Quote:
Would you reckon there'd be enough room for internal caps with the µSATA solution vs. the CF solution, if not with the 30GB backplate then with the 80GB backplate?

I can answer that...

There's PLENTY of room for internal caps with a mSATA installed.  From the pics I've seen of a CF mod with Tarkan adapter, there appears to be more room with a mSATA and adapter.  Moreover, my 256GB mSATA and adapter fits (with room to spare) under a 60GB backplate.  Might even fit with a 30GB backplate, but then you'd have trouble getting the caps to fit.

Feb 21, 2013 at 9:15 AM Post #941 of 10,664
Quote:
Would you reckon there'd be enough room for internal caps with the µSATA solution vs. the CF solution, if not with the 30GB backplate then with the 80GB backplate?

I suspect my WhipMOD has the 30GB backplate as it is quite slim compared to my RWA IMod.  The mSATA + adapter has a smaller footprint compared to the CF + adapter.  mSATA + adapter is slightly thicker though. Yes there will be more room with mSATA for a pair of caps (e.g. Elna Silmic2 47nF/10v).  

That said, I prefer to have the caps on the LOD so I can switch LODs (with different wires/capacitor value) to fine tune or gain slightly more pleasing listening experience for a particular genre/song (mostly about personal taste, preference, mood, or comfort).   

Feb 21, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #943 of 10,664
Would something like this :-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crucial-CT256M4SSD3-256GB-mSATA-Internal/dp/B0085J17UA/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1361477240&sr=8-5

fit in an ipod classic 7th gen and would I need an adaptor (also from amazon preferably!) to get it to fit?

If it won't work in a 7th gen then how about a 5.5 80 gig?

Cheers

Feb 22, 2013 at 9:07 AM Post #944 of 10,664
Quote:
Would something like this :-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crucial-CT256M4SSD3-256GB-mSATA-Internal/dp/B0085J17UA/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1361477240&sr=8-5

fit in an ipod classic 7th gen and would I need an adaptor (also from amazon preferably!) to get it to fit?

If it won't work in a 7th gen then how about a 5.5 80 gig?

Cheers

I got the exact 256GB mSATA in a 5.5.  Here's a size comparison shot of the mSATA + Adapter, HDD, and CF + Adapter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back