Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Jun 13, 2018 at 5:56 AM Post #9,496 of 10,664
I just installed my 800 GB into the iPod 7.5,
After every boot I had to rebuild the database:frowning2:
I just read on some rock box forum that there seems to be issues especially with the Tarcan quad I flash, and rock box on iPods Classics
Very strange is that it worked until I put more songs on the iPod and tried to update the database.

There is a tool that can build the database using a computer: http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php...HPSESSID=f41ha8793qpp5uar1hgrultel4#msg147158 or compile the tool when following the compiling process described here: https://www.rockbox.org/wiki/LinuxSimpleGuideToCompiling

Yes, the five is much easier to open, but I can also open the classic in two or three minutes now, you just need the right tool for it .

Could you tell us please which guide you follow? Would be interesting how you open the Classics.

Jun 13, 2018 at 7:01 AM Post #9,497 of 10,664
I tried the Rockbox Simulator http://rasher.dk/rockbox/simulator/ which can even run on the Ipod itself.
But i think it is not really faster to build the library like this.
But if there is really a corruption issue when writing in Rockbox mode, this would enable us to build and write the Database in Apple mode.
My music copied to the 7.5 ipod last night, i do not have any database problems at the moment.
With 60000 songs the Database building on ipod 7.5 took about 5-10 minutesI
On the 5.5 it takes about 45 minutes.
Will put more music on the ipod later and then rebuild the Database, lets see...
To open the classic this video helped me

I use only one of the thin metal prying tools from Tarkans Iflash shop and 2 guitar plectrons.
I will try to do a video next time i will have to open it...

Jun 13, 2018 at 6:12 PM Post #9,498 of 10,664
So all music copied to the Ipod.
I did a Database initialize, and Rockbox got stuck during that.
I rebooted and Rockbox didn't start, only the Rockbox Start Logo was visible.
I booted in apple mode and deleted the Database files ( only 3 files were there).
After that Rockbox booted, and i was able to build the Database.
There seems to be some real issues with Rockbox, Tarkan Quad and iPod classic combination.
Sometimes Building of the Database doesn't work well and you have to delete the files from iPod before you can try again.
But now i got it and its working very fine.
File and Database access are instant.
If you change music often i would go with iPod 5.5, that worked flawlessly.
I put all my music on the iPod 7.5 , 65000 files, and no need to add music in the next few months...

Jun 24, 2018 at 12:07 PM Post #9,499 of 10,664
4B6073EC-5A44-4708-8625-03125806F1E4.jpeg
Hi,
just wanted to let you know that i was able to install 3000mah Battery from this link
https://www.ebay.com/itm/152581319646
into slim iPod classic 7.5 with Tarkan iflash quad.
No modifications were required...

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2018 at 5:45 AM Post #9,500 of 10,664
Hi
so i tested the same Tarkan Quad Adapter in Ipod Video 5.5 and Ipod Classic 7.5.
The battery runtime on Ipod 7.5 was much better, about double.
Database building is much faster and general behaviour is much snapier.
To me the 7.5 even does sound better, and it is definitely louder, so i would definitely recommend the 7.5.
Only issue: Rockbox Database can be problematic.
But i found out, that Rockbox settings: Library cache enabled:no and Database load to Ram: no solves all issues regarding database building and Database using.

Jul 17, 2018 at 3:14 PM Post #9,502 of 10,664
Well chuffed, installed 256gb sdxc into my old ipod 5th gen, plus a new battery. I forgot how much I love iPods. Sounds lovely. Now to try and find which amp pairs with it nicely.....

Jul 18, 2018 at 2:20 AM Post #9,503 of 10,664
Hmm the more I use it the more I think you don’t need other daps if you can get an iPod rockboxed. I might try and mod my broken iPod classic 6 next. I think the hard drive is broken as I can only copy on some music and then it crashes. It’s front and back are badly scratched, where can I get new casing?

Jul 18, 2018 at 7:28 AM Post #9,504 of 10,664
Hmm the more I use it the more I think you don’t need other daps if you can get an iPod rockboxed. I might try and mod my broken iPod classic 6 next. I think the hard drive is broken as I can only copy on some music and then it crashes. It’s front and back are badly scratched, where can I get new casing?

Hi I'm just putting together the final piece on my 7th Gen iPod Classic. You can order custom back plates on eBay. I went for Jet black back housing and a Black front with black click wheel.

-1900mah battery
-Brand new SwitchEasy Capsule Hard Shell Case 4 (black
-256gb micro SD (2x128gb)
- Tarkan quad adapter

I will be posting pics soon.

The link below for the casing/housings.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_...313&_nkw=ipod+classic++256gb+housing&_sacat=0

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2018 at 1:15 PM Post #9,505 of 10,664
Hi I'm just putting together the final piece on my 7th Gen iPod Classic. You can order custom back plates on eBay. I went for Jet black back housing and a Black front with black click wheel.

-1900mah battery
-Brand new SwitchEasy Capsule Hard Shell Case 4 (black
-256gb micro SD (2x128gb)
- Tarkan quad adapter

I will be posting pics soon.

The link below for the casing/housings.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_...313&_nkw=ipod+classic++256gb+housing&_sacat=0

Thanks. Is it difficult to change the housing, screen and click wheel?

Jul 18, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #9,507 of 10,664
The battery runtime on Ipod 7.5 was much better, about double.

Did you perform a battery bench with Rockbox? I'd love to know what runtime you get with your setup.

But i found out, that Rockbox settings: Library cache enabled:no and Database load to Ram: no solves all issues regarding database building and Database using.

Thanks for this hint.

Thanks. Is it difficult to change the housing, screen and click wheel?

The Classics are not easy to open, but if you change the housing, you don't need to take too much care at the disassembly process. To change the screen and the click wheel is just releasing the connector and put the new parts in place. I recommend the iFixit.com tutorials for this.

If I want to put a 7th gen into a 5th gen housing, what do I need to do? Is it sufficient to change the front plate, the back plate and the mid frame?

Jul 19, 2018 at 3:08 AM Post #9,509 of 10,664
I think I need to recopy my files over as some of them don't work. Could this be as I copied them over while the iPod was in rockbox op system?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back