Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Jan 21, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #2,026 of 10,664
From the "Apple diyMod" thread:

I don't know how the RWA or the ebay seller implements the mod. According to this thread, there are 2 ways of modding. One is soldering to the board only, and the other is direct-out mod by wiring from the dac to the lod output pins directly. Are these mods equal in SQ? I don't know, but I like the direct-out mod and all my mods are done this way.

Have you ever tried going direct from the DAC to the iPod's headphone out, then use right-angled mini-plug cables to the amp? Having the CF card inside should leave enough room for this (I think). Might as well have the outside mods as compact as the inside. :)

Jan 21, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #2,027 of 10,664
Have you ever tried going direct from the DAC to the iPod's headphone out, then use right-angled mini-plug cables to the amp?

No I don't know how to do that to get a clean LO bypassing the internal amp. Let me know if you have any info for me to read.

The goal is to get a cleanest/shortest audio path by bypassing all the junks on the board immediately after the dac. The direct out mod does just that.

The audio quality, from my diy experience, will be greatly improved if you can achieve the least electrical resistance along the audio path from dac all the way to the amp output. The improvement could be shocking and send you to heaven. :)

Jan 22, 2014 at 1:09 AM Post #2,028 of 10,664

The goal is to get a cleanest/shortest audio path by bypassing all the junks on the board immediately after the dac. The direct out mod does just that.

I only ask because I don't like all the extra wire and 30-pin connector hanging out. I thought a right-angled plug would look cleaner. 

You're taking the audio straight from the DAC, bypassing the further electronics, right? Couldn't you, theoretically, continue both those audio lines out the iPod, then solder them to an external amp? Kinda like a permanent umbilical? This mod will have the use tied to an amp for best sound anyway; might as well commit fully.That would be nice :)

Jan 22, 2014 at 2:19 AM Post #2,029 of 10,664
  I only ask because I don't like all the extra wire and 30-pin connector hanging out. I thought a right-angled plug would look cleaner. 

You're taking the audio straight from the DAC, bypassing the further electronics, right? Couldn't you, theoretically, continue both those audio lines out the iPod, then solder them to an external amp? Kinda like a permanent umbilical? This mod will have the use tied to an amp for best sound anyway; might as well commit fully.That would be nice :)

Good idea. while the lod doesn't bother me, I think I can try to put a female plug in ipod and connect this plug directly to the dac with wires. I will still lift those 2 pins off board at the dock to stop any audio signals sent over there. thanks for the suggestions.

Jan 22, 2014 at 4:32 AM Post #2,030 of 10,664
The reason I suggest this- and reason why LOD bothers me- is I use my iPod at work. it is in my front pocket and all I have in my way is the right-angled mini-plug of my Sennheiser HD 25s. I'd be willing to add an amp/DAC to the mix, but I need it to be discreet as possible.

Jan 22, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #2,032 of 10,664
Hi, new here. I've tried to read through this thread, but there's a lot so can someone please some up for me concisely what the benefits are for CF vs SD vs mSSD on a 5/5.5G ipod classic? It would seem to me that mSSD would be the most reliable and longest lifespan. If I'm not planning on rockboxing, is there any benefit to using the flash cards?

Jan 22, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #2,033 of 10,664
  Hi, new here. I've tried to read through this thread, but there's a lot so can someone please some up for me concisely what the benefits are for CF vs SD vs mSSD on a 5/5.5G ipod classic? It would seem to me that mSSD would be the most reliable and longest lifespan. If I'm not planning on rockboxing, is there any benefit to using the flash cards?

Welcome to Headfi (sorry about your wallet!).  As I understand it :-

CF - stability, works with rockbox (something you said your not interested in).

SD - According to DMinor sounds sdxc cards sound worse than cf cards, draws more power due to the adaptor required to make it fit the ipod.

Msata.  The two big draw backs are non rockbox compatible (see above) and heat issues leading to instability.  Shame as the price has just dropped on these in the uk.

Jan 22, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #2,034 of 10,664
Found this : 3-PACK - 128GB Professional Compact Flash Card CF 600X 90MB/s Extreme Speed UDMA 6 RAW 128 GB
so 3x128 GB CF cards for only 270 usd...Who wants to order and then split in 3 as I don't have the money to buy them all.THanks

You may want to be careful, if you are buying from a non-reputable seller such as those on eBay. There are fake flash memory cards everywhere online. Some fake cards even contain software that can trick your computer into showing non-existing space and files. Sometimes sellers don't even recognize fake memory cards. Other times fake sellers use tricks to delay or avoid PayPal refund (e.g., delay to over 45 days after purchase or claim that return has not arrived). Just google it. There are free softwares for checking (indentifying fake) memory cards.

I have been sold a fake SD card here on Headfi (and seller denied it), though I did get my money back by pushing PayPal and using my own knowledge.

Jan 22, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #2,035 of 10,664
I bought quite a few flash cards totaling 928 GB's in the last 12 months all from Amazon except the 256GB CF from Wellcore. They are all good.

Just make sure you buy from Amazon or trusted sellers who give you the option to return for refund, then you should be fine.

Jan 23, 2014 at 1:55 AM Post #2,039 of 10,664
Personally I have written off the micro cards for my collections. The CF card price fluctuates as the flash price fluctuates, just like the HDD price does. Currently, a 240GB Toshiba MK2431GAH HDD is sold for $185, the lowest off eBay. I recall at one point it could be bought for about 100 bucks. With $185 for the HDD, my 256GB CF seems to be a bargain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back