Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Apr 15, 2018 at 6:13 PM Post #9,466 of 10,664
Well I initially changed to a slim back and a 580mah battery. But had maybe two hours runtime, so just wanted to know what size battery I can get away with in a 5.5 without buying another back.

Looking around posts I might have had a bit of a dud battery.

Either a dud battery _or_ you have a fault with the ipod that is causing the battery to drain continually. I recall reading people having that issue, I think somebody even found a workaround for the fault. Can't remember where I read it.

Two hours is way too short. Something's wrong somewhere, hardware-wise.

Apr 15, 2018 at 6:47 PM Post #9,467 of 10,664
Thanks ThinWalls and iMig, Turns out my girlfriend had a classic with a faulty hard drive so I ended up making one from my 30gb housing, new battery jack etc and iFlash +32gb microSD and her mainboard/front. Not the original plan but happy with the result all the same.

Apr 22, 2018 at 3:46 AM Post #9,469 of 10,664
I am thinking about buying one of these off of ebay anyone have any experiences with sellers and which is reliable.. There seems to be a bunch of different ones out there and just want to make sure I get it from someone dependable.

Apr 22, 2018 at 10:59 AM Post #9,470 of 10,664
I am thinking about buying one of these off of ebay

You just need to use ebay common sense. Look at where it's being shipped from, look at the sellers feedback rating, look closely at the items that catch your interest and compare it to lots of other ones. It's mostly individuals selling these, so spend some time. There are a few Chinese/Asian vendors selling complete new in the box units - I'd steer clear of these, they might be fakes, but maybe not. I've bought 4 from US based sellers, and after doing the above due diligence they all arrived as advertised.

Apr 23, 2018 at 6:02 PM Post #9,471 of 10,664
I was reading this guide on the different batteries and required backplates for each one.

I was wondering, how different in size are the iFlash-Quad and the iFlash-CF? I ask because according to that table, the thin backplate is good enough for a 2000 mAh battery if using the iFlash-Quad but not the iFlash-CF—and they both look practically the same to me.

Apr 23, 2018 at 8:39 PM Post #9,472 of 10,664
I was reading this guide on the different batteries and required backplates for each one.

I was wondering, how different in size are the iFlash-Quad and the iFlash-CF? I ask because according to that table, the thin backplate is good enough for a 2000 mAh battery if using the iFlash-Quad but not the iFlash-CF—and they both look practically the same to me.

All the relevant information is in this very thread, but it's quite hard to find now.

The IFlash-CF was the original Iflash, and it's significantly thicker than the later ones (thicker than the duo and the solo, yet alone the quad). You could use it with a thick back plate and a 2000mah battery only if you used a CF-SD adaptor and then dismantled the CF-SD card adaptor so as to make it thinner (turning a type II adaptor into a type I, or maybe the other way round). I still have one of those. There are pictures of someone doing it here. Even doing this, it still needs a thick back plate.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/off...-ssd-mod-thread.566780/page-391#post-11597409

But then the duo appeared, which allowed you to use a 2000mah battery (and a thick back - a thin still won't work). Ditto the later 'solo', and maybe the iFlashCF if you use a compatible type I adaptor (which it looks as if Tarkan now sells, but for a long time didn't seem to exist!).

But only the quad (which is thinner still) allows a 2000mah and a thin back.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2018 at 12:35 AM Post #9,473 of 10,664
Hey guys! Long time no see.

What happened to the SD card market? Two years ago I bought a 256GB SD card on Amazon for $65, and now the cheapest is around $85 or more. Why did they go up so much so long after? Seems it should have worked the other way around.

Anyway I wanted to put a 256GB into my iPod mini. Remember those? Figure it'd be a great rig for the car.
Dan

Last edited:
May 1, 2018 at 3:47 PM Post #9,474 of 10,664
Hey guys! Long time no see.

What happened to the SD card market? Two years ago I bought a 256GB SD card on Amazon for $65, and now the cheapest is around $85 or more. Why did they go up so much so long after? Seems it should have worked the other way around.

Anyway I wanted to put a 256GB into my iPod mini. Remember those? Figure it'd be a great rig for the car.
Dan
I don´t know why this happens but you are all right. SD card are expensive nowadays…

May 3, 2018 at 12:58 AM Post #9,476 of 10,664
Looking at getting one of these custom Ipods with the Wolfson DAC.. How do these compare to other players in the price range of $400 I have gr07's, I'm just curious if it can compete in terms of audio or is it not worth it? Or maybe an amp would be something to look into?

May 5, 2018 at 1:28 AM Post #9,479 of 10,664
Need a bit of help / advice

I have an ipod classic (modified CF card) that was working. It froze up and I formatted the card again. The computer sees it as an Ipod and Itunes says it has to be restored.
I try the restore and get "The iPod "iPod" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (1441)".
It still shows up on the computer and the ipod screen shows all the regular menu items but no music and will not restore.
Any suggestions?
Also any trusted repair places out there? I have a couple that need repairs.
Thanks.

May 15, 2018 at 9:24 AM Post #9,480 of 10,664
Need a bit of help / advice

I have an ipod classic (modified CF card) that was working. It froze up and I formatted the card again. The computer sees it as an Ipod and Itunes says it has to be restored.
I try the restore and get "The iPod "iPod" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (1441)".
It still shows up on the computer and the ipod screen shows all the regular menu items but no music and will not restore.
Any suggestions?
Also any trusted repair places out there? I have a couple that need repairs.
Thanks.

there's always a few things you can try:
A: try another cable, apple seems to be a bit iffy with their cables.
B: did you format it to the right format? if not, see option D
C: get your ipod in 'disk mode' and try to restore it that way
D: take out the CF card, manually format it to either FAT32 or whatever macOS would

within iTunes it's possible to restore using manually saved firmware, by holding the shift key when clicking on 'restore'
firmware can be found on felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/ (be sure to select the correct one for your model)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back