Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Apr 19, 2016 at 6:50 AM Post #7,666 of 10,664
Look at the previous page at post#7644 through 7650. It seems like the same problem.

I have seen the other post which is why i wanted to confirm that my drive is compatible with the ipod video. I am using a ZTC 3.3v zif ssd 64gb. There is not an adapter in my ipod like previous post 7644 which is why i am concerned. Does the ipod hdd need to be formatted externally from the ipod prior to loading it into the device with a firmware. I was under the assumption itunes did this on its own.

Thanks
Ken

Apr 19, 2016 at 7:37 AM Post #7,667 of 10,664
I saw one listing that said the battery they were selling was only compatible with the thin iPod Classic.

I'm guessing that's because the HDD on the thicker iPods was much bigger.

Does the 2000mAh battery fit well with Tarkan's dual adapter?

You need a thin drive with a thick back to have enough room for the battery. From what I have read the tarkan adapter should also fit.

Apr 19, 2016 at 7:40 AM Post #7,668 of 10,664
I have seen the other post which is why i wanted to confirm that my drive is compatible with the ipod video. I am using a ZTC 3.3v zif ssd 64gb. There is not an adapter in my ipod like previous post 7644 which is why i am concerned. Does the ipod hdd need to be formatted externally from the ipod prior to loading it into the device with a firmware. I was under the assumption itunes did this on its own.

Thanks
Ken

Ow sorry I didn't read your post correctly then. You can still try the shutdown your PC step since it's easy enough to try.

Apr 19, 2016 at 7:45 AM Post #7,669 of 10,664
Ow sorry I didn't read your post correctly then. You can still try the shutdown your PC step since it's easy enough to try.

Yeah im waiting for an external zif to usb so that i can format and eject it from there i believe that should give the same effect as the shutdown. The ipod can be formatted and written to while in disk mode however once unpluggedfrom the pc it boots back up as corrupt/empty

If anyone has any other suggestions please let me know. I believe the drive should work with my device and you can see the specs on amazon (link posted in my previous post). I will let you know if formatting it through the pc works when i get the adapter

Apr 19, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #7,670 of 10,664
OF?
Any tricks to format it as exfat maybe?

OF - original firmware. I used rockbox's dual boot on the 5.5 to put the ipod into apple's firmware before the transfer. I tried a couple of times to use Rockbox but always ended up with corrupted files.
I didn't format my cards. I believe the latest from Tarkan is that its unnecessary. Not sure why your transfer rates are so slow. Anyone have any ideas?

Apr 20, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #7,672 of 10,664

just to give an update. with OF and a windows virtual machine I got 4-5mb/s today.
thanks!

Apr 21, 2016 at 1:32 AM Post #7,675 of 10,664
What is the best way to mod a 7 Gen thin classic? SSD/SD/MicroSD/CF? I am trying to decide, the costs are not too far apart for similar capacities (I am trying to get to at least 500GB and maybe go to a 1TB later on). My greatest concerns in order are speed/sound quality, heat, power consumption. Thanks!

Apr 21, 2016 at 2:02 AM Post #7,676 of 10,664
What is the best way to mod a 7 Gen thin classic? SSD/SD/MicroSD/CF? I am trying to decide, the costs are not too far apart for similar capacities (I am trying to get to at least 500GB and maybe go to a 1TB later on). My greatest concerns in order are speed/sound quality, heat, power consumption. Thanks!

I think the dual sd adapter from tarkan is the best option for you. You can start with a 512GB card and try to add a second one later on. But note that I haven't read anyone who has done a 1TB iPod like that before so it might be unstable. People have done 1TB mods with ssd's before but then you have to be very careful when loading the iPod. As you can read here https://www.iflash.xyz/runtime-shootout-dual-sdxc-msata-sdxc-and-original-hard-drive/ the ssd is the more power hungry option. I also know from experience that they can get quite hot when transferring songs which is not optimal for the battery. This is assuming you have a 7th gen 160GB iPod, if you have a 120GB iPod you can still mod it but then you have to use Rockbox to load it completely since iTunes will only recognize 128GB.
I hope this helps.

Apr 21, 2016 at 11:17 AM Post #7,677 of 10,664
I think the dual sd adapter from tarkan is the best option for you. You can start with a 512GB card and try to add a second one later on. But note that I haven't read anyone who has done a 1TB iPod like that before so it might be unstable. People have done 1TB mods with ssd's before but then you have to be very careful when loading the iPod. As you can read here https://www.iflash.xyz/runtime-shootout-dual-sdxc-msata-sdxc-and-original-hard-drive/ the ssd is the more power hungry option. I also know from experience that they can get quite hot when transferring songs which is not optimal for the battery. This is assuming you have a 7th gen 160GB iPod, if you have a 120GB iPod you can still mod it but then you have to use Rockbox to load it completely since iTunes will only recognize 128GB.
I hope this helps.

Pretty sure several people have gone 1Tb via sdxc (I've only got as far as 768Gb).

Apr 21, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #7,679 of 10,664
So i have recieved the external hard drive enclosure for my zif drive to try and eliminate the ipod from the equation. The hard drive is still being hooked up to the computer through a usb connection however i dont see why this would matter. I try to initialize the drive format it and everything goes through correctly however when i unplug the drive all of the data i write to it, the format, and even the intialization of the disk is gone. Does this sound like a hard drive error or am i missing something?

Thanks

Apr 21, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #7,680 of 10,664
I'm having a problem with my 5.5 dual sdxc ipod. I'm in the process of loading it up. After transferring a batch of files, rockbox would no longer load. I get the error screen below. I can still dual boot into OF. Also, I can play the transferred files on my computer from the ipod. My first thought is to reinstall rockbox & see what happens. Any ideas on how to fix this?  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back