Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Oct 9, 2014 at 6:05 AM Post #3,706 of 10,664
For those who use the generic adapter for msata, here is another way to secure the adapter. First I cut the bottom piece from a ugly worn-out front cover. It's too long to fit inside the ipod so I used the solder iron to melt both ends short enough to fit but with some clamping force against the metal frame. It looks ugly from that melting but the rough ends are just what is needed for clamping. I hold the thing upside down and the drive sits there tight without falling even with a little bit shaking. 

Give it a try if you can afford an useless front cover. 
wink.gif

Oct 9, 2014 at 4:39 PM Post #3,707 of 10,664
Guys,

I just received my Tarkan adapter, a very professional job, and I'm waiting for my 2000ma batt.

Before I pull the plug on my Samsung 840 EVO 1TB card, is everyone using it at the moment satisfied?

Oct 10, 2014 at 2:03 AM Post #3,708 of 10,664
  Guys,

I just received my Tarkan adapter, a very professional job, and I'm waiting for my 2000ma batt.

Before I pull the plug on my Samsung 840 EVO 1TB card, is everyone using it at the moment satisfied?

Since I loaded the drive to 829GB's the ipod froze four times in two days. Not sure if this is due to this particular board (never froze with other cards before) or buffer issue. Nevertheless, I just pushed the load even further to 912GB's (total usable storage 930GB) and it's playing. I will continuously test this load for the next a few days and see what happens.

Satisfied? Yes even with the freeze. :)

Edit: Played the fully-loaded 1000GB ipod for more then 3 hrs without a single freeze.

Oct 10, 2014 at 8:12 AM Post #3,709 of 10,664
Man, I haven't used my Terapod in a couple of days. Lately I've been rocking my 4th Gen iPod clickwheel with Fiio E17 amp.

But am I satisfied with my 1TB Samsung Evo? Hell yea. As far as the freeze, when I was using my iPod with an SD card, once in a while it would freeze with video. But all in all I'm not worried about the freezing.

Oct 10, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #3,710 of 10,664
Man, I haven't used my Terapod in a couple of days. Lately I've been rocking my 4th Gen iPod clickwheel with Fiio E17 amp.

But am I satisfied with my 1TB Samsung Evo? Hell yea. As far as the freeze, when I was using my iPod with an SD card, once in a while it would freeze with video. But all in all I'm not worried about the freezing.

Thanks guys, card ordered.

Oct 10, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #3,711 of 10,664
I've decided to hang fire until next thursdays apple event.  Mind you I doubt they will be releasing a 1tb ssd based ipod classic successor, do you?!

Oct 10, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #3,712 of 10,664
You can forget about Apple releasing a 1TB ipod. Really who need 1TB (or even half of that) other than music nuts like us? Now since we can mod a 1TB classic, who would buy an over-priced 1TB ipod classic even if it is offered by Apple? What's the fun? :)

Oct 10, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #3,713 of 10,664
  I've decided to hang fire until next thursdays apple event.  Mind you I doubt they will be releasing a 1tb ssd based ipod classic successor, do you?!

I saw a report that said Ipods bring in 1.4% of revenue for Apple and the Ipod sales have been declining for the last five years.

I would venture to say most of the Ipod users other than the audiophiles here and other places don't know or care about high fidelity files and never needed large memory. Apple had an opportunity about two years ago to add a 240G HD but could see no great upsurge in sales.

The Ipod is dead, it's only a few like us keeping it alive.

Oct 10, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #3,714 of 10,664
Is there a issue with removing the headphone jack assembly permanently? I see no reason to keep the jack in place since it serves me no purpose other than being a dust opening and taking up room in the case.

Oct 10, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #3,715 of 10,664
  Is there a issue with removing the headphone jack assembly permanently? I see no reason to keep the jack in place since it serves me no purpose other than being a dust opening and taking up room in the case.

I disconnected the headphone jack cables from the boards for my diymod's. No issues if you don't need the switch for dual boots. 

Oct 10, 2014 at 4:49 PM Post #3,716 of 10,664

Guys,

Since I loaded the drive to 829GB's the ipod froze four times in two days. Not sure if this is due to this particular board (never froze with other cards before) or buffer issue. Nevertheless, I just pushed the load even further to 912GB's (total usable storage 930GB) and it's playing. I will continuously test this load for the next a few days and see what happens.

Satisfied? Yes even with the freeze. :)

Edit: Played the fully-loaded 1000GB ipod for more then 3 hrs without a single freeze.

Edited by DMinor - Today at 2:01 am View History

OK, the fully-loaded 1TB resumed freezing this morning. The reset after each freeze sucked the power out of the battery pretty quickly. I am not sure if the freeze is due to RB settings, or the board limit, or the issue with the generic adapter. 

I will test the drive on another 5g when I get home after work. Hopefully, the two Dr's can also test theirs after their 1TB's are fully loaded.

I started getting the freeze only after the drive was loaded with more than 800 gb's.

EDIT: After charging the battery almost full, now the ipod has played more than 3 hrs without freeze. Same as yesterday, it played more than 3 hrs without freeze following a battery charge. 

Oct 10, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #3,717 of 10,664
Oct 10, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #3,718 of 10,664
Congrats SirMarcolino - enjoy your new toy.

I've just been catching up on this thread after doing my first mod a few months back. I've loved having the 480GB iMod, which I use coupled to a FiiO E18 amp. The drive is almost full now; I've had the occasional glitch in operation but it's generally very stable. I used the generic adapter originally, but swapped for the Tarkan one as soon as it became available. That is a thing of beauty, and I'm convinced that the iPod is more responsive and has slightly better battery life with the better adapter.

Now that I'm running out of space again the idea of a Terrapod is very tempting. I have managed to secure another 5.5g iPod, and another Tarkan adapter, and have a 2000mAh battery ordered. I haven't quite decided what to do with them yet, but I think the answer is pretty obvious 
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 10, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #3,719 of 10,664
@DMinor, I'd have to copy my library 4 times more Lol. Well don't have near a terabyte of music. However my terapod has been sitting on the counter playing for the last 4+ hours and hasn't froze. Granted it's just playing and I'm not browsing or anything. I'm just watching TV, went out for dinner, ect so it's untouched.

It started at about 80% battery, and after 4hr 20min, it's at 60% battery. I'm going to let it play through the night and see how that works out. And see if when the battery dies, if it corrupts.

I will be going out of town this weekend so won't get to test much on it or play with it sadly. But I'll be taking my 128GB 3rd generation Ipod classic. :p

I can't wait to just have a few hours of solitary Terapod (Teramod?) time with a glass of whiskey and a cigar!

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk

Oct 10, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #3,720 of 10,664
Well, I think I am getting a pattern for the freeze. Following this morning's freeze, I charged the battery near full and then played the ipod for more than 4 hrs without freeze. Now I just got another freeze when the battery drained about half. Hmm ... interesting. I will switch the drive to another 5g tonight and see what happens. 

@DR650SE, no rush for the test and I don't want to spoil your weekend. :)  BTW, copying via USB will take a long time to fully load that bad boy. I did all thru motherboard now up to 912 GB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back