Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Aug 22, 2016 at 7:39 PM Post #8,225 of 10,664

3.13 is actually a very old build, and completely out-of-date.  These days they don't seem to bother with point-releases, everyone just uses the latest development build.

I second this, you can see on here that people still work on rockbox, http://gerrit.rockbox.org/r/#/q/status:xf_eek:pen
including a new USB driver

Thanks fam. I'll try out the dev build from here http://build.rockbox.org/ and let y'all know if it solves the issue.

Aug 24, 2016 at 8:07 AM Post #8,226 of 10,664
Anyone encountered this particular weirdness?

Have a 7.5 gen tarkan-adaptor-sdxc ipod that just could NOT be restored with iTunes.  iTunes would either not see it at all, or would put up the 'restoring' progress bar which would then not do anything (just had that annoying constantly cycling green bar, that isn't actually a progress bar because it doesn't progress, it just cycles across constantly and doesn't seem to serve any purpose that I can figure out)..

But I _could_ install emcore and format it from within emcore tools and install (old-school non-dual-boot) rockbox perfectly well.  So now its Rockbox-only, but seems to work perfectly like that.

Fiddling with iPods seems to constantly throw up these incomprehensible glitches.  Like the one that wouldn't go into recovery mode (just kept rebooting immediately when you tried to put it into DFU mode), until I gave up on it and put it aside for ages, only for it to decide it was feeling better when I eventually tried it again.

Aug 24, 2016 at 11:30 AM Post #8,227 of 10,664
My battery from Alex should be at My house on Friday and will tackle this over the weekend.

I'll be using iTunes based (to keep audio functionality in my car). I'm installing the 2000mah battery, quad tarkin adapter and 4x128gb elite pny cards into my 7.5gen slim.

I've got plenty of ifixit and Other assorted tools as well as plenty of .38mm thin guitar picks to keep the clips from re-clipping.

I'm just hoping I don't scuff or bang up my device (currently flawless). I'll take pictures and report back.

Any advice (although there is plenty already in this thread) or support would be appreciated.

Aug 24, 2016 at 8:08 PM Post #8,229 of 10,664
My battery from Alex should be at My house on Friday and will tackle this over the weekend.

I'll be using iTunes based (to keep audio functionality in my car). I'm installing the 2000mah battery, quad tarkin adapter and 4x128gb elite pny cards into my 7.5gen slim.

I've got plenty of ifixit and Other assorted tools as well as plenty of .38mm thin guitar picks to keep the clips from re-clipping.

I'm just hoping I don't scuff or bang up my device (currently flawless). I'll take pictures and report back.

Any advice (although there is plenty already in this thread) or support would be appreciated.

Please have ALOT of patience while doing everything for the first time, make sure you know what you are doing is correct, while opening the ipod focus on the lock pads, you dont need to unlock bock sides to open it, unlock the pads on one side, top and bottom, then try to separate both parts gently, dont abuse the battery connector, it breaks easily and its almost certain that you will need a new logic if it breaks.
I have been fiddling with electronics since i was a kid, fixing, soldering, DIY'ing, and the first time i opened an Ipod i was too confident, i ended breaking the display, had to wait 30 days for a replace while suffering the pain of no portable music...

Aug 25, 2016 at 6:15 AM Post #8,233 of 10,664
If those Chinese manufacturers/sellers can produce a black back panel, I wonder if there's any chance they could produce 5th gen front panels in colors other than black or white?  How hard would it be to make green or red or blue plastic?
Are they manufacturing them fresh or is there just a vast store of spares still out there?  The former seems more likely, and if so, surely it wouldn't be hard to just use a different color base material?

Aug 25, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #8,234 of 10,664
  If those Chinese manufacturers/sellers can produce a black back panel, I wonder if there's any chance they could produce 5th gen front panels in colors other than black or white?  How hard would it be to make green or red or blue plastic?
Are they manufacturing them fresh or is there just a vast store of spares still out there?  The former seems more likely, and if so, surely it wouldn't be hard to just use a different color base material?

It wouldn't be difficult but it would cost to much to differentiate the production line that much for a small number of products. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back