Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
May 16, 2018 at 3:36 PM Post #9,481 of 10,664
there's always a few things you can try:
A: try another cable, apple seems to be a bit iffy with their cables.
B: did you format it to the right format? if not, see option D
C: get your ipod in 'disk mode' and try to restore it that way
D: take out the CF card, manually format it to either FAT32 or whatever macOS would

within iTunes it's possible to restore using manually saved firmware, by holding the shift key when clicking on 'restore'
firmware can be found on felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/ (be sure to select the correct one for your model)

Thanks for the info

May 21, 2018 at 12:06 AM Post #9,482 of 10,664
Are there any new high-quality housings for the iPod 5.5 out?
Mine's the 5.5 video with an SSD / larger battery / thin back swapped in.

It sounds good and works well, but the plastic fronts and polished backs scratch so easily. I notice there are black backs available now, would these be any more durable? I also see you can fit a 6/7th gen faceplate but looks like a lot of effort with clickwheel compatibility etc.

Looking at getting one of these custom Ipods with the Wolfson DAC.. How do these compare to other players in the price range of $400 I have gr07's, I'm just curious if it can compete in terms of audio or is it not worth it? Or maybe an amp would be something to look into?
The Wolfson iPod + GR07 is an excellent combo, though the GR07 is a nice easy load with a fairly flat impedance curve so it plays well with most things anyway - much better than most multi-driver units. Certainly not an IEM you need an amp for, least not with any Apple DAC I've tried. Anyway, the pair do sound very nice together.

Jun 8, 2018 at 3:27 PM Post #9,485 of 10,664
Hi All,
I love this thread, because I just started modding my ipods.
My library contains 65000 Songs mostly lossless.
On Rockbox I don’t have problems, but I would rather stay with Apple Os, even though I hate ITunes.
I found this nice app called Floola, I can put music on my apple OS iPod by dragging and dropping.
Floola has the option to shrink the database,

Did anyone use that feature and was able to use more than 50000 songs in Apple Os on iPod 7 or iPod 5.5?

Please let me know.
Thanks
Pommes

Jun 9, 2018 at 10:05 AM Post #9,486 of 10,664
Hi All,
I love this thread, because I just started modding my ipods.
My library contains 65000 Songs mostly lossless.
On Rockbox I don’t have problems, but I would rather stay with Apple Os, even though I hate ITunes.
I found this nice app called Floola, I can put music on my apple OS iPod by dragging and dropping.
Floola has the option to shrink the database,

Did anyone use that feature and was able to use more than 50000 songs in Apple Os on iPod 7 or iPod 5.5?

Please let me know.
Thanks
Pommes

So i was able to shrink the database on my unmodded Ipod 7.
about 17000 songs tha Database was originnaly 26mb, i was able to bring it to 13 mb which is half, but the albumart disappeared.
I settled to shrink it to 20 mb, which is alt least 20% less than original, albumart is there.
I am copying the whole 65000 songs to my modded 5.5 now, but it takes awfuly long.
I will then tell you if it works with 65000 songs and apple os...:)

Jun 10, 2018 at 2:55 PM Post #9,489 of 10,664
Sad News regarding shrinking the database:
I transfered 49600 songs, the database was 75 mb.
I shrinked it to about 50mb.
It took about 5 minutes to boot the iPod then, and the gui was very unresponsive.
I could play music from albums and artists, but shuffle songs, the feature i like most doesn't work.
I will just stick with Rockbox, i like it.
Only big disadvantage it doesn't work with my toyota and shuffle all songs is kind of really complicate.

Does anybody know, why Rockbox for iPod Classic is regarded unstable?
I have Rockbox on 5.5 and classic 7, and i can not find any difference?

Jun 10, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #9,490 of 10,664
Something similar happened to me on stock firmware. I didn’t try to shrink database. I had dual sd tarkan 512gb on an 80gb 5.5 gen. I couldn’t use the “songs” feature. But everything else worked fine. About a year later I was in Europe and I used a fast charger and may have damaged the 30 pin connectors. One of those Verizon chargers that are for newer devices. I was told that may have been the culprit.

I also have a working 80gb 5.5 gen that may need a new IC chip. If anyone is interested in trying to get these back up to speed, let me know. I’d be happy to pay and donate the extra parts. As in the other Ipod. I just want one working one.

Jun 11, 2018 at 5:21 PM Post #9,491 of 10,664
Hi,
I have a question:
I have an 5.5 80 gig iPod video and an 7.5 160 iPod classic.
Which one would you recommend for a tarkan micro sd board?
I can not say that the 5.5 sounds better, and i think the 7.5 runs much faster.
I want to use rockbox because i will have 65000 files on the iPod.
Anything against using the 7.5? How about battery life, i know the 7.5 runs much longer on stock os.
Is this because of the difference in HD or also motherboard modifications?
Anybody would share experience, please?
Thanks

Jun 12, 2018 at 4:17 PM Post #9,492 of 10,664
Hi,
I have a question:
I have an 5.5 80 gig iPod video and an 7.5 160 iPod classic.
Which one would you recommend for a tarkan micro sd board?
I can not say that the 5.5 sounds better, and i think the 7.5 runs much faster.
I want to use rockbox because i will have 65000 files on the iPod.
Anything against using the 7.5? How about battery life, i know the 7.5 runs much longer on stock os.
Is this because of the difference in HD or also motherboard modifications?
Anybody would share experience, please?
Thanks
Battery life is better on the 7.5 but I'm not sure how much of that is due to OF. Using Rockbox, battery life could possibly be similar. The 7.5 should respond faster. The 5.5 will be easier to open. I use 5.5 ipods because I can open them in under a minute and they're cheaper to buy.

Jun 12, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #9,493 of 10,664
I just installed my 800 GB into the iPod 7.5,
Transfer iis much faster than on the 5.5, and building the database is much much faster.
Unfortunately I had issues.
After every boot I had to rebuild the database:frowning2:
I just read on some rock box forum that there seems to be issues especially with the Tarcan quad I flash, and rock box on iPods Classics
Very strange is that it worked until I put more songs on the iPod and tried to update the database.

Jun 12, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #9,494 of 10,664
I just installed my 800 GB into the iPod 7.5,
Transfer iis much faster than on the 5.5, and building the database is much much faster.
Unfortunately I had issues.
After every boot I had to rebuild the database:frowning2:
I just read on some rock box forum that there seems to be issues especially with the Tarcan quad I flash, and rock box on iPods Classics
Very strange is that it worked until I put more songs on the iPod and tried to update the database.

There is a known issue with rockbox and all of these later ipods in that file transfers can be corrupted if you transfer while booted to rockbox. The easy solution is to boot into the apple firmware before connecting to your computer and transferring files. I'm not sure if that's causing your issue, but it might be worth pointing out if you didn't know about this already.

As to an earlier post you made asking about differences between 5.5 ipods and version 7 ipods - I have several of both, and find the 5.5 ones to be much better sounding, to my ears. Running the same files, I found the 5.5 ipod to be much "clearer" sounding in the mid-high end, and have slightly more bass. The high end was the decisive difference - the 7 is a bit louder, but the high end has a very "digital" sound, unlike the much more natural sounding high end of the 5.5. These comparisons were made with identical versions of rockbox - I haven't tried the stock firmware to any extent in either. Whether others would hear these same differences, I don't know. I have identical tarkan solo sd card adaptors in all of the ipods, and the biggest difference I can tell you physically is similar to what morefilling mentioned - the 5.5 is MUCH easier to open up.

Jun 12, 2018 at 5:30 PM Post #9,495 of 10,664
Thank you,
I transfer all the files in Apple mode, because I have heard of the USB issue when in rock box.
I am transferring all the files tonight, I hope I can get a working database tomorrow.
I tried several times, even deleted Rockbox folder but I had this issue, so I did a fresh restore of the iPod.
I know that people claim that the 55 sounds better than the newer models, but I cannot really tell the difference, only that the seven is much louder than the five
Yes, the five is much easier to open, but I can also open the classic in two or three minutes now, you just need the right tool for it .
I like the newer model more because of its form factor, and because the CPU is much better, everything works much faster.
I will tell you tomorrow if I got it working, otherwise I will just install everything in the old iPod five.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back