Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Apr 2, 2018 at 12:33 PM Post #9,451 of 10,664
Curious if there has been further runtime tests beyond what has been posted on Tarkan's iflash site: https://www.iflash.xyz/runtime-shootout-2016-quad-dual-solo-msata-vs-original-hard-drive/

I ask because I'm looking to replace my mSATA mod. The battery life is fine with a big battery (about a week for my use), but you know how it is. It could be better!

I'm considering those half sized 1.8" Zif SSDs you can find on eBay or Aliexpress (example here) vs a Tarkan SDXC connector. The half sized ssds fit the iPod really well, leaving the entire top half available for a battery, whereas the iFlash adapter is layered a little awkwardly. I haven't been able to find much written on them, though.

Apr 5, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #9,452 of 10,664
Hi,

I think I have some dead pixels on my screen. It's weird though, because all of them are aligned so I have this straight horizontal line in the middle of the display.

Right now my iPod is dead though, so I can't take pictures. Do you think it could be something else? (So I can order all the replacement parts together)

Additional request: I'm looking for an affordable leather pouch for my iPod (5G slim). Something simple, preferably in black. Does anyone have any recommendations? I've searched everywhere and so far no luck.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2018 at 2:51 PM Post #9,453 of 10,664
Curious if there has been further runtime tests beyond what has been posted on Tarkan's iflash site: https://www.iflash.xyz/runtime-shootout-2016-quad-dual-solo-msata-vs-original-hard-drive/

I ask because I'm looking to replace my mSATA mod. The battery life is fine with a big battery (about a week for my use), but you know how it is. It could be better!

I'm considering those half sized 1.8" Zif SSDs you can find on eBay or Aliexpress (example here) vs a Tarkan SDXC connector. The half sized ssds fit the iPod really well, leaving the entire top half available for a battery, whereas the iFlash adapter is layered a little awkwardly. I haven't been able to find much written on them, though.

As I remember it, those were an alternative option back with Tarkan's original adaptor came out, I think, the advantage being that you didn't need an adaptor... but the drawback then was simply that you couldn't get one larger than (a meagre) 128gb. It might even have been 64gb max. Has that changed? (Nothing less than a terabyte will do for me!). There are batteries specially sized to fit with those, I think someone used to sell them all together as a kind of kit.

Apr 7, 2018 at 2:53 PM Post #9,454 of 10,664
Hi,

I think I have some dead pixels on my screen. It's weird though, because all of them are aligned so I have this straight horizontal line in the middle of the display.

Right now my iPod is dead though, so I can't take pictures. Do you think it could be something else? (So I can order all the replacement parts together)

I suppose it might be to do with the connection 'twixt the screen cable and the logic board. Have you tried removing and reinserting it? Could well be a screen fault though - I've seen a few screens with lines like that.

Apr 9, 2018 at 9:07 PM Post #9,457 of 10,664
I suppose it might be to do with the connection 'twixt the screen cable and the logic board. Have you tried removing and reinserting it? Could well be a screen fault though - I've seen a few screens with lines like that.

I mean, the iPod worked perfectly fine for some time and got that thing on the screen from one moment to another. Also, notice that at first the straight line was quite short, but after a few weeks it extended to cover almost half of the screen.

Apr 9, 2018 at 9:46 PM Post #9,458 of 10,664
Hey Head-Fi,

Managed to mooch a huge amount of info from this thread before registering so thanks already.

I have an iPod 5.5 gen 30gb I've been wanting to get going again. Got myself a new battery, the iflash sd card adapter and a new front cover.
Now this has been sat in a drawer for many years and i had forgot that the audio out didn't work from the 3.5mm jack, I had assumed it was because the original hdd had died as it wouldn't load songs correctly and would get stuck, put it away and forgot about it..

With the new gear installed I can get music out the 30pin, which I had hoped was a good sign.
I bought a new headphone jack/hold switch but still get no audio out the 3.5mm jack (hold switch works as expected so I think i'm installed correctly) If i shoot the volume all the way up and down I can hear a bit of a strange noise with headphones plugged in but nothing like the song that should be playing.

Original Firmware, mac formatted, 32gb Kingston microsd card in the iflash adapter.

Any ideas on what the issue could be and if its fixable?

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2018 at 2:47 AM Post #9,459 of 10,664
Hey Head-Fi,

Managed to mooch a huge amount of info from this thread before registering so thanks already.

I have an iPod 5.5 gen 30gb I've been wanting to get going again. Got myself a new battery, the iflash sd card adapter and a new front cover.
Now this has been sat in a drawer for many years and i had forgot that the audio out didn't work from the 3.5mm jack, I had assumed it was because the original hdd had died as it wouldn't load songs correctly and would get stuck, put it away and forgot about it..

With the new gear installed I can get music out the 30pin, which I had hoped was a good sign.
I bought a new headphone jack/hold switch but still get no audio out the 3.5mm jack (hold switch works as expected so I think i'm installed correctly) If i shoot the volume all the way up and down I can hear a bit of a strange noise with headphones plugged in but nothing like the song that should be playing.

Original Firmware, mac formatted, 32gb Kingston microsd card in the iflash adapter.

Hi. If your new jack/hold switch is in good condition and not getting proper sound it seems to me that the 30 pin output is your only choice.

I ve got one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PHE1AB-...uaazs-20&pf_rd_ptd=470938631&pf_rd_ied=507846 There were a lot of different models/brands of similar devices years ago. Not the case, nowadays.

It should have a volume control, remember it.
Regards

Apr 10, 2018 at 7:54 AM Post #9,460 of 10,664
Hey Head-Fi,

Unfortunately with the ipod video (but not the classic) I seem to remember there's a known issue that can appear as a faulty headphone jack but which is actually due to solder failure on one particular chip. I can't remember if that problem also affects the 30pin output, if it does then that would imply it's not the issue here and you either have a bad headphone-ribbon socket on the board,or your new headphone jack is also faulty.

But I can no longer remember where to find the many discussions about the issue that I read years ago (it was something to watch out for when buying faulty ipods). I think it's basically the same problem that used to affect some batches of video cards (and which was cured in that case by baking your video card in the oven for a short time to reflow the solder!).

This thread would seem to be essentially about the problem, they key point being if it goes away when you apply pressure to one area of the ipod it's this and not the headphone jack.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1095417

(I used to know more about this, but it's too long ago and I can't find the web sites where it was discussed in detail - whether this is relevant to your problem depends critically on whether that known fault always affected the 30 pin or not - that you have 30pin output is at least something)

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2018 at 2:23 PM Post #9,461 of 10,664
I mean, the iPod worked perfectly fine for some time and got that thing on the screen from one moment to another. Also, notice that at first the straight line was quite short, but after a few weeks it extended to cover almost half of the screen.
Could it be the battery swelling and therefore pushing against the back of the LCD? I have seen lots of 6th/7th gens with what appears to be a wet blob on the screen - a sure sign of a swelling battery putting pressure on the screen. Can't say I've seen that effect on 5th gens though but maybe it's time to check.

Apr 15, 2018 at 12:36 PM Post #9,464 of 10,664
Well I initially changed to a slim back and a 580mah battery. But had maybe two hours runtime, so just wanted to know what size battery I can get away with in a 5.5 without buying another back.

Looking around posts I might have had a bit of a dud battery.

Apr 15, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #9,465 of 10,664
I have an ipod classic 6G.

I got one of those green coloured zif to cf card adapters and every time I plug it into my PC, I get prompted to format the iPod. Once I format and then reboot the ipod, I get prompted again to format. This repeats on till the end of time

Is it because the zif-CF adapter is faulty or is my iPod faulty?

I do not wish to purchase the iflash-quad just to realise it won't work because my iPod is faulty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back