Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Oct 11, 2014 at 12:37 AM Post #3,721 of 10,664
Thanks to the valiant support of Tarkan, I now have a working 240gb Ipod Video 5.5.   The unit uses the best components of two ipods.  The storage is a PNY SD card and it uses Tarkan's latest CF/SD adapter.  

The strange thing is that is can run stock firmware 1.30 just fine, and can run the latest official version of Rockbox just fine.  It took a bit of rebooting of the PC and the ipod, and a restore, but in  both modes the unit can be accessed by Windows Explorer.  That is important to me, as my primary goal is go use this as a transport for FLAC files in Rockbox.

The only challenge is that I am unable to boot back to regular firmware 1.30 from Rockbox.   When switching to the hold button to swtich back, the unit shows the apple logo, then the display dims, then shows the apple logo again, etc.  It never quite boots back to 1.30.  If I switch the hold back off, it boots to Rockbox. 

I tried reinstalling the Apple firmware, and the unit works normally.   Then adding Rockbox back on again causes the issue.  Manually removing Rockbox and its bootloader allows booting back to 1.30.  So my best guess is that the bootloader for Rockbox is the culprit of these issues.  I tried the Beyondwind Rockbox which is reallly meant to fix some timeout problems with SSD cards, but that did not fix any issues.

Has anybody run in to anything like this, and do you have any suggestions?  As you know, Rockbox is clueless when it comes to playing videos, and can't handle any DRM laden files either.

Oct 11, 2014 at 4:02 AM Post #3,722 of 10,664
  Well, I think I am getting a pattern for the freeze. Following this morning's freeze, I charged the battery near full and then played the ipod for more than 4 hrs without freeze. Now I just got another freeze when the battery drained about half. Hmm ... interesting. I will switch the drive to another 5g tonight and see what happens. 

@DR650SE, no rush for the test and I don't want to spoil your weekend. :)  BTW, copying via USB will take a long time to fully load that bad boy. I did all thru motherboard now up to 912 GB.

Maybe the battery calibration on rockbox is out?  It's been a known issue for some of the previous iriver mods in the past I believe. Are you doing a straight run through of the library and then it freezes?  IF it freezes in the same spot then perhaps it's a problem with tags or a particular file causing the issue. 

Oct 11, 2014 at 5:15 AM Post #3,723 of 10,664

Maybe the battery calibration on rockbox is out?  It's been a known issue for some of the previous iriver mods in the past I believe. Are you doing a straight run through of the library and then it freezes?  IF it freezes in the same spot then perhaps it's a problem with tags or a particular file causing the issue. 

Not sure about battery calibration as I normally do nothing about the battery setting in RB. It basically freezes (stops playing but not shut down) while it is playing without me browsing any folders. It's not tag or particular file issue as it freezes randomly. Also sometimes it continues to play for a while after it freezes. I am getting a Tarkan adapter and see what happens. 

Now this 1TB drive has been loaded to 924GB (only 6GB left, less than 1%). It plays normally and the battery performs well when it doesn't freeze.

Oct 11, 2014 at 8:58 AM Post #3,724 of 10,664
@originalsnuffy how long are you waiting before you reset it. It normally took me a few min to boot when I had a 128gb SD card and may be longer now with the 1TB.

@Dminor I let my iMod play all night. When I woke up this morning it was at 15% battery, and still playing after 13 hours. Started at 80%. But it shut off like the battery was dead within a minute of me checking on it. Must have been the screen. But it hadn't froze.

However, when I went to reboot it it was corrupted and just showed the said face. But that was fixed with a simple reboot into diagnostic mode. I ran the check on the HDD, both the smart data and info. Then hit reset and it rebooted just fine. May take a few tries though but it worked for me without having to reformat or reload music :)

Oct 11, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #3,725 of 10,664
@originalsnuffy how long are you waiting before you reset it. It normally took me a few min to boot when I had a 128gb SD card and may be longer now with the 1TB.

The unit boots quickly into rockbox. Minus the rockbox boot loader it boots fast into 1.30. With the bootloader in place it does not boot into 1.30 after many minutes. Seems to hit an internal checkpoint then begins the failed boot over again, ad infinitum.

I did try the beta bootloader and had the same experience. I definitely would appreciate a pointer or two. I did try running rockbox as admin and the software does auto identify the unit. Check disk reports all is well. And the sd card was aligned and formatted with aomei.

Oct 11, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #3,726 of 10,664
@Dminor I let my iMod play all night. When I woke up this morning it was at 15% battery, and still playing after 13 hours. Started at 80%. But it shut off like the battery was dead within a minute of me checking on it. Must have been the screen. But it hadn't froze.

However, when I went to reboot it it was corrupted and just showed the said face. But that was fixed with a simple reboot into diagnostic mode. I ran the check on the HDD, both the smart data and info. Then hit reset and it rebooted just fine. May take a few tries though but it worked for me without having to reformat or reload music
smily_headphones1.gif

Good to know you were able to get around that sad face without reformat. This is important since you don't want to lose the files when you have the drive loaded with 900 GB's. 

That happened to me once (when I used a generic battery) but I simply sent it back to the MB. :)  But now I am using a Miliamp battery and it didn't show the sad face last time when it shut off due to low battery power. I was able to charge it back (thru USB) to reboot. 

On the freeze, I don't think it will happen with low loads. Also with my Miliamp, it seems playing perfectly normal for the first 4-5 hrs following a full charge. Need more testing on this issue.

Nevertheless, the TeraDIYmod is amazing loaded with 924 GB's of my favorite music. 

Oct 11, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #3,730 of 10,664
Would someone be so kind as to link me to a post/site that can get me started on this project? I want to add a fairly large SSD to my iPod Classic (newest version) and I fear the first post in this thread may be outdated!

Oct 11, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #3,731 of 10,664
To my ears, the WAV's sound more fuller and dynamic than the FLAC's with some CD's. Don't know why, it could be psychological.

UPDATE on the freeze issue......  Some good news. With a full charge for my Miliamp, this Teradiymod has played for more than 8 hrs without freezing. I don't know why it didn't freeze this time but this is very encouraging. I love this Miliamp battery. I also ordered a 2000mAh battery to play with it. Ideally, I would like to have the 2000mAh to go with a CF mod but that seems challenging to fit it. 

Oct 11, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #3,732 of 10,664
  To my ears, the WAV's sound more fuller and dynamic than the FLAC's with some CD's. Don't know why, it could be psychological.

UPDATE on the freeze issue......  Some good news. With a full charge for my Miliamp, this Teradiymod has played for more than 8 hrs without freezing. I don't know why it didn't freeze this time but this is very encouraging. I love this Miliamp battery. I also ordered a 2000mAh battery to play with it. Ideally, I would like to have the 2000mAh to go with a CF mod but that seems challenging to fit it. 

Ive noticed WAV freezes my 5.5. Im using a CF so that might be the issue. I prefer ALAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back