Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Apr 5, 2014 at 4:42 PM Post #2,671 of 10,664
  Hi guys, I have a 30gb ipod 5.5 running RB on the OEM drive. Love everything about it but would like a little more storage. I ordered the Tarkan CF adapter and am now shopping a card. I'm really just looking for a 64gb card; the >64gb cards are going for a little more than I was looking to spend at the moment. I've read through this thread forwards and backwards and some of the info concerning CF compatibility conflict with the list on Tarkan's site. I've seen the Komputorbay cards recommended here but on Tarkan's site he notes potential problems with the gen 5 and 5.5 ipods. I see the Dolgix 133x 64gb card on Amazon for about $50. List on Tarkan doesn't note any issues with it; has anyone here used it and how did it work out? Any others you can recommend? Any 128gb cards for under $100 known to work with the 5.5 gen and the mk2 Tarkan adapter?

FWIW I listen to it with TF10s with Fiio replacement cables and am very happy with the sound as-is. Thanks everyone!

Yeah the CF compatibility list on Tarkan's site is not 100% accurate. The Komputorbay 128GB 600x works just fine with the Tarkan adapter. The Dolgix 133x 64gb or 128GB card also works fine. Those two brands are probably the least expensive ones you could get.

This 128GB CF card should work as well, but personally I have not tried it yet. Remember seeing a pic from a head-fi'er of CF mod with this card and the Tarkan.

Apr 5, 2014 at 6:05 PM Post #2,672 of 10,664
BTW, the thin LI-poly batteries, up to 900mAH failed in my tests. Cmarti, were your batteries Li-poly or straight up Li-ion? This might also be a clue to you success.

My battery is Li-Poly, it is a year old and it was sourced from a new 7th gen iPod classic. This battery has survived the 160gb hard drive, the Crucial M400 256gb card and the current Crucial M500 480gb card.

I took this picture of the battery last time I opened the iPod.

Edit: The battery reads Li-ion Polymer. (Now I am confused)

Apr 5, 2014 at 7:05 PM Post #2,675 of 10,664
  Around 8 hrs just listening to full albums without playing with the iPod other than to change albums when the one playing is over.

That's not too bad, but if you frequently browse folders and manually switch albums the number of hrs could be cut by half my guess.

Also if the ipod is turned off/on a few times, it will suck quite some juice out of the battery.

I have a bad habit browsing the folders and viewing the cue files. The main reason is to be familiar myself with what albums and where albums are, given such a massive amount of digital contents on one ipod. It's quite a task (but rewarding experience). LOL.

Apr 5, 2014 at 7:14 PM Post #2,677 of 10,664
  That also might be called ADHD. Just kidding! lol

May well be true 
wink_face.gif

Apr 5, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #2,678 of 10,664
My battery is Li-Poly, it is a year old and it was sourced from a new 7th gen iPod classic. This battery has survived the 160gb hard drive, the Crucial M400 256gb card and the current Crucial M500 480gb card.

I took this picture of the battery last time I opened the iPod.

Edit: The battery reads Li-ion Polymer. (Now I am confused)

Me, too. With about 30g loaded, i decided to test the play time on the Terapod. I initialized the database, reset the ipod, and it shut down during the database update. Now it's SadPod. Replaced battery, still no love. Reformatted mSata, still Sad. I don't know what the h3ll happened. No excess heat and a fully charged battery. So close.

Apr 5, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #2,679 of 10,664
That sucks Dr.

One thing is I wouldn't attempt to initialize database for my 480GB drive when fully loaded (only 2 GB's left free). That would freeze the ipod at the minimum. I try to keep it simple by using folders only nothing else.

How about your 480GB Crucial? Is that one working?

Apr 5, 2014 at 11:07 PM Post #2,680 of 10,664
Yeah, initializing the database is a bad idea. My 240gb iPod would freeze when I tried that after x amount of songs.

Can you charge the battery in another iPod? Is the connector for the battery cable loose at the logic board? They tend to get loose after a while when you keep plugging and unplugging to replace the battery.

Apr 6, 2014 at 9:24 AM Post #2,681 of 10,664
That sucks Dr.

One thing is I wouldn't attempt to initialize database for my 480GB drive when fully loaded (only 2 GB's left free). That would freeze the ipod at the minimum. I try to keep it simple by using folders only nothing else.

How about your 480GB Crucial? Is that one working?

Yeah, initializing the database is a bad idea. My 240gb iPod would freeze when I tried that after x amount of songs.

Can you charge the battery in another iPod? Is the connector for the battery cable loose at the logic board? They tend to get loose after a while when you keep plugging and unplugging to replace the battery.

I have about 52k songs on the BP4 mSata and the database initializes without issue. The 480g was also working fine until the battery drained last night. It only has about 10 g on it, because i found that loading in small blocks of less than 1000 songs "appeared" to conserve the battery by reducing the peaks in current drawn during the loading.

I have established that there is nothing mechanically wrong with the 1T. All the parts check, except the battery. New batteries still report sad ipod, however, charging them is the issue at the moment. I am using an old 30g to charge the batteries before placing into the mSatas.

I've ordered a 2500mAH li-poly from the net. I am still waiting for my other battery orders to arrive. RadioShack had nothing, but the kids behind the counter were not at all aware of their inventory.

Never give up, never surrender.

Apr 6, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #2,683 of 10,664
That's the attitude!

Can you post the link for the batter you ordered?

https://www.adafruit.com/products/328

I just finished a voltage test of my batteries. The 900mAH thin Li-poly's report 3.4 to 3.8V. The 1300 mAH report 3.6 to 3.7V. I have some old ipod batteries ranging 650mAH to 850mAH, and several report at 4+V! I took the one reporting the highest voltage (a 650mAH) stuck it in the 480g mSata and Bingo - it's back to running again. I am reformating the 1T again because made a bonehead mistake last night when i pulled it off the computer without ejecting first so it was locked and would not reformat.

I do more battery testing when my parts arrive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back