Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Apr 15, 2016 at 1:11 AM Post #7,636 of 10,664
  Hi all,

I scoured the forums and google to find a definitive answer, but can't seem to find one. Found some clues that I don't want to believe, bc I ordered the parts already :frowning2: but need to find a definitive answer.

Will the generic ZIF CF card adaptor + SDXC + 1900 mah battery fit into a 5.5g ipod 80gb? 

Link to generic ZIF card:
http://www.amazon.com/Card-1-8-inch-Adapter-IPOD/dp/B004FD1D2C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1460685701&sr=8-1&keywords=zif

I haven't read anything about the generic CF adapter, but did read Tarkan's sdxc adaptor + SSD adapter is thin enough to squeeze both in. 

cant fit, I have iPod with this adapter, works ok, but you will need to install thick back cover because this adapter must be instaled upside down and there is no space enough to install 1900 mah battery....

Apr 15, 2016 at 3:40 AM Post #7,637 of 10,664
I was reading about all the various iPod Classic mods and I have to ask what the point of the 'famous' diymod was for if you could simply bypass the Classic's amplifier by using the lineout connection in the first place?

Apr 15, 2016 at 7:08 AM Post #7,638 of 10,664
cant fit, I have iPod with this adapter, works ok, but you will need to install thick back cover because this adapter must be instaled upside down and there is no space enough to install 1900 mah battery....

When you say thick back, doesn't the iPod 80gb already come with a thick back? Can you link the thicker back you're talking about?

Apr 15, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #7,643 of 10,664
I was reading about all the various iPod Classic mods and I have to ask what the point of the 'famous' diymod was for if you could simply bypass the Classic's amplifier by using the lineout connection in the first place?

I believe it was for the 4th and 5th generation iPods only. I could never clarify or completely understand, but the idea was that it bypassed a bunch of "stuff". I've heard a professionally done imod (RWA) and compared it with the same amp against my DX90. Quite good in comparison, but the DX90 was the overall winner. The imod was really good though, and a few steps up from the stock ipod. More coherent and fast presentation than stock, but still warm and non fatiguing. Dx90 just felt like there was more instrument separation, less muddy, quick and clear. Even in the bass. However, last night I connected my imod 512gb to my portable amp and ha a great ride home. At the end of the day iPods are nothing to sneeze-still! It's just music!

Apr 16, 2016 at 8:44 AM Post #7,644 of 10,664
Hi All
Thanks for the wealth of info on this forum. Extremely helpful for anyone undertaking these mods.
I did read for roughly 20 pages, but, I couldn't find an answer to my problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have a IPod Video, 5.5, 80G. I have decided to upgrade the factory HD to a MSata setup as I can hear the original HD clicking more often than usual. I went and purchased a generic MSata to Zif adapter from ebay, JM20330, a MSata USB adapter to format the new HD to Fat32, and a Samsung 128gb MSata HD.

New HD has been formatted to Fat32, default cluster size selected, and then installed into the IPod via the Msata-ZIF adapter. I get the message requesting I connect the device to iTunes, I do so. After about 2 minutes iTunes advises the Ipod may be corrupt and it needs to be restored. I proceed. After restoring, the Ipod reboots. Instead of working, I get an error a few seconds after reboot in iTunes stating the Ipod is in recovery mode, and I am given the option to eject, or restore. It seems to be in a loop. I have restored multiple times, no luck. I tried disk mode etc, nothing. Windows see's the device, but, when I try to access it, Windows just goes into a thinking loop.

The HD is a MZMTE128HMGR. The only conclusion I can come to is, even though the Samsung Msata HD is 3.3v, it's 1.6 amps. The Ipod might not support the HD as its drawing more amps than it can supply? The factory HD is 3.3v, but 0.5 amps.

Sorry about the long message. Been at it for 20 hours now, and I'm out of ideas...

BTW, the Ipod works once I install the factory HD.

Thanks again

Andy

Apr 16, 2016 at 9:48 AM Post #7,645 of 10,664
Hi All
Thanks for the wealth of info on this forum. Extremely helpful for anyone undertaking these mods.
I did read for roughly 20 pages, but, I couldn't find an answer to my problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have a IPod Video, 5.5, 80G. I have decided to upgrade the factory HD to a MSata setup as I can hear the original HD clicking more often than usual. I went and purchased a generic MSata to Zif adapter from ebay, JM20330, a MSata USB adapter to format the new HD to Fat32, and a Samsung 128gb MSata HD.

New HD has been formatted to Fat32, default cluster size selected, and then installed into the IPod via the Msata-ZIF adapter. I get the message requesting I connect the device to iTunes, I do so. After about 2 minutes iTunes advises the Ipod may be corrupt and it needs to be restored. I proceed. After restoring, the Ipod reboots. Instead of working, I get an error a few seconds after reboot in iTunes stating the Ipod is in recovery mode, and I am given the option to eject, or restore. It seems to be in a loop. I have restored multiple times, no luck. I tried disk mode etc, nothing. Windows see's the device, but, when I try to access it, Windows just goes into a thinking loop.

The HD is a MZMTE128HMGR. The only conclusion I can come to is, even though the Samsung Msata HD is 3.3v, it's 1.6 amps. The Ipod might not support the HD as its drawing more amps than it can supply? The factory HD is 3.3v, but 0.5 amps.

Sorry about the long message. Been at it for 20 hours now, and I'm out of ideas...

Thanks again

Andy

yes, you are in restore loop now... You can not use msata to USB adapter to format ssd to FAT32... Try to put your ssd in msata to Sata adapter, put in PC, turn on PC, format ssd to FAT32, turn off PC and then you can disconnect ssd from msata to sata adapter...

Apr 16, 2016 at 9:49 AM Post #7,646 of 10,664
Hi All

Thanks again

Andy

Does the iPod recognises the drive in diagnostic mode? ( manual -> io -> Harddrive)

Apr 16, 2016 at 10:09 AM Post #7,647 of 10,664
Thanks for such a prompt response guys. For my own knowledge, connecting and formatting via sata, vs connecting and formatting via USB, why does it make a difference? Also, the fact that the HD is 1.6amps is still OK?

I went into disk mode and checked the HD, at first there was no info regarding the hard drive, was just blank. I was also unable to exit as it was frozen. So, I rebooted and tried again, and this time info came up. Disc is 128gb, but only seeing 96gb? Also, I was unable to exit again as it froze. Will formatting via Sata fix all these issues?

Info which came up :

Model Number:
HDSN
Total LBA:
Total Size:96GB
Temp: Current -1570251596c
79402c129213558c Max -18104

Thanks

Apr 16, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #7,648 of 10,664
  Thanks for such a prompt response guys. For my own knowledge, connecting and formatting via sata, vs connecting and formatting via USB, why does it make a difference?

"The shutdown process does not complete cleanly as the drive is not shutdown first before power is removed. I know some people have reported doing this with a USB3.0 or Thunderbolt connection, but I always suggest direct mSata to Sata connection." Tarkan Akdam

Apr 16, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #7,649 of 10,664
  Thanks for such a prompt response guys. For my own knowledge, connecting and formatting via sata, vs connecting and formatting via USB, why does it make a difference? Also, the fact that the HD is 1.6amps is still OK?

I went into disk mode and checked the HD, at first there was no info regarding the hard drive, was just blank. I was also unable to exit as it was frozen. So, I rebooted and tried again, and this time info came up. Disc is 128gb, but only seeing 96gb? Also, I was unable to exit again as it froze. Will formatting via Sata fix all these issues?

Info which came up :

Model Number:
HDSN
Total LBA:
Total Size:96GB
Temp: Current -1570251596c
79402c129213558c Max -18104

Thanks

Are you sure you connected the adapter the right way? You can also try to format the drive using the rockbox utility I think. I'm not sure how I managed to do it in the end but I am certain I did it without a master to data adapter. 

Apr 16, 2016 at 11:38 AM Post #7,650 of 10,664
JOBAH, you are an absolute legend. Thank you so much for your help. I thought about what you advise me of, the USB being removed without proper shut down. So, I connected the USB Msata adapter to a USB 3 port while my computer was off. Turned on my computer. After the computer was on I formatted the HD again. But this time, instead of removing it, I shut down the computer, and left it plugged in for an additional 30 seconds.

Reinstalled the HD in my Ipod, and connected to iTunes for restore. My Ipod is awake and everything is good. Its working once more. I did have a minor syncing error with iTunes just then, however, that I'm not too worried about as the ipod is on, I can once again scroll through the menu's and it can be seen in iTunes now.

Thanks you again mate, I really appreciate your help.

Andy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back