Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II
Nov 17, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #1,081 of 4,655
  I'll oblige to a certain extent. Privacy is important.

EDIT: I also just bought her an old iPod Classic that had been refurbished with flash-based memory and brand-new faceplates on the front and back.

I do appreicate your concern for privacy :3,

Now you guys are making me want to take an unsuspecting picture of my SO wearing my HE-500's. She likes them a lot. 

DO IT, and feel free to put a smiley face over where the boiring black circle is! 

Nov 18, 2013 at 1:00 AM Post #1,085 of 4,655
You know, the thing with their reactions, sometimes they hurt cause you know they are better headphones and they definitely sound better than anything you've ever heard until today, but your non-audiophile friends/family listen to your headphones on a PC through regular headphone jack with no amp practically and onboard audio that's a few good years back.

But then you realize all this, and you don't care anymore cause what matters is what it sounds like to you.

The best is to impress yourself, not others, if that is done, then it's good.

Non audiophiles just don't get it, anyhow.

Nov 18, 2013 at 1:58 AM Post #1,086 of 4,655
There's another factor to be considered. Whether we realize it or not, due to the countless hours we spend listening, we've trained ourselves to appreciate the nuances of good sound. Much like wine connoisseurs who develop their palettes to be able to appreciate fine wine. I know jack about wine, so I could never appreciate an expensive bottle. People that don't KNOW good sound will rarely be able to appreciate, let alone understand, the sound quality or the expense.

Nov 18, 2013 at 3:15 AM Post #1,087 of 4,655
Usually when I show people my set up audeze lcd 2+woo wa2+dragonfly(soon to upgrade to concero).  They say there is no bass but its very clear. 

Some times when they find a song they have listened to a million times in my flac library they light up like a Christmas tree on the details revealed.  And if I ever want to impress anyone I put on Dr. Chesky's binaural album right and left channel ID test (freaks everyone out that it is possible).

Nov 18, 2013 at 3:34 AM Post #1,088 of 4,655
No point in trying to impress someone with a pair of headphones or anything the general public possess. Things like good computers, cars, watches, headphones, flashlights just do not immediately make any sort of impressions since almost everyone has one of those and the difference between the high end enthusiast versions and the entry level offerings are often ignored. If you want a hobby that impresses perhaps it's time to try something else instead, like flying. Audio is something that grows on you instead.

Nov 18, 2013 at 3:55 AM Post #1,089 of 4,655
There's another factor to be considered. Whether we realize it or not, due to the countless hours we spend listening, we've trained ourselves to appreciate the nuances of good sound. Much like wine connoisseurs who develop their palettes to be able to appreciate fine wine. I know jack about wine, so I could never appreciate an expensive bottle. People that don't KNOW good sound will rarely be able to appreciate, let alone understand, the sound quality or the expense.

and then you switch back to your regular TV's built in speaker.... ouch....

Nov 18, 2013 at 5:49 AM Post #1,091 of 4,655
It seems to me that many audiophiles are people that indeed can appreciate the finer things in life, like good wine for example.

It's quite funny, I actually like the built in speakers in my tv for what they are. Not offensive, mid-centric while being pretty good with speach, at least to the point where it is quite understandable. But it is a LCD tv, which means more space for the speakers. Most LED tv speakers sound like crap from my experience.

Nov 18, 2013 at 7:11 AM Post #1,092 of 4,655
Well.. The difference between "LED" and "LCD" Televisions is the backlighting, I'm not sure how that affects speakers, but hey, I've been out of the TV game for a while now, what would I know?

(I'm one of those "PLASMA OR NOTHING" fanboys anyway)

What I love about head-fi is the ability to discuss headphones, in all conceivable aspects. We don't use a simple vote system, we discuss the different attributes that make up each headphone. 

Wine tasters will do exactly this - my Dad has done it for years. I view my headphone hobby as being similar to his wine hobby - all very subjective, with plenty of discussion and enjoyment to be had.

beerchug.gif

Nov 18, 2013 at 8:16 AM Post #1,093 of 4,655
  Usually when I show people my set up audeze lcd 2+woo wa2+dragonfly(soon to upgrade to concero).  They say there is no bass but its very clear. 

Some times when they find a song they have listened to a million times in my flac library they light up like a Christmas tree on the details revealed.  And if I ever want to impress anyone I put on Dr. Chesky's binaural album right and left channel ID test (freaks everyone out that it is possible).

Good point 

Nov 18, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #1,095 of 4,655

Worrying! I love my bass, have always wanted the LCD 2, and comments like this make me think maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree..

If you're into bass like Beats where you can hear the thump but not the bass instrument sound, these headphones are not for you, maybe the Fostex TH-900 would be better for you, though I haven't listened to them.

But if you're into natural, real bass with perfect decay and still can feel the bass, they will fit you nicely :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back