Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Sep 1, 2015 at 8:16 AM Post #6,361 of 10,664

@juwel1998 Ah nice, good job! Let us know how the SSD handles it when you start putting music on it. I've read they can get quite hot, so you should preferably not put too much on it at once.

Sep 1, 2015 at 9:10 AM Post #6,362 of 10,664
Hello TheRealMVT,

since the battery seems to be not fully OK, I will probably only stacks of max 100GB to 150GB on it.
Well, yet I haven't really modified the music the way I would like (it's a lot of work), so I will put on mainly wave datas.

With modified I mean, cut the waves in a way, so there will be no gaps in between the songs.
As well I am putting meta-data to the waves (with media monkey), which is another work load.

And on top I have to add all my wave data to itunes in the first place.
I have playlists on my 1st laptop that I will have to transfer to my wave/alac laptop.

To make an extreme long story short, a lot of work is still in front of me.

I had ordered 2   2000 mAh batteries from Alex. They have to be getting here, so I can upgrade my  wave/alac ipod and my mp3-ipod.
This will take maybe even up to 4 weeks. I don't actually know.

So long folks,
JULIA

Sep 1, 2015 at 7:53 PM Post #6,363 of 10,664
  Hello TheRealMVT,

since the battery seems to be not fully OK, I will probably only stacks of max 100GB to 150GB on it.
Well, yet I haven't really modified the music the way I would like (it's a lot of work), so I will put on mainly wave datas.

With modified I mean, cut the waves in a way, so there will be no gaps in between the songs.
As well I am putting meta-data to the waves (with media monkey), which is another work load.

And on top I have to add all my wave data to itunes in the first place.
I have playlists on my 1st laptop that I will have to transfer to my wave/alac laptop.

To make an extreme long story short, a lot of work is still in front of me.

I had ordered 2   2000 mAh batteries from Alex. They have to be getting here, so I can upgrade my  wave/alac ipod and my mp3-ipod.
This will take maybe even up to 4 weeks. I don't actually know.

So long folks,
JULIA

Hi Julia,

Just won a mint ipod 5.5. 80gb on e b a y!

Can you tell me about this battery from Alex? You sound informed so would like to know who this Alex is and why you chose to use his batteries?

Sep 1, 2015 at 10:50 PM Post #6,364 of 10,664
@dr408517 Thank you SO much for posting your wrap up. That being said, any news on any issues on the 7.5G TeraPod mSATA using Apple software ? 
I managed to get a brand new (refurbished) Late 2009 7.5 straight from Apple this March.
I currently have slighty above 10k songs in the original 160GB. I only listen to 320kbps.

I only post here maybe twice a year lol but I really want to get it done hopefully by this year. Everyday I find new music that I want on my iPod and have no space left :frowning2:

Btw, is it hard/risky to the Mod altogheter on this model.. I mean phisically are there chances you might break something in the process ? 

I changed to HDD of a 5.5G once on my own and it was acceptably easy, but the metal frame of the 7.5G I bet it's quite harder to get out.

Thanks in advance for the reply

The Gen6 and 7 are hard to take apart, at first. But once you get the hang of it, it's really not different than the Gen5. I have some steel guitar pics I use that work really well.

Sep 2, 2015 at 4:08 AM Post #6,365 of 10,664
Has anyone else noticed that with the iFlash adapter the built in amp works much better? With the original HDD I had to crank up the volume to 60 - 70%, while now I only need 40% of volume. Could this be attributed to the HDD using more amperage, so it left less juice to the built in amp?

Sep 2, 2015 at 6:22 AM Post #6,366 of 10,664
Great forum - thanks very much.

I have built a few 5th gen and 6th gen modded iPods now and I am having problems with the clickwheel. Using either the same clickwheel or a new (eBay) clickwheel the sensitivity doesn't seem to be as good. By this I mean that the clickwheel doesn't seem to scroll through the lists of songs quite as good the capital letters to speed up the scrolling often do not appear. The clickwheel seems to stutter.

The buttons work fine but the scrolling doesn't.

I am running the latest software so I know it isn't a software issue.

Any suggestions?

Sep 2, 2015 at 8:03 AM Post #6,369 of 10,664
To everyone,

sad me. After not even have put 100GB on my   1TB mSata ipod  the battery drained.....  even though I used the dual USB/Firewire lead.
I tried AOMEI and EASEUS  to  rebuild the MBR and format the mSata,  but both  AOMEI and EASEUS told me, the mSata has bad sectors, so formatting couldn't be finished.

So the mSata goes back and I need to get a new one. 

So more time will pass before I can actually start to put music on my 1st  1TB ipod.

Bye,
JULIA

Sep 2, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #6,370 of 10,664
  Has anyone else noticed that with the iFlash adapter the built in amp works much better? With the original HDD I had to crank up the volume to 60 - 70%, while now I only need 40% of volume. Could this be attributed to the HDD using more amperage, so it left less juice to the built in amp?

No, it should not be any different.  Both the hard drive and the SDXC adapter get cut out with power when you're playing music, so the amp is seeing the same power. 

Sep 2, 2015 at 6:47 PM Post #6,371 of 10,664
  To everyone,

sad me. After not even have put 100GB on my   1TB mSata ipod  the battery drained.....  even though I used the dual USB/Firewire lead.
I tried AOMEI and EASEUS  to  rebuild the MBR and format the mSata,  but both  AOMEI and EASEUS told me, the mSata has bad sectors, so formatting couldn't be finished.

So the mSata goes back and I need to get a new one. 

So more time will pass before I can actually start to put music on my 1st  1TB ipod.

Bye,
JULIA

Nothing wrong with the 1TB msata and what you need to do is to refresh it thru the mother board. You can do a search and read old posts on this issue.

I haven't been following this thread lately, but it's my understanding that it's almost impossible to fully load the 1TB msata via USB. Get an ipod 5g (the 30gb or 60gb stock) and load this baby thru mother board not only fully but quickly. That's what I have done and am a happy camper.

Sep 3, 2015 at 3:30 AM Post #6,372 of 10,664

No, it should not be any different.  Both the hard drive and the SDXC adapter get cut out with power when you're playing music, so the amp is seeing the same power. 

Thanks, I think I have found the issue. Apparently I was listening to an album with boosted volume embedded in the song within iTunes...

Sep 3, 2015 at 5:27 AM Post #6,373 of 10,664

Nothing wrong with the 1TB msata and what you need to do is to refresh it thru the mother board. You can do a search and read old posts on this issue.

I haven't been following this thread lately, but it's my understanding that it's almost impossible to fully load the 1TB msata via USB. Get an ipod 5g (the 30gb or 60gb stock) and load this baby thru mother board not only fully but quickly. That's what I have done and am a happy camper.

Hello DMinor,

welI, that was a used item from amazon marketplace, maybe it has bad sectors. That might have been the reason it was returned to amazon in the first place. 

I have read this several times, and never really understood, what you guys meant.
Does it mean I have to take my PC apart?  If yes, where and how do I connect the mSata to the motherboard?
And if I did not have a PC, how could I solve the problem with my laptop.
Could you please explain a little more specific?
Thanks in advance.
My PC has the Gigabyte  880GMA-UD2H, as far as I can see,  I cannot see a mSata connection.

I used a mSata to Sata to USB 3.0 connection. That worked fine with the 500GB mSata's, why shouldn't it work the the 1TB mSata?

Well, getting a 5g iPod in Germany is quite difficult.

Greets,
JULIA

Sep 3, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #6,375 of 10,664

Hello DMinor,

welI, that was a used item from amazon marketplace, maybe it has bad sectors. That might have been the reason it was returned to amazon in the first place. 

I have read this several times, and never really understood, what you guys meant.
Does it mean I have to take my PC apart?  If yes, where and how do I connect the mSata to the motherboard?
And if I did not have a PC, how could I solve the problem with my laptop.
Could you please explain a little more specific?
Thanks in advance.
My PC has the Gigabyte  880GMA-UD2H, as far as I can see,  I cannot see a mSata connection.

I used a mSata to Sata to USB 3.0 connection. That worked fine with the 500GB mSata's, why shouldn't it work the the 1TB mSata?

Well, getting a 5g iPod in Germany is quite difficult.

Greets,
JULIA

It means taking the case off the PC, getting an msata enclosure and a sata cable, and plugging the sata cable into the motherboard sata ports at one end and the enclosure at the other.

I don't use laptops (yet alone tablets!) so don't know what you do in that case.

I think someone here had success just using a USB3 (_not_ 2) msata adaptor and cable and usb3 port, which doesn't require going direct to the motherboard.  That might work with a laptop.

USB2 doesn't seem to work for this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back