Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Jan 13, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #1,967 of 10,664

Battery life is not very good due to the SDXC to CF adaptor but that will improve if using a CF card.Still got the biggest battery for mini 1500 mha, now need a bigger card and the caps mod,link anyone?

Could you put a figure on what sort of hours you get out of the sdxc combo please?

Jan 13, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #1,968 of 10,664
  cmarti,
Were your issues with the full-sized SSD track skipping power related? I plan to use this setup in a car, so power won't be an issue. I have the latest (7th?) iPod Classic.

BTW I'm new to this; what's a CF and SDXC? Rockbox with caps?

CF= Compact Flash Card.  Pretty much obsolete type of card.  More commonly found in Cameras.  Ipod minis have the same connection which means you can just swop out the 4gig microdrive and swop in a cf card instead.  Fun fact.  Back in the day when the mini was first introduced people were buying the mini to strip it of it's 4 gig microdrive to use in cameras of the time as it was a cheaper way of getting the drive!

SDXC - SD type of card.  Until now much higher storage available for less.  To use in ipods you'll need an adapter which affects battery life.  See http://www.tarkan.info/20121226/tutorials/ipod-and-sdhc-sdxc-cards for more.

Caps= Capacitors.  Alters the type of sound with the different caps available.

Rockbox - Free alternate firmware to flash different types of mp3 players, ipods included.  Don't like using itunes (let's face it who does?)?, want to turn the ipod into a flac player?  Look no further.  http://www.rockbox.org/

Cheers

Jan 13, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #1,969 of 10,664
Originally Posted by davidcotton /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Fun fact.  Back in the day when the mini was first introduced people were buying the mini to strip it of it's 4 gig microdrive to use in cameras of the time as it was a cheaper way of getting the drive!

I didn't know that. LOL.

Jan 13, 2014 at 6:38 PM Post #1,971 of 10,664
Are you guys generally finding FLAC better sounding than Apple Lossless?

Jan 13, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #1,974 of 10,664
cmarti,
Were your issues with the full-sized SSD track skipping power related? I plan to use this setup in a car, so power won't be an issue. I have the latest (7th?) iPod Classic.

BTW I'm new to this; what's a CF and SDXC? Rockbox with caps?
I am not sure because there was power on the iPod, it will just skip songs or stutter on the first two seconds of songs. Got tired of listening to music that way.

Jan 15, 2014 at 5:12 AM Post #1,977 of 10,664
Just let you guys know, Wellcore is planning to make 512GB CF cards after the Chinese New Year. I have no time table at this point, but I will be the first one to try it on ipod should they be successful producing it. I see no reason why they can't, they have excellent engineers from Taiwan with expertise in this field.

A 512GB CF DMod sounds awesome.

P.S. I am running out of space (again) for my music.

Jan 15, 2014 at 8:08 AM Post #1,978 of 10,664
Whilst that's potentially good news (everybody!) I have a couple of concerns about it.

a)Price. The 256 is £300 or so right now (off the top of my head) I wonder what the 512 would be.

b) Would the Ipod be able to read all of that without issues? I have my doubts.

Cheers

Jan 15, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #1,979 of 10,664
Whilst that's potentially good news (everybody!) I have a couple of concerns about it.

a)Price. The 256 is £300 or so right now (off the top of my head) I wonder what the 512 would be.

b) Would the Ipod be able to read all of that without issues? I have my doubts.

Cheers

No idea about what the price would be, but it will be much lower than the coming Lexar 512GB. :)

I have doubts too about whether this 512GB will work on ipod, but trying is the only way to prove it. With that said, I have reasonable hope for the 512GB based my experience with the 256GB CF. It may take a little bit longer to change albums or tracks but that will be understandable. Remember I restored this 256GB CF and ran it on an ipod 5g/30GB model without any issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back