Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Sep 2, 2016 at 9:24 PM Post #8,266 of 10,664

I have never used RockBox before but i'm fairly used to manually managing my own music.  I had to do it from my very first mp3 device (Nomad Jukebox original) all the way through the Zune, micro, muvo, all the way up through getting into ipods.  I am really not a huge fan of the Apple OS so i'm going to give this a try and see how it goes.  Just downloaded it to check it out with a few thousand songs :)

Any recommended themes to check out?

really like this ones: http://themes.rockbox.org/index.php?themeid=2454&target=ipod6g
http://themes.rockbox.org/index.php?themeid=2288&target=ipod6g
http://themes.rockbox.org/index.php?themeid=1286&target=ipod6g (but with the small change i made, so it has the tape from guardians of the galaxy :p )

Sep 4, 2016 at 9:14 AM Post #8,268 of 10,664
Hi again,

First of all thanks to all the dudes, who have kindly answred to  my questions :wink:

I have a library of music with flac only. At first I did n't wanted to switch to Rockbox because I did nt liked the interface. In fact I came back to ipos mostly for the simple and clean UI + clickwheel .

But I dont   feel to convert  more  than 100  GB of flac music into Alac. It would be long and messy.

I have found a "theme " that reproduce the same apple UI,
http://themes.rockbox.org/index.php?themeid=1309&target=ipodvideo

Have somebody used it ?  Does it look as pixelized on this screenshot   on the ipod?

Can we reorganize as we like the categories ? Like Music>Artist> Albums > Songs ?

Thanks.

Sep 4, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #8,269 of 10,664

i need to stop checking this thread before you b@stards inspire me to crack open my perfectly functional 256GB SDXC 7G iPod again, just to install a quad card with a big battery!!

Yeah, right ! .....Purchased 2x Takan Duals to improve a couple of 5.5G's about a week before the Quad came out....so I HAD to buy the Quad+2000mAh Battery & make another one up (I have 7 iPods to date !) just to see if it fits with slim back..& of course it does TO PERFECTION !

Should put the 2 Duals on e-bay now to replenish my costs BUT I CAN'T..they're like my children, can't part with them !

Anyone else feel like this about their iPods ?

Sep 4, 2016 at 4:03 PM Post #8,270 of 10,664
  Yeah, right ! .....Purchased 2x Takan Duals to improve a couple of 5.5G's about a week before the Quad came out....so I HAD to buy the Quad+2000mAh Battery & make another one up (I have 7 iPods to date !) just to see if it fits with slim back..& of course it does TO PERFECTION !

Should put the 2 Duals on e-bay now to replenish my costs BUT I CAN'T..they're like my children, can't part with them !

I do, you create affection to them like someone who fixes old cars does, the fact that you put work on it, gave it a new life, created something quite unique compared to what it was originally  and it can now support all of your personal music collection makes you attached to them.
I am way more attached to my ipod then i am to my cellphone.

Sep 4, 2016 at 4:29 PM Post #8,271 of 10,664
  I do, you create affection to them like someone who fixes old cars does, the fact that you put work on it, gave it a new life, created something quite unique compared to what it was originally  and it can now support all of your personal music collection makes you attached to them.
I am way more attached to my ipod then i am to my cellphone.

"Create something quite unique" hits the nail on the head..........You have something that you can't get in retail shops !

Sep 4, 2016 at 5:38 PM Post #8,272 of 10,664

Yeah.  It _really_ would be way more rational to sell the old ones to fund upgrades, but I can't manage to do it.  They're all slightly-different, after all.  I need more pairs of ears, to justify owning so many ipods.

(Also selling things on Ebay is a bit anxiety-inducing, so many things can go wrong as a seller, but that's a whole other issue).

Sep 6, 2016 at 1:28 AM Post #8,273 of 10,664
G'day all,

I've had the same 5g video since new, unfortunately it's a bit worse for wear and won't stay closed anymore so I haven't been using it so much anymore. I saw someone do an iflash conversion on Reddit and its inspired me to do a rebuild and convert at the same time.

At the moment the plan is:

New front panel (was looking at a 6g, but it seems like a bit of work to get them to fit, and then they're harder to get back open than the 5g?),
New thin rear panel,
2000mAh battery,
iflash quad.

From reading through the thread, the quad allows a thin back to house the expanded battery?

When people talk about requiring a thin headphone jack for the config I want, I assume they mean the headphone jack which suits the 30gb iPod 'shell'? Not a headphone jack which is physically slimmer than standard?

Thanks in advance for the help, the thread has been a great read so far.

Sep 6, 2016 at 7:12 AM Post #8,274 of 10,664
G'day all,

I've had the same 5g video since new, unfortunately it's a bit worse for wear and won't stay closed anymore so I haven't been using it so much anymore. I saw someone do an iflash conversion on Reddit and its inspired me to do a rebuild and convert at the same time.

At the moment the plan is:

New front panel (was looking at a 6g, but it seems like a bit of work to get them to fit, and then they're harder to get back open than the 5g?),
New thin rear panel,
2000mAh battery,
iflash quad.

From reading through the thread, the quad allows a thin back to house the expanded battery?

When people talk about requiring a thin headphone jack for the config I want, I assume they mean the headphone jack which suits the 30gb iPod 'shell'? Not a headphone jack which is physically slimmer than standard?

You've pretty much answered your own questions really:
6g IS slightly harder than the 5g to open but the more you open the better you become at it.
Yeah, thin HF jack just means as opposed to those found in the thick back plates.
The Tarkan Quad (IMHI) is a major breakthrough in modding as you can keep the thin back plate with the 2000mAH 'Super Battery'

I have roughly 170gb of music so in my latest conversion with the Quad, I used 4x 64MB Toshiba Exceria Micro SD SDXC Memory Card UHS-1 48MB/s (£11 ea.from 7DaysShop.com) This gave me 230gb of space which is more than enough even after future music expansion which is obviously ongoing.    Did a test on the 'SuperBatt' - found that it played non-stop for 42 hours.
Rockboxed & ready to go...been hammering it now for last 3 weeks   No glitches, just pure quality 320Kbps/flac tunage !

Just wanna take a second to compliment Tarkan...you're a freakin' GENIUS, mate !  ............IN YER FACE APPLE !!!!

Sep 6, 2016 at 8:05 AM Post #8,275 of 10,664

You've pretty much answered your own questions really:
6g IS slightly harder than the 5g to open but the more you open the better you become at it.
Yeah, thin HF jack just means as opposed to those found in the thick back plates.
The Tarkan Quad (IMHI) is a major breakthrough in modding as you can keep the thin back plate with the 2000mAH 'Super Battery'

I have roughly 170gb of music so in my latest conversion with the Quad, I used 4x 64MB Toshiba Exceria Micro SD SDXC Memory Card UHS-1 48MB/s (£11 ea.from 7DaysShop.com) This gave me 230gb of space which is more than enough even after future music expansion which is obviously ongoing.    Did a test on the 'SuperBatt' - found that it played non-stop for 42 hours.
Rockboxed & ready to go...been hammering it now for last 3 weeks   No glitches, just pure quality 320Kbps/flac tunage !

Just wanna take a second to compliment Tarkan...you're a freakin' GENIUS, mate !  ............IN YER FACE APPLE !!!!

Yeah, I tried to do as much research into it before posting, just wanted someone to look over my choices and confirm I hadn't made a huge oversight. Thanks for all your help!

Is Alex? the only reputable seller of the SuperBatt or are there others out there that people have found? I haven't been able to find any when searching eBay.

Sep 6, 2016 at 8:39 AM Post #8,277 of 10,664
keep in mind that the 6G is limited to 128GB if you're using iTunes.

I saw that on Tarkan's site. Fortunately I've got a 5G and at this stage wasn't planning on expanding past 64GB, I figured with a quad I can just keep buying 64gb cards when I need to expand.

I was planning on replacing the 5G front panel with a 6G, I think I like the look of them more. I found a thread where someone had done the same, but the pictures detailing the specific work required to make the 6G front fit the 5G pod were deleted from the image hosting site. Does anyone know if there's a post or thread anywhere which shows the specific grinding/filing that's required?

Sep 6, 2016 at 10:38 AM Post #8,279 of 10,664

I saw that on Tarkan's site. Fortunately I've got a 5G and at this stage wasn't planning on expanding past 64GB, I figured with a quad I can just keep buying 64gb cards when I need to expand.

I was planning on replacing the 5G front panel with a 6G, I think I like the look of them more. I found a thread where someone had done the same, but the pictures detailing the specific work required to make the 6G front fit the 5G pod were deleted from the image hosting site. Does anyone know if there's a post or thread anywhere which shows the specific grinding/filing that's required?

you have tow options, you use a 6g metal frame or you have do sand down this metal parts from the 5g metal frame
http://cdn.head-fi.org/6/6a/900x900px-LL-6a1cc1b9_IMG_2389.jpeg

Sep 6, 2016 at 6:57 PM Post #8,280 of 10,664
Has anybody else used www.3cparts.com to source parts? Thinking of ordering a few low key items like a new front faceplate for my non-modified 6G 160GB and black bezel for the 5.5G i'm modding.  No electronics unless you guys have had good experience with em.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back