Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Sep 6, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #6,391 of 10,664
Thanks guys. Also looking at way to customize the iPod, and came across this. This looks awesome. Especially the multi coloredbuttons on the 3rd ge neration iPod.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=281785831360&alt=web

Sep 6, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #6,392 of 10,664
  That iPod mini DIYmod looks cool and rather straightforward, I might give that a go on my mini.

My experience with the battery mirrors yours, either the batteries suck or the whole thing sucks in terms of power management. 

I bought this NewerTech replacement not so much for the brand or mAh rating, but because it is a trusted seller whom I've done lots of business with, if you get a bad one they will exchange it without a hassle which is more important to me than anything else.

I too have not tried any stamina/runtime testing with this battery, don't expect long runtime, you have the wrong iPod for that. Plus runtime always varies, it depends on how much the backlight is lit, how much hunting around the menu tree you do, etc...

I use mine as an exercise iPod, it's great for a couple of hours at the gym, cycling, hiking, because its so small and light and I don't care if it gets a little sweaty or takes other small abuse, it wasn't in mint condition in the first place.

I actually tried to turn the mini on last night and found out the battery is now dead! It doesn't respond to recharging. Apparently the battery not only drained but also became rotten after left for many months of no playing.

The silver and green versions of the mini's are my favorites. Operating that click wheel gives me that nice touch feeling. Too bad the battery and power efficiency don't match.

Edit: I believe that was the battery I used as replacement. It woke up after being plugged to power for a long time and now starts recharging. 

Sep 6, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #6,393 of 10,664
That's a great question. I think mainly I go with the SD as I can use it in my video camera and other devices. Plus I think I may have a few extra SD-CF adapters. I think. . And honestly I'd like to go with a 256GB SDXC for its pricing. What are the battery options for the mini and what's the battery time like? I'd love to diymod it, just don't have the skill right now, but one da I'll get there so I'll definitely follow that pic. Hows the change in sound with the mod vs no mod?

I also plan to polish the aluminum like the pic below (right side) and change the clickwheel like the one below for an awesome custom looking rig.

where did that black clickwheel come fron on the mini?

Sep 6, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #6,394 of 10,664
It's a click wheel from a 5th gen classic very slightly sanded down to fit. Not mine, but I PMed the guy who did it. He polished the aluminum too. This is the instructions I got from him.

The thread is from the ilounge forums.
Mini Projects
http://forums.ilounge.com/showthread.php?t=281039

Mini Projects

skins247 said:
 Hi....for the housing...you will have to remove the window...careful the bottom area likes to break...I start on the left side and once it starts to break free keep applying even pressure....You will need oven cleaner to remove the anodized paint...trust me...I've tried everything...You'll probably need 2 applications per side...let it sit about 15 to 20 minutes...too long will eat down too far....I use an SOS pad, then wet sand...then polish....

The click wheel and center button are from a 5th Generation classic...you will have to sand the back of both the click wheel and center button...there is an outer ridge and a few little tabs that stick up that need to be sanded flat....use the mini back as a guide...you will also have to sand the outer edge of the wheel...it is just a tiny bit too big and will hang up on the edges of the housing if you dont sand it down VERY Little...just be consistent in your sanding to keep the perfect circle...I remove the from the click wheel back (if any remains) as well as any on the click wheel assembly electronic piece to ensure a proper fit and hold....I slide the click wheel into place WITHOUT the new black outer and center button....then glue into place...just check its functionality before doing so....lengthy process, but I love the look....let me know if you need any more help....or help getting parts......Mike

Sep 7, 2015 at 2:52 AM Post #6,395 of 10,664

I actually tried to turn the mini on last night and found out the battery is now dead! It doesn't respond to recharging. Apparently the battery not only drained but also became rotten after left for many months of no playing.

The silver and green versions of the mini's are my favorites. Operating that click wheel gives me that nice touch feeling. Too bad the battery and power efficiency don't match.

Edit: I believe that was the battery I used as replacement. It woke up after being plugged to power for a long time and now starts recharging. 

UPDATE on the ipod mini battery:

With a complete flush and a full charge, it appears the battery is doing much better and more resilient now than what I could remember it did previously. 

Sep 9, 2015 at 6:12 PM Post #6,401 of 10,664
All, Gen7 Tarkan 512G SD is working great with Rockbox (RB). Loaded now with 20G free. Loads rates were generally poor - I was surprised. Nevertheless, after establishing the Gen7 works, but has the same 56,000 file limit as the Gen5 and 5,5 when using the native iOS, I switched. Now, I am comfortable saying PNY 512g is a go with RB.

Sep 9, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #6,402 of 10,664
Also, installed Samsung 840EVO from 32Ram Gen5 TeraPod into a Gen5.5 today. To my amazement, the 5.5, which had never seen RB before loaded up immediately on RB. Unfortunately, the same song dropout occur in the same places.

Loaded chip into computer. Song plays fine directly from the chip w/o dropouts. This one has me confused.

Sep 9, 2015 at 8:30 PM Post #6,403 of 10,664
All, Gen7 Tarkan 512G SD is working great with Rockbox (RB). Loaded now with 20G free. Loads rates were generally poor - I was surprised. Nevertheless, after establishing the Gen7 works, but has the same 56,000 file limit as the Gen5 and 5,5 when using the native iOS, I switched. Now, I am comfortable saying PNY 512g is a go with RB.
Would a mod like this would work with an external DAC like a Fostex HP-P1?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back