Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Dec 16, 2011 at 8:06 PM Post #121 of 10,664
I don't know about the HDD from the classic to the video but the max SSD is 256gb for the thin ipod video (if you read this thread you'd know).
Just go to superbiiz and search for 1.8' ssd and you'll find all the capacity. I just ordered one, waiting for it to come.

Dec 22, 2011 at 2:06 PM Post #123 of 10,664
I have successfully installed the 128GB SSD on my 5th gen iPod but every once in a while there would be a hick up in the music, like it would stop for a second and resume. Is this normal? I'm pretty sure that I didn't do anything wrong while installing and everything is connected fine. What could I do to fix this? I would think that using and SSD would not allow this type of thing to happen even when playing lossless files.

Dec 23, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #125 of 10,664

I have successfully installed the 128GB SSD on my 5th gen iPod but every once in a while there would be a hick up in the music, like it would stop for a second and resume. Is this normal? I'm pretty sure that I didn't do anything wrong while installing and everything is connected fine. What could I do to fix this? I would think that using and SSD would not allow this type of thing to happen even when playing lossless files.

It is not normal that the music pauses and resumes. I know because it happened to me at first and not long after, the drive failed. I had to send it back to Super Talent and they sent me a new one.

Dec 24, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #126 of 10,664
My 128GB Super Talent arrived yesterday. I hope to install it tomorrow.

Dec 31, 2011 at 7:02 PM Post #127 of 10,664
If the host device doesn't support TRIM a SSD's performance might degrade over time: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRIM

Newer SSD drives do this operation on their own but also decrease the SSD's life due to increased writes...

I want to go SSD but I also want to know that it will last...

Jan 13, 2012 at 6:48 AM Post #129 of 10,664
Jan 14, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #131 of 10,664
I haven't had a chance to finish it yet, I ran into a problem with my Ipod classic logic board. I have to get another one. Been a little busy with some other things so kinda on the back burner. I will be finishing it shortly as I am going to California next month and want to see how the battery holds up on the plane. Will update everyone when I get it done.

Jan 27, 2012 at 9:32 AM Post #134 of 10,664
If you want 64gb you have two options. You can do a compact flash card mod using one of tarkan's adapters(25$) and a compact flash card going for about 100$ to 150$. Or you could just get an ssd at that size and they run about 150$ and up. The 128gb ssd might be around the same price.

Jan 27, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #135 of 10,664
I just purchased a 120gb Samsung HS12YHA hard drive for my 5.5gen iPod Video (30 gig, slim). Despite reading from numerous sources that it is compatible with the iPod Video, I couldn't get the stock hard drive connector to work.

Since I couldn't return the drive, I popped open my 80gb iPod classic and switched the hard drive connector to my iPod Video. I can get the iPod to recognize the drive (it spins up just fine) in Diagnostic mode. But when I force it into disk mode, neither my computer nor iTunes will recognize it.

Anyone know a solution? I really want to get this to work so that I can enjoy 120 gigs of Rockboxed FLAC goodness. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back