Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Apr 6, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #7,607 of 10,664
  Finished up another 5.5 gen.  Shaved down the 5.5 frame to fit the 6th gen space gray face plate, black wheel, space gray button, thick back powder coated satin black, 20000mah battery and Tarkan's dual SD adapter.  Running rockbox with my xhibition theme.  Really happy with this setup.

Doesnt the clickweel look strange if you do this? like it is to tick for the 6g cover.

Apr 6, 2016 at 1:22 PM Post #7,608 of 10,664
  Doesnt the clickweel look strange if you do this? like it is to tick for the 6g cover.

Something you are seeing in the photo or from experience?  I dont have a 6th or 7th gen to compare to, but I am looking at it now and it looks very flush to me.  Hard to capture, maybe the lighting is catching the rim around the clickwheel and making it look off?  I tried taking a photo at a lower angle.

Apr 6, 2016 at 10:57 PM Post #7,609 of 10,664
I've had that problem mixing and matching classic parts with my 5th gen logic board, so he may be referring to his own experience or that of other modders. Yours looks bloody great! I have just gone back to a thick back and a 2000Mah, mainly because I'd slowly ruined my black thin back from taking it apart too many times. I have a silver front and button with a black wheel. I like it due to it matching Apple's current colour scheme for their Macbooks, despite being a Thinkpad guy these days!

Apr 7, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #7,610 of 10,664
  Something you are seeing in the photo or from experience?  I dont have a 6th or 7th gen to compare to, but I am looking at it now and it looks very flush to me.  Hard to capture, maybe the lighting is catching the rim around the clickwheel and making it look off?  I tried taking a photo at a lower angle.

From experience, yours looks good tho.

Apr 7, 2016 at 6:46 PM Post #7,611 of 10,664

Beautiful! This has inspired me to do my own stealth-look iPod.
Was the clickwheel new? I've had terrible trouble finding new ones that actually work properly.

I have finally bought one of these backplates and certainly it looks really great.   Unfortunately I order a thick one and received a thin cover.   Luckily the seller was  responsive and inmediately shipped me  me the right one.  Recommendable!

Apr 8, 2016 at 7:45 PM Post #7,612 of 10,664
ok update from a couple of days ago. i found out that im getting a sad face is from my ssd i put in a stock ipod hdd and it worked and came on. so im not sure whats wrong with the ssd. is there a specific or ideal ssd i need? i my ssd says its 3.3V. Maybe its the msata ssd to zif adapter is the problem. i bought 2 of them and there both doing the same thing.

Apr 8, 2016 at 8:13 PM Post #7,613 of 10,664
  ok update from a couple of days ago. i found out that im getting a sad face is from my ssd i put in a stock ipod hdd and it worked and came on. so im not sure whats wrong with the ssd. is there a specific or ideal ssd i need? i my ssd says its 3.3V. Maybe its the msata ssd to zif adapter is the problem. i bought 2 of them and there both doing the same thing.

nevermind i got it working guys had the hdd cable on the wrong way on the zif adapter. thank goodness.. also is it normal for the ipod to get hot?

Apr 9, 2016 at 4:59 AM Post #7,615 of 10,664
nevermind i got it working guys had the hdd cable on the wrong way on the zif adapter. thank goodness.. also is it normal for the ipod to get hot?

It is normal but be careful because it can deteriorate your battery. It's best to copy your library in a steps. Another possibility is to open your iPod when you sync so the sad doesn't touch the battery.
Edit: btw I haven't been in this thread for a while but where are these black backs coming from? they look stunning!

Apr 9, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #7,616 of 10,664
It is normal but be careful because it can deteriorate your battery. It's best to copy your library in a steps. Another possibility is to open your iPod when you sync so the sad doesn't touch the battery.
Edit: btw I haven't been in this thread for a while but where are these black backs coming from? they look stunning!

Same place everything comes from!  Chinese sellers on ebay, mostly.

Apr 9, 2016 at 12:25 PM Post #7,617 of 10,664

Link -> http://www.head-fi.org/t/566780/official-ipod-video-classic-5g-5-5g-6g-6-5g-7g-ssd-mod-thread/7605#post_12486277

Apr 13, 2016 at 9:42 AM Post #7,618 of 10,664
I decided to try and paint the back of the iPod myself with a mat black paint (an alkyd based aerosol I picked up at the local store). I first filed it with a cubic nail file and cleaned it with some aceton before applying the paint. I am quite happy with the result but of course it means that I don't have the apple logo anymore. Does anybody know if it's possible to find a design file for  those? Then I might try to laser the logo and text back in. 

Apr 13, 2016 at 10:12 AM Post #7,619 of 10,664
   Does anybody know if it's possible to find a design file for  those? Then I might try to laser the logo and text back in. 

Looks good.  I tried painting a back, but it started chipping within a week or two.  I ended up stripping it and powder coating it.  Holding up great now.  I don't personally mind the logo not being there.

Wouldn't it make more sense to just buy a black back with the logo vs trying to engrave it now?  As far as the logo goes, download a vector version of the logo and resize it to the size you need?  Something like http://www.brandsoftheworld.com/logo/apple-ipad. "ipod" is on the site as well.  Might have to recreate the storage size part.  I haven't seen a full design already created anywhere.

Apr 13, 2016 at 10:20 AM Post #7,620 of 10,664

Looks good.  I tried painting a back, but it started chipping within a week or two.  I ended up stripping it and powder coating it.  Holding up great now.  I don't personally mind the logo not being there.

Wouldn't it make more sense to just buy a black back with the logo vs trying to engrave it now?  As far as the logo goes, download a vector version of the logo and resize it to the size you need?  Something like http://www.brandsoftheworld.com/logo/apple-ipad, just del the iPad part, obviously.

A couple of reasons: 
I was impatient and didn't want to wait for a few weeks.
I wanted a mat look, the ones they sell look shiny.
If it scratches after a while I can always sand it off and spray paint it again.
This method is cheaper. 

I also looked into powder coating the back but I didn't have the equipment needed for that and I wasn't willing to make the investment for such a small project.

Thanks for the logo. I would actually also like to have the small box with the size in it and engrave my initials instead. I did this with my other iPod but it was on a back that I ordered online and I had to pay a supplement for the custom engraving.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back