Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Jan 17, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #1,996 of 10,664
The shame of the tarkan with a CF card is that so much empty space is left inside that begs to be filled by a bigger battery. Wish someone would make one to be sold with the tarkan.

Jan 17, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #2,001 of 10,664
Thanks, MParrot, and ALL YOU GUYS for the info on getting my iPod maxed-out. I never knew this stuff was available.

Jan 18, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #2,004 of 10,664
Thanks, MParrot, and ALL YOU GUYS for the info on getting my iPod maxed-out. I never knew this stuff was available.

Two yrs ago, I was still playing 192 kbps on my stock ipod video 30GB HDD with Apple's OF and battery lasted only 3 or 4 hrs. Today I have a rockboxed 256GB CF iPod DMod and the battery can easily last 15 hrs.

The big difference is my music interest has been greatly expanded like sound stage. :)

Jan 18, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #2,005 of 10,664
Yes the battery replacement will take care of that, have you read this thread?

Thanks for the feedback.. I'm just that not the technician guy and scared to open my iPod. But maybe then will try to do for the good..

OT: does anyone here from hong Kong who can tell me where can I buy parts to mod my iPod?? I really need give him new life.. :smile_cat:

Jan 19, 2014 at 1:03 AM Post #2,006 of 10,664
The big difference is my music interest has been greatly expanded like sound stage. :)

I've noticed that with better quality (recordings AND equipment), I'm willing to listen to stuff I wouldn't have before.

Jan 19, 2014 at 2:25 AM Post #2,007 of 10,664
I've noticed that with better quality (recordings AND equipment), I'm willing to listen to stuff I wouldn't have before.

Exactly, that's the beauty of digital audio and you can load 128GB or 256GB of music in one ipod and get the best out of those GB's to enjoy.

At the end of the day, for me it's all about music enjoyment and additionally having some fun from DIY.

Jan 19, 2014 at 3:50 AM Post #2,008 of 10,664
Just want to share my experience with a bad battery.

This is my latest mod on a broken ipod video bought from ebay. After I put in a CF card and did a bypass mod everything seemed working just fine except it randomly stopped playing, froze, shut off. At first I thought something wrong with the board, but then I also noticed the battery (which came with the ipod) drained quickly than normal. After I replaced the battery with another one, voila and all problems are gone!

Jan 19, 2014 at 4:28 AM Post #2,010 of 10,664
Can someone help me please?
The best sounding iPod to date is the 5.5 gen right?
According to popular theory it is. Real world tests showed that it was down more to taste than anything.  Ie if you prefer a warmer sound then to go with the 5th, a crisper sound go with the 7th.
Can it be rockboxed and how will I recognise it in shop when I look at it is 5.5?
That's easy as it's no longer available to buy in the likes of argos, pcworld etc.  It was discontinued back in about 2006/7 if I remember right.  To get one you'll have to delve into the murky waters of the second hand market.  Typically in the uk we'll pay more than they seem to over in the states.  The 5th came in capacity's of 30 gig and 80 gig.  The 6th gen had a change of user interface so if you have a look around you should be able to find them.  If you do a search on amazon or ebay for something like "Ipod video 30 gig"  you should get the right ones.  Typically prices on amazon and ebay start around £50-70 for buy it now's.  Broken ones with battery or hard drive issues (I'm kicking myself for missing out on one that was mint but no hard drive for £20!) will be cheaper but you then run the risk of not being able to get it working if the issue isn't one identified.  Yes it can be rockboxed.
Many thanks. Musicday
Your welcome. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back