Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Oct 12, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #3,751 of 10,664
Hi, im new here, sorry if it was questioned before.
I cracked my ipod 5 30gb logic board, is it okay if i replace with gen 5.5 80gb logic board? If that is possible any other part should be replace too? for notice i consider to still use the slim housing of 30gb with same battery.
Is there any issue with the sandisk ultra sdxc 128gb 30mbps Thanks :)

Oct 12, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #3,753 of 10,664

Thats all you need other than the memory card.

Your regional post did not mention the word bundle, you said "Tarkan SDXC adapter" which is only half of what you get in the bundle, the other half being the actual ZIF - CF adapter board that connects to the iPod's HDD ribbon cable.

You are good to go. If you are in the U.S. I highly recommend the PNY 256GB SDXC card, it can be found for as as little $99, although my experience with it is limited to Apple's firmware. I don't know/have any experience with how it behaves using Rockbox if thats your intention.

Good luck!

I plan on using stock Apple FW.  I was looking at the PNY but I am hearing there are issues with the 7G and that card.  But if I am not mistaken the 160GB Thin is actually considered 7.5G.  So I may have to go with the Lexar.

Oct 12, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #3,755 of 10,664
  2 days ago I built my first msata-ipod 5.5g with a crucial 480gb, 2000mah from Alex, Rockbox and beyondwind-patch. With the help of the usb&firewire-cable-wallplug I filled it up with 200gb at once, without any problem. I am sooooooo happy!!!

one concern:
I drained the battery on purpouse as fast as possible. And yeah, at the end the iPod didn't corrupt at all. Just Perfect!!
But then I fully charged it and now I let it play endlessly flac-files without backlight on. But it seems that the 100 hours (as stated from Alex) won't be realistic :frowning2:
Did someone else experience the same?

Is it possible that the crucial 480gb drains a lot of energy, compared to the other ssds?

So as conclusion for further half-Terapod-iPods. Which ssd is the best to go for, in the aspect of energy-using, easy-to-use and so on?

Crucial 480gb
Samsung 500gb
Samsung 512gb

Looking so forward for your feedback while I am listening to music from my 480gb-5.5-iPod and thinking about the diymod, lol. Ah yeah, were do I get the "best" silver cable for the diymod???

Congratulation on your successful mod.

As tested,
with 2000mAh battery, regular mp3
crucial 480gb ipod 5.5g: 36hrs
crucial 480gb ipod 7g 95hrs

the best I achieved with stock batteries.
Sanyo blue cell: 9hrs.
Thick (ipod 80gb) battery: 15hrs.

expecting 20% less battery life with ipod 5g. and a little less battery life with flac files.

The 100hrs number is for ipod 7g, regular hdd.

I can assure you that crucial 480gb is the best msata SSD you can get in terms of stability.

Oct 12, 2014 at 11:13 PM Post #3,756 of 10,664
Rockboxing the 5.5g with the PNY 240gb SD card can be tricky.  Tarkan provided a helpful link that solved my dual booting problem.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2qymekbxscea51i/Reinstalling%20Rockbox%20Bootloader%20to%20Restore%20Dual%20Boot%20Functionality%20on%20iPod%20Video%205.5G%20with%20iFlash%20CF-SD%20%26%20PNY%20256%20GB%20UHS-I%20SDXC%20Card.pdf?dl=0

One other silly piece of advice. With Windows 7 it was helpful to go into the disk portion of computer management and assign a drive letter to the unit when in Rockbox mode.   The unit became "findable" after that.  I did not need to do that with Windows 8 on my notebook.

The units boots scary fast compared with the stock 80gb physical platter hard drive now.  Oh yeah, it also holds 3 times a much music.

I do highly recommend using the Tarkan solution.  His firmware is up to the task, and once you are a customer my experience is that his support is wonderful. 

Oct 12, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #3,757 of 10,664
  Rockboxing the 5.5g with the PNY 240gb SD card can be tricky.  Tarkan provided a helpful link that solved my dual booting problem.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2qymekbxscea51i/Reinstalling%20Rockbox%20Bootloader%20to%20Restore%20Dual%20Boot%20Functionality%20on%20iPod%20Video%205.5G%20with%20iFlash%20CF-SD%20%26%20PNY%20256%20GB%20UHS-I%20SDXC%20Card.pdf?dl=0

One other silly piece of advice. With Windows 7 it was helpful to go into the disk portion of computer management and assign a drive letter to the unit when in Rockbox mode.   The unit became "findable" after that.  I did not need to do that with Windows 8 on my notebook.

The units boots scary fast compared with the stock 80gb physical platter hard drive now.  Oh yeah, it also holds 3 times a much music.

I do highly recommend using the Tarkan solution.  His firmware is up to the task, and once you are a customer my experience is that his support is wonderful. 

Good to know everything finally worked for you. I was about to commenting on your previous thread for blaming rockbox to be the culprit of the problem.
So you should take back your word and indeed own an apology to the Rockbox, The problem is caused by the SD adapter, and iPodpatcher is part of the rockbox installer that fixed your problem.

Oct 13, 2014 at 5:44 AM Post #3,758 of 10,664

Sorry that was a typo, that's what happens when you post when you are sleepy. :)

All the iPod Classic are compatible with the PNY 256gb SDXC if your adapter has the CM01E6Q1.bin firmware.

I will correct my previous post.

Let me clarify:

I have tested all them of with a 480gb Crucial mSATA card, the Tarkan iFlash-msata adapter (IPod Classic) or the eBay cheap green adapter (30gb, 60gb, 80 iPod Video)

LBA48 enabled iPods:

Classic Slim 80gb
Classic Slim 120gb
Classic Fat 160gb

iPods that natively can recognize cards bigger that 127.7gb are:

Video 30gb 
Video 60gb
Enhanced Video 30gb
Enhanced Video 80gb

I hope it is less confusing now.

How can I get the newest firmware for the adapter?  I've emailed Tarkan but he doesn't respond; when I try to post comments on his website, they aren't approved.

Oct 13, 2014 at 8:46 AM Post #3,759 of 10,664
How do i go about changing the hdd to SSD? Do i need to format the ssd(mSata) outside of ipod, and just copy over the .rockbox etc folder form the hdd. and then swap it in. Or can i swap it in un formatted. and then somehow restore, and re rockbox the device?

Oct 13, 2014 at 8:54 AM Post #3,760 of 10,664
Beyondwind:

First and foremost I continue to thank the Rockbox team (which I think includes you) for creating a wonderful community service.  This software/firmware allows the music community a degree of fidelity and musicality that was never envisioned by the original hardware manufacturers.  I for one would have dumped my old videopod 80 gb 5.5 gen if not for Rockbox.  Well, more likely I would have sold it not dumped it.  Rockbox is very likely a key reason why those units still hold their value on ebay and the like.  Rockbox also put new life into my Sansa Clip 4gb.

Second, I did not intend to criticize the Rockbox team.  I was expressing frustration that I could not achieve a dual boot scenario.  It was certainly not obvious to me whether the issue was related to the Tarkan adaptor and its firmware or the Rockbox installer or bootloader.  So if my comments were taken as criticism that was not the goal and for that I would certainly apologize.

Third, it would seem to me that it would be a good idea if your mSATA workaround and the firmware patch that I just referred to were included in the next integrated build for the ipods.  My guess is that that majority of new users of Rockbox are modifying their machines with either mSATA or SD cards as the hard drives are probably in the process of sending out distress signals.  That was true for both of my units.

Fourth, perhaps the more technical readers of this forum might want to let Tarkan know what might be an issue with the CF/SD card adapter firmware.  He knows I was having a problem, but may not be aware that a firmware fix of some sort might be in order.

Fifth, to respond to another question, I have seen no posts to indicate that the firmware for any of the various adapters on the marketplace are user upgradable.   If that is true, then I would have to assume that the only option is to work out some kind of exchange with the original vendor.

Oct 13, 2014 at 9:30 AM Post #3,761 of 10,664
Fourth, perhaps the more technical readers of this forum might want to let Tarkan know what might be an issue with the CF/SD card adapter firmware.  He knows I was having a problem, but may not be aware that a firmware fix of some sort might be in order.

He's been working on the firmware; beta firmware was testing and working in July (though that may predate your purchase, assuming you have v6).  He recently released v7 of the adapter though - from his site:
UPDATE 6th October 2014 – v7 SD-CF Adapter
Improvements to the adapter firmware, especially with newer 256Gb SDXC cards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back