Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Jan 23, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #2,042 of 10,664

Welcome to Headfi (sorry about your wallet!).  As I understand it :-

CF - stability, works with rockbox (something you said your not interested in).

SD - According to DMinor sounds sdxc cards sound worse than cf cards, draws more power due to the adaptor required to make it fit the ipod.

Msata.  The two big draw backs are non rockbox compatible (see above) and heat issues leading to instability.  Shame as the price has just dropped on these in the uk.

Hey, thanks for th reply. What's the nature of the heat issue on msata? I've read other places, people seem to be using them without issue... is it just a spacing issue/making sure to keep the foam spacers so it isn't moving around, or is it actually a voltage issue. mSata drives I see seem to be the right voltage though.It's also nearly the same price for 2x capacity mSata vs CF.

Jan 23, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #2,043 of 10,664
  Hey, thanks for th reply. What's the nature of the heat issue on msata? I've read other places, people seem to be using them without issue... is it just a spacing issue/making sure to keep the foam spacers so it isn't moving around, or is it actually a voltage issue. mSata drives I see seem to be the right voltage though.It's also nearly the same price for 2x capacity mSata vs CF.

TBH I've no idea about the heat.  I'm assuming it's something to do with the adapter necessary for the msata drive to work.  Perhaps Dminor would like to add what his experiences were with it?

Jan 23, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #2,044 of 10,664

TBH I've no idea about the heat.  I'm assuming it's something to do with the adapter necessary for the msata drive to work.  Perhaps Dminor would like to add what his experiences were with it?

I don't know what caused the heat but it was hot (very warm). I suspect there is a power consumption issue, even tho the mSATA is rated 3.3v.

I didn't try more once my attempted rockboxing failed using Trone's patch. Shortly after that I returned the drive.

Jan 23, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #2,047 of 10,664
Heck, I might wanna take the plunge and get this Lexar 256GB for 1,500 RMB ($250 or a dollar per GB) after Chinese New Year since they're also claiming to be another authorized dealer

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=19070224289

This one really looks good if it works with the Tarkan and Rockbox. The speed is NO concern as it is limited by the ipod's board.
But it looks suspicious tho, as one pic shows 256GB and the other one shows 128GB. The price looks more like for a 128GB.

But my eyes are now on the possibility of a 512GB CF iPod, if I can get it for a dollar per GB.

Jan 23, 2014 at 11:42 PM Post #2,049 of 10,664
I see no reason why Wellcore can't pull off a 512GB CF, if Lexar can. Remember "if Yan can cook so can you". LOL.

Just in case the 512GB CF is a no go, I am satisfied with the 256GB CF iPod rockboxed and will likely convert a few more.

Jan 24, 2014 at 1:08 AM Post #2,050 of 10,664
I waited around 6 months to make a 256GB mod, but at this point I am waiting for a 512GB CF on my 5.5G video. That 1TB Samsung drive is useless for the iPod anyway... I really doubt you can actually fill it before your iPod stops reading the files.

And to think that right now I have a 2GB latest iPod Shuffle (btw, kinda weak and unbalanced SQ) waiting to make a ....leap to 512gb LOL.

Jan 24, 2014 at 2:36 AM Post #2,051 of 10,664
I waited around 6 months to make a 256GB mod, but at this point I am waiting for a 512GB CF on my 5.5G video. That 1TB Samsung drive is useless for the iPod anyway... I really doubt you can actually fill it before your iPod stops reading the files.

And to think that right now I have a 2GB latest iPod Shuffle (btw, kinda weak and unbalanced SQ) waiting to make a ....leap to 512gb LOL.

The 256GB CF rockboxed is a done deal and works like a charm, while the 512GB CF is just a possibility at this point. So don't put up too much hope on the 512 yet.

Jan 24, 2014 at 3:16 AM Post #2,052 of 10,664
Maybe with some luck Lexar will get the prices around 1$/GB but I doubt ..
Anyway I already invested in my iPod quite a bit and I want to do the upgrade "once and for all". That is why I am waiting.
I have new headphone jack, new battery, new front cover, new back cover with 240GB laser-print as a nice touch :).

Worst case scenario I will just get a 128GB CF to help me bear for 2014. I am pretty sure by the end of 2014 more manufacturers will sell 512s or at least we could a decent price discount OR that double-CF mod you guys posted several pages back.

Jan 24, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #2,054 of 10,664
I am not a card expert or anything but I think you guys posted before that CF cards, while being an older technology, are still being used by the camera guys.
And if a brand like Lexar actually released a 512GB one, they are influential and dictate trends.
And like i just said, I don't think anything bigger is really useful in an iPod due to software limiations/RAM memory.

So it all comes down to price basically.

All I know is that in my case 512GB will really suffice. Sure, I could use a 1TB but I will never get full past 650GB let's say.

At this point, I really think we shoudl be very grateful we have this expensasion options in the first place.
The high-storage mp3-players breed has been dying ever since 2009.
Everything is going cloud nowadays..

Jan 24, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #2,055 of 10,664
One thing I wonder is if there is a really need/demand for bigger CF cards.

What you guys think? We iPod modders are just a small minority of the CF card buyers.

The need/demand for big storage, in my opinion, is not a question as CF's are primarily targeting the pro cameras (not the consumer level using the micros) and other industrial applications (medical, defense, etc). It all comes down to price/performance ratio. Of course, Lexar and Sandisk set the high price tag for the big boys (who have deep pockets) not ipod modders. I would probably never spend $500 on a 256GB CF let alone $1000.

I am just glad Wellcore can take care of the minority consumers like us and make our dreams come true without breaking the bank.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back