Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Feb 5, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #151 of 10,664
Quote:
For those who use the default Apple firmware and put in a big drive, you can't have over 30,000 songs in one playlist or the iPod locks up on the Apple logo.  I've been struggling with this for a couple of weeks before I finally read this.

Does this behaviour only happen with that many songs in a single play-list, or does it also happen with that amount spread over a number of play-lists? Or even albums?

Feb 5, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #152 of 10,664
From what I've read, it's 30K songs in one playlist that causes the problem.  I'm still playing with it.  This morning, my iPod says it has no music but it's got 170GB of unrecognized music on it.  It was working last night.

Feb 5, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #153 of 10,664
Quote:
From what I've read, it's 30K songs in one playlist that causes the problem.  I'm still playing with it.  This morning, my iPod says it has no music but it's got 170GB of unrecognized music on it.  It was working last night.

Mmh, although you probably aren't thrilled to bits to be a guinea pig with this experimentation -considering the cost of said SSD-, any further investigations you will make into this matter will be much appreciated.

By the way, do you have a 5.5G Video with 64MB RAM on-board its logic board, or the lower 32MB? That might have something to do with it. Please ignore this comment if you are using a Classic.

Feb 5, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #154 of 10,664
I have a 80GB 5.5G.  I don't know how to tell how much memory is on board.  I have a couple of smart playlists that have over 29K songs in them.  I'm eliminating them from the sync to see if that does it.  Last night, I was able to play songs, but there was no artwork. 

Feb 5, 2012 at 5:49 PM Post #155 of 10,664
If you got your 80GB 5.5G iPod Video first hand then it should have 64MB RAM on-board. The model number that shows in-menu will reveal what logic board is inside; even if it came originally with a black or white coloured iPod!

Then again, it's not sure that the available RAM is the culprit. It could be firmware rather than hardware, I don't know. To know the amount of allocated cache would be useful, since that surely also plays a role.

Feb 7, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #157 of 10,664
It's sort of working after not syncing the smart playlists that were approaching 30K.  Art work isn't syncing.  It just shows a white square.  It also never completely goes into sleep.  The backlight goes off but if I look at the screen in the light, I can see that it's still on.  The new battery only lasts about 8 hours.  I'm guessing this doesn't have anything to do with the battery or SSD but is a defect with the iPod. 

Feb 8, 2012 at 3:37 AM Post #158 of 10,664
Ah, maybe its logic board is a bit tired. Mine is starting to act up weird too. When I eject if from the computer, it won't go back to on-the-go playback mode, it keeps resetting to the Apple logo. I have to wait until the battery depletes or I have to manually disconnect the battery by taking the iPod apart. The other way round I have no problem, from normal state to connected to the computer to transfer / access files. Oh, and the DAC chip is dead too, I've been using it as a digital audio & video server for the last 6 months, since no sound comes out of the headphone amp nor the line output dock. I hadn't bothered changing the logic board since iPod Videos are alas not compatible with the CLAS nor HP-P1, but now I'm having a hard time using it just as an external hard drive... I might buy one of those 1.8" external ZIF enclosures to keep using the HDD or cave in and get a new logic board after all, since I was considering getting an Onkyo ND-S1 digital line output dock.

Things don't last for ever, and especially not crApple DAP's. My older Sony Hi-MD Walkmans are all still going strong though!

Feb 11, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #159 of 10,664
So I successfully installed in the ssd into the video and it syncs fine. The problem I have is that once in a while, there is a glitch during playback, for a second or so.
Why is this happening? I thought that ssd read speeds would not cause this to happen. It's very annoying when it happens during a song. Do you think it might be
the faulty ssd or the ipod or something else?

Feb 11, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #160 of 10,664
I haven't had that happen.  It takes a while to start after I hit play though. 

Mine decided to start working correctly.  Artwork now shows up and battery life is OK.  The only glitch I still have is that every time I eject after syncing, it doesn't see the music without rebooting twice, the first time to file mode.

Feb 12, 2012 at 9:34 AM Post #162 of 10,664
Hello everyone my first post here, i hope this is in the right place since this thread seems to be dealing with ipod video/classic 5g to 7g,my question is would any of these conversions work on the ipod classic 3rd generation either the sdd conversion or a compact flash card conversion.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back