Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Sep 17, 2015 at 7:16 AM Post #6,422 of 10,664

I can't even see any songs listed on the Ipod so I don't even have the opportunity to try and play one. All music is empty, Playlist empty etc...

I sync'ed my whole library which is 27066 songs. This worked previously on my older logic board but I had to replace it. Hopefully it is not the new logic board I got but it seems weird that Itunes can see and play the music but the iPod can't.

Is that not what happens when the board doesn't have enough memory for the number of tracks? (I can't remember what the limit is for each board, but a 64mb board should be fine with that number, but maybe a 32mb board might not be?).  You could try rockboxing it, I guess.

I've just built one out of a 256gb card and a 30gb 5th gen (as that was all I had left to put the card in) and was actually surprised to find when rockboxed it works perfectly well, even with a huge number of tracks.  Interested to find the lower memory doesn't seem to make a lot of difference, though it must require more frequent card-reads when playing, possibly shortening the battery life?

Sep 17, 2015 at 11:13 PM Post #6,423 of 10,664
  Try syncing just a few files on there first. Is your 5G the 30 or 60GB model?

Thanks for the reply.

I am going to sync a couple playlists tonight and see if that come across properly and let you guys know what happens. I do have a 5G 30GB board so I would only have the 32MB of RAM. Does anybody know what the song limit is for that board? I went back through the thread and I thinks somebody said around 30,000 songs is the limit which I am already pretty much.

Sep 17, 2015 at 11:16 PM Post #6,424 of 10,664

Is that not what happens when the board doesn't have enough memory for the number of tracks? (I can't remember what the limit is for each board, but a 64mb board should be fine with that number, but maybe a 32mb board might not be?).  You could try rockboxing it, I guess.

I've just built one out of a 256gb card and a 30gb 5th gen (as that was all I had left to put the card in) and was actually surprised to find when rockboxed it works perfectly well, even with a huge number of tracks.  Interested to find the lower memory doesn't seem to make a lot of difference, though it must require more frequent card-reads when playing, possibly shortening the battery life?

Thanks for your explanation.

It makes more sense now that it wouldn't work with the 32MB board I have. I will try Rockbox and see what happens. The only issue I guess I would have is that I want to use the iPod with my car which has an iPod adapter. I am assuming that you can't use Rockbox when connecting to devices that connect to the iPod directly? They would need the stock apple firmware?

Sep 17, 2015 at 11:23 PM Post #6,425 of 10,664
Just drop a few hundred songs on there.  I believe the limit is around 20k-30k depending on how much metadata you have stored on your music.  I don't think RockBox will work with a car radio setup since it requires the iPod running the normal firmware. 

Sep 18, 2015 at 12:42 AM Post #6,426 of 10,664
  Just drop a few hundred songs on there.  I believe the limit is around 20k-30k depending on how much metadata you have stored on your music.  I don't think RockBox will work with a car radio setup since it requires the iPod running the normal firmware.

I dropped a few playlists on there and things are working now. Must be the limit with the memory. My goal was to have all my music on the iPod so maybe I will buy another logic board with the larger memory.

Thanks guys for the help. Really appreciate it.

Sep 18, 2015 at 11:29 PM Post #6,432 of 10,664
Wow, Tarkenis money! This will elim inate the need for power hungry msata drives which in my experience were unreliable.

One question, can you fit a 2000 mAh battery in there? I'm assuming yes since you no longer need a CF to SD adaptor. :-D :-D :-D

Sep 19, 2015 at 7:12 AM Post #6,435 of 10,664
What's the next step down from the 2000mah battery that will fit with the new dual adaptor with a thin back?

Sadly, just the normal 540mah one, or some rather optimistically-labelled one of the same size (I'm just not convinced that putting a bigger number on the label actually increases the capacity!  I think really it largely depends on the physical size - plus the age).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back