Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Aug 25, 2016 at 7:24 PM Post #8,239 of 10,664
  Once the hard drive removed and replaced by cf card and adapter, does the Ipod loss some weight ?

Depends on the iPod.  5.5g 80 GB or 160 GB?  Yes, it's a fair bit lighter.  It goes from "this product feels about the right weight for a quality product (from 2006)" to "this feels like a Chinese knockoff that's missing parts" kinda weight.  But the performance gains go the other way.

Aug 25, 2016 at 7:50 PM Post #8,240 of 10,664
  Depends on the iPod.  5.5g 80 GB or 160 GB?  Yes, it's a fair bit lighter.  It goes from "this product feels about the right weight for a quality product (from 2006)" to "this feels like a Chinese knockoff that's missing parts" kinda weight.  But the performance gains go the other way.

etysmile.gif

I have the  black 80 gb version but will change also front & backplate  to slimmer white ( 30 GB version )

Aug 25, 2016 at 8:05 PM Post #8,241 of 10,664
  Once the hard drive removed and replaced by cf card and adapter, does the Ipod loss some weight ?

Sadly it is barely noticeable.

I have a 5.5gen 30gb for parts (does not boot, most likely battery needs replacement) if anyone is interested, too burned out after many iFlash Quad and iPod Mini mods.

Aug 25, 2016 at 8:58 PM Post #8,242 of 10,664
I miss my Ipod nano 1st Gen so much  ( It was my first DAP )  had the 4th, 5th & 6th gen but I liked none of them.

I wish It could be moded like the classics and add some memory to it.

I had a good experience with the xduoo x2, but it lacked a clickwheel, the painting chipped off very easily and it died 11 months later.
frown.gif

Aug 26, 2016 at 6:40 AM Post #8,243 of 10,664
  I miss my Ipod nano 1st Gen so much  ( It was my first DAP )  had the 4th, 5th & 6th gen but I liked none of them.

I wish It could be moded like the classics and add some memory to it.

I had a good experience with the xduoo x2, but it lacked a clickwheel, the painting chipped off very easily and it died 11 months later.
frown.gif

"died 11 months later. 
frown.gif
"

And here we are, re-using gear from 2005 and 2007 :)

Aug 26, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #8,244 of 10,664
  "died 11 months later. 
frown.gif
"

And here we are, re-using gear from 2005 and 2007 :)

Few days ago I was standing in front of  the counter in a local phone repairing shop. A nice  young girl came in , and asked " I found a very very old  phone  that belongs to my mother, can this be repaired ? "  and you could see in her eyes that she was already apologising for bringing  here such an antic. I thought maybe it would be one of those  fat phones with camera from early 2004-2005, or a blackberry. And then, a little bit ashamed she finally showed the phone and ... it was the same one that I had in my pocket, a Samsung S4
etysmile.gif
.  (  from 2013 )

So guys, what would I look like with my Ipod 5.5 in the streets ? Maybe a hipster or at the best a dinosaur out of time ?

Aug 28, 2016 at 9:40 AM Post #8,245 of 10,664
So, I got everything apart (cleanly, no damage), wasn't bad at all.

But, the 2000mah battery I got from Alex will not charge (I tried it via usb, iPhone charger and 4.2A usb outlet). I let it sit overnight and it still shows the red battery with yellow exclamation point triangle saying charging.

I'll need to get that sorted out with him (I'm sure it's inserted correctly and my OEM battery works).

No broken cables or internal damage. It was much easier than I though and had it opened in 15 minutes (the putty knife helped).

Aug 28, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #8,247 of 10,664
One more detail :

As I said in an early post . I intend to change the thick ( 80 gb ) cover for a slimmer one. Someone said I will need to change the battery for a slimmer one. But do I also need to change the jack ?

Aug 30, 2016 at 2:42 AM Post #8,250 of 10,664
  One more detail :

As I said in an early post . I intend to change the thick ( 80 gb ) cover for a slimmer one. Someone said I will need to change the battery for a slimmer one. But do I also need to change the jack ?

yes the slim backs need a slim headphone jack/hold switch cable to be able to fit. 

You can fit a fat switch and jack on a slim back I think (you just have a bit of excess cable). But the slim's version is slightly more curved than the fat one so it's a lot cleaner if you get the right one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back