Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Sep 3, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #6,376 of 10,664

It means taking the case off the PC, getting an msata enclosure and a sata cable, and plugging the sata cable into the motherboard sata ports at one end and the enclosure at the other.

I don't use laptops (yet alone tablets!) so don't know what you do in that case.

I think someone here had success just using a USB3 (_not_ 2) msata adaptor and cable and usb3 port, which doesn't require going direct to the motherboard.  That might work with a laptop.

USB2 doesn't seem to work for this.

Hello ThinWalls,

hmmm, I've been trying the restore with a mSata to Sata to USB 3.0 on both of my laptops and on my PC no luck at all. All three of them tell me the same things on those 2 programms.
There are errors in the sectors - none of those 2 programs were able to finish the process - not even windows formatting to NTFS was working on any of them.

Enclosure, hmmm, do you maybe have a link?

So long,
JULIA

Sep 3, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #6,377 of 10,664
Julia,

To answer the question about the motherboard issue, the easiest way to format in a laptop would be using an msata to sata adapter and that's if your laptop has two bays for hard drives.  I have a laptop with 4 HDD bays so I took out one of my drives and used this type of adapter.  If connecting to a desktop motherboard, using a cable like the second link below would be the easy solution.  Hope this helps at least give you some options.

http://www.amazon.com/Syba-mSATA-2-5-Inch-Adapter-SY-ADA40050/dp/B007PPZ2I8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1441298760&sr=8-1&keywords=msata+sata+adapter

http://www.amazon.com/Syba-Cable-Molex-Adapter-CL-CAB40042/dp/B005BCNAWM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1441298905&sr=8-1&keywords=msata+sata+cable

Sep 3, 2015 at 6:18 PM Post #6,379 of 10,664
I apologize if this ends up being a double post, but I replaced the HDD of my iPod Classic 7g with the Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB mSATA 2-Inch SSD (MZ-M5E250BW) and mSATA SSD to 40 Pin ZIF Adapter Card as Toshiba or Hitachi ZIF HDD per recommendations I got on another forum, but I'm still getting the Red X error message.

Does anyone have any suggestions for resolving this issue?

Sep 4, 2015 at 4:08 AM Post #6,381 of 10,664
  Julia,

To answer the question about the motherboard issue, the easiest way to format in a laptop would be using an msata to sata adapter and that's if your laptop has two bays for hard drives.  I have a laptop with 4 HDD bays so I took out one of my drives and used this type of adapter.  If connecting to a desktop motherboard, using a cable like the second link below would be the easy solution.  Hope this helps at least give you some options.

http://www.amazon.com/Syba-mSATA-2-5-Inch-Adapter-SY-ADA40050/dp/B007PPZ2I8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1441298760&sr=8-1&keywords=msata+sata+adapter

http://www.amazon.com/Syba-Cable-Molex-Adapter-CL-CAB40042/dp/B005BCNAWM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1441298905&sr=8-1&keywords=msata+sata+cable

Hey DR650SE,

well, last night I tried what you advised. I do have a mSata to sata adapter and my 1st laptop has an extra "bay" for a 3.5" HD.
I exchanged the HD with the Sata adapter. Turned the laptop on, but the result was:
I saw the Win 10 logo and then a black screen for about 5-8 minutes, so I decided to turn off the laptop again.
I really do believe the mSata has "problems".

What do you think?

I was told the USB 3.0 port needs to have 4-5 Watts power. How can I find out if any of the motherboards of my laptops or my PC has that kind of "power/transfer speed"?

Greets,
JULIA

Sep 4, 2015 at 9:04 AM Post #6,382 of 10,664
Hmm, that's odd, I would ensure in the laptops bios, that you have it set to boot primarily from the HDD that you are using on the computer to run your operating system.  If that doesn't work, then I would try hot swapping the msata, or plugging it in once your laptop is already turned on.  This should pick up the msata drive much like a thumb drive is picked up once it's plugged in.

Sep 4, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #6,383 of 10,664
Hello DR650SE,

well, I tried that last night already and again today.  Sad, with the same result: Drive will not be recognized.
The mSata gets hot, but it will not appear in the explorer, nor in Computer Management.
EASEUS/AOMEI will not even start.

Remember it was a used  mSata, I don't know the reason, why it was sent back........

And now on top of all that, one of my 500GB mSata ipods keeps telling me the drive needs to be checked.
There was absolutely no problem with it until that with 1TB occured.

Bye for now, from a very frustrated & annoyed,
JULIA

Sep 5, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #6,384 of 10,664
Hey guys, I know the focus of this thread is the iPod classic model, but had a quick iPod mini question. I have a bid for a good condition ipod mini in on eBay. I plan to put in a 128GB SD card in it. Other than the CF adapter, is there anything else I need? What battery does it use? Is there an iMod type mod for the mini? Thanks!

Sep 5, 2015 at 10:12 PM Post #6,385 of 10,664
Hey guys, I know the focus of this thread is the iPod classic model, but had a quick iPod mini question. I have a bid for a good condition ipod mini in on eBay. I plan to put in a 128GB SD card in it. Other than the CF adapter, is there anything else I need? What battery does it use? Is there an iMod type mod for the mini? Thanks!

The 128GB CF is now sold for about 60 bucks. Is it still worth getting the Tarkan/SDXC combo instead of a single CF? I have a 2nd gen mini and the battery choice is limited and it seems to drain battery pretty fast.

I did a diymod on the mini. It's much simpler than the diymod for the 5g/5.5g. See the pic below. The capless diymod does sound very good with the capless UHA6S .

Sep 5, 2015 at 10:27 PM Post #6,386 of 10,664
That's a great question. I think mainly I go with the SD as I can use it in my video camera and other devices. Plus I think I may have a few extra SD-CF adapters. I think. . And honestly I'd like to go with a 256GB SDXC for its pricing. What are the battery options for the mini and what's the battery time like? I'd love to diymod it, just don't have the skill right now, but one da I'll get there so I'll definitely follow that pic. Hows the change in sound with the mod vs no mod?

I also plan to polish the aluminum like the pic below (right side) and change the clickwheel like the one below for an awesome custom looking rig.

Sep 5, 2015 at 10:44 PM Post #6,388 of 10,664
That's a great question. I think mainly I go with the SD as I can use it in my video camera and other devices. Plus I think I may have a few extra SD-CF adapters. I think. . And honestly I'd like to go with a 256GB SDXC for its pricing. What are the battery options for the mini and what's the battery time like? I'd love to diymod it, just don't have the skill right now, but one da I'll get there so I'll definitely follow that pic. Hows the change in sound with the mod vs no mod?

I also plan to polish the aluminum like the pic below (right side) and change the clickwheel like the one below for an awesome custom looking rig.

When I did the diymod I also replaced the battery. Don't remember where I bought the battery from, but the battery sucks or maybe the whole thing sucks in terms of power efficiency. Never tested the battery in terms of playing hrs from a full charge. I think the mod sounds more organic (less colored).

The mini does look awesome and very well built. 

Sep 5, 2015 at 11:02 PM Post #6,389 of 10,664
Yea, I've put off getting a mini for too long. Tonight after seeing how cheap they are on eBay I decided to pull the trigger. This week I have a 4th gen nano coming as well. It's a replace a 4th gen nano that I killed in the washing machine. For some reason that one was special to me and I finally pulled the trigger on replacing it. So once my eBay auction ends I'll have that coming as well.

Oh, and this may be the most amazing iPod mods I have ever seen.

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/7609258@N07/sets/72157619759688600/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back