Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Sep 10, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #6,406 of 10,664
Here's something fun. I had a really trashed Gen7 in my parts box. I think it dropped from a moving motorcycle. Anyway, rebuilt it yesterday and today using left over parts. Sanded down the body and primed and painted it. Tried to TeraPod it with a Samsung 840EVO and a Tarkan adapter, which went pretty well until I tried to RockBox it. That didn't work so well. It kept getting stuck on the reformatting step with EMCORE. After four tries and two different computers, I gave up.

But, I had an extra Tarkan SD adapter (the new thin one) and a 250G Lexar (which never worked very well in my Gen5.5. I put them together with a 2000mAh battery and I will test this thing next week. Check out the new red color. Pretty spiffy.

Sep 10, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #6,409 of 10,664
  Here's something fun. I had a really trashed Gen7 in my parts box. I think it dropped from a moving motorcycle. Anyway, rebuilt it yesterday and today using left over parts. Sanded down the body and primed and painted it. Tried to TeraPod it with a Samsung 840EVO and a Tarkan adapter, which went pretty well until I tried to RockBox it. That didn't work so well. It kept getting stuck on the reformatting step with EMCORE. After four tries and two different computers, I gave up.

But, I had an extra Tarkan SD adapter (the new thin one) and a 250G Lexar (which never worked very well in my Gen5.5. I put them together with a 2000mAh battery and I will test this thing next week. Check out the new red color. Pretty spiffy.

so, to be clear, this is a thin/slim 7G iPod with its original thin/slim backplate and the slim Tarkan adapter + a 2000mAh battery?

love the rattle-can finish!
beerchug.gif

Sep 10, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #6,410 of 10,664
so, to be clear, this is a thin/slim 7G iPod with its original thin/slim backplate and the slim Tarkan adapter + a 2000mAh battery?

love the rattle-can finish!
:beerchug:  

It was a thin-black 7G to start. I installed a slim Tarkan SD adapter and the 2000 mAh battery, so I had to put on a thick back. Besides, the original thin back was trashed anyway. I don't know of any way to install a 2000 mAh battery without using a thick back. Yet.

Sep 11, 2015 at 8:44 AM Post #6,411 of 10,664
It was a thin-black 7G to start. I installed a slim Tarkan SD adapter and the 2000 mAh battery, so I had to put on a thick back. Besides, the original thin back was trashed anyway. I don't know of any way to install a 2000 mAh battery without using a thick back. Yet.

thanks for the clarification. i'm on the verge of doing a Tarkan SDXC upgrade to my 160GB slim 7G Classic and haven't had any luck finding quality replacement batteries. have already gone thru 3 different batteries on my 256GB SDXC 5G Video and they all pretty much suck. :mad:

Sep 11, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #6,412 of 10,664
All, this is a follow-up on the testing of the 32RAM and the 64RAM Gen5.0 boards with TeraPod Rockbox. The builds use a Tarkan mSata adapter and Samsung 840EVO 1T mSata loaded with Beyondwind's Rockbox fix for mSatas. Computer is Win10.

1. Original TeraPod Gen5.0 32RAM began to suffer playback dropouts at somewhere around 600G loaded. 
  2. Switched chip and adapter into clean Gen5.5 and dropouts remained.
  3. Put chip directly into computer. Played offending files directly from chip to computer - no dropouts. Performed surface scan and everything was clean. Chip diagnostics were fine.
  4. Replaced chip into 32RAM, dropouts continue to be in same files.
  5. Reloaded offending files. Playback dropouts continue in same 3 files.
  6. Reformatted chip on computer, installed it into clean Gen5.5 with 64RAM. Restored in iTunes and installed Beyondwind Rockbox,
  7. Removed chip, put it into computer. Loaded 625G files.
  8. Replaced chip into Gen5.0 64RAM - no dropouts in offending files.
  9. Replaced chip into Gen5.0 32RAM - no dropouts in offending files.

My hypothesis was that the 32RAM had finally been taxed. This was not proven. Because I could not isolate the issue as either chip or board, I cannot conclude there is any problem with the G5.0 32RAM board+chip combination. The fact that I could reload the files and get the same result on the 32RAM is perplexing. I have never had this issue with the Gen5.5 boards - but I haven't actually tested EVERY file on the chip. 

I speculate that the chip just may have had an issue which is now either resolved or now at a different file now that I have reformatted and reinstalled. Of course, I will update if I learn more.

Sep 11, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #6,413 of 10,664
This caught my interest. I'd been thinking about doing a "Mod revival" colour scheme - red centre button, white scroll wheel, blue front. Any ideas what I could paint the centre button with for it to be durable? And painting the front with a nice bright glossy blue? I guess I could use a standard white scroll wheel but what about removing or painting over the symbols to give it a minimalist white look?

I've got a few spares to practice on but if anyone can pass on experience, it would be appreciated.

Sep 11, 2015 at 7:42 PM Post #6,414 of 10,664
EyuiOL-8ff.jpg
Akwpa-Skj2.jpg
  All, this is a follow-up on the testing of the 32RAM and the 64RAM Gen5.0 boards with TeraPod Rockbox. The builds use a Tarkan mSata adapter and Samsung 840EVO 1T mSata loaded with Beyondwind's Rockbox fix for mSatas. Computer is Win10.

1. Original TeraPod Gen5.0 32RAM began to suffer playback dropouts at somewhere around 600G loaded. 
  2. Switched chip and adapter into clean Gen5.5 and dropouts remained.
  3. Put chip directly into computer. Played offending files directly from chip to computer - no dropouts. Performed surface scan and everything was clean. Chip diagnostics were fine.
  4. Replaced chip into 32RAM, dropouts continue to be in same files.
  5. Reloaded offending files. Playback dropouts continue in same 3 files.
  6. Reformatted chip on computer, installed it into clean Gen5.5 with 64RAM. Restored in iTunes and installed Beyondwind Rockbox,
  7. Removed chip, put it into computer. Loaded 625G files.
  8. Replaced chip into Gen5.0 64RAM - no dropouts in offending files.
  9. Replaced chip into Gen5.0 32RAM - no dropouts in offending files.

My hypothesis was that the 32RAM had finally been taxed. This was not proven. Because I could not isolate the issue as either chip or board, I cannot conclude there is any problem with the G5.0 32RAM board+chip combination. The fact that I could reload the files and get the same result on the 32RAM is perplexing. I have never had this issue with the Gen5.5 boards - but I haven't actually tested EVERY file on the chip. 

I speculate that the chip just may have had an issue which is now either resolved or now at a different file now that I have reformatted and reinstalled. Of course, I will update if I learn more.

Good stuff! Thanks!

Sep 14, 2015 at 1:33 AM Post #6,415 of 10,664
Now this is pretty cool. Just search "1TB iPod" on eBay. I may get a 256GB one if I decide to build an all black iPod. Something for all the different builds for dr408517 :p

Sep 16, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #6,418 of 10,664
Hey All,

First off this thread is awesome and it is very helpful!

I have a 5g Video which I have installed a 250GB Crucial mSATA MX200 SSD with the Tarken adapter and an upgraded battery.

My issue is that when I sync my iPod it completes with no issues. Then when I eject the iPod and then try to search for music on it to play there is absolutely no music listed. In iTunes when it is connected I see that is says I have all the audio files on my ipod and I can even play them with iTunes. In Windows Explorer I can see the "Music" Folder in the "Ipod Control" folder and it has all the music as well. Why can't the iPod see the music on the HD and play it? Is there a possibility I have a loose cable or bade connection somewhere? I checked and all the cables do seem to be connected tight.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Sep 16, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #6,420 of 10,664
  So you're saying you can't play any song?  How many songs did you sync?

I can't even see any songs listed on the Ipod so I don't even have the opportunity to try and play one. All music is empty, Playlist empty etc...

I sync'ed my whole library which is 27066 songs. This worked previously on my older logic board but I had to replace it. Hopefully it is not the new logic board I got but it seems weird that Itunes can see and play the music but the iPod can't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back