Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II
Nov 20, 2013 at 12:38 AM Post #1,111 of 4,655
  Most of my current coworkers don't even believe me once I tell them how much I've spent on my Stax setup.

Also, try explaining how electrostatic headphones work to someone with zero knowledge of electrical science whatsoever. It's a trip.

I have come across some who USED to say "NO! That's just because you can't afford it" and then comes the interesting part... they tried one of my headphones and then now they feel sorry for what they had said to me before :D

Nov 20, 2013 at 8:47 AM Post #1,112 of 4,655
  Most of my current coworkers don't even believe me once I tell them how much I've spent on my Stax setup.

Also, try explaining how electrostatic headphones work to someone with zero knowledge of electrical science whatsoever. It's a trip.

This painting by Cy Twombly, which is a copy of a child's doodlings, sold for 2.3 million dollars.

size]

A Picasso painting that sold for 95.2 million of dollars - http://shim4him.wordpress.com/2011/01/30/95-2-million-worth-of-ugly/

picasso.jpg

A Rothko painting that sold for 87 million dollars

size]

http://www.israelshamir.net/shamirReaders/english/Darkmoon--The-Plot-Against-Art.php

If you can, show these examples of degenerate art to your co-workers and ask them what is easier to believe, that a copy of doodlings done by a bored schoolchild sold for 2.8 million dollars and that a very ugly and degenerate art "portrait of a woman" sold for 95.2 million dollars and that an artistic fraud of a smearing on a canvass of 25 dollars worth of paint sold for 87 million dollars, or that you paid a few thousands of dollars for quality headphones and for an amplifier and cables ? Ask them what is easier to believe.

If, for your co-workers, the ability to have an erection depended upon their willingness to learn and upon the  ability of their brains to retain and recall the standard high school lessons of physics then they would have understood very quickly how the electrostatic headphones work.

Nov 20, 2013 at 8:57 AM Post #1,113 of 4,655

This painting by Cy Twombly, which is a copy of a child's doodlings, sold for 2.3 million dollars.

size]

A Picasso painting that sold for 95.2 million of dollars - http://shim4him.wordpress.com/2011/01/30/95-2-million-worth-of-ugly/

picasso.jpg

size]

http://www.israelshamir.net/shamirReaders/english/Darkmoon--The-Plot-Against-Art.php

If you can, show these examples of degenerate art to your co-workers and ask them what is easier to believe, that a copy of doodlings done by a bored schoolchild sold for 2.8 million dollars and that a very ugly and degenerate art "portrait of a woman" sold for 95.2 million dollars and that an artistic fraud of a smearing on a canvass of 25 dollars worth of paint sold for 87 million dollars, or that you paid a few thousands of dollars for quality headphones and for an amplifier and cables ? Ask them what is easier to believe.

If, for your co-workers, the ability to have an erection depended upon their willingness to learn and upon the  ability of their brains to retain and recall the standard high school lessons of physics then they would have understood very quickly how the electrostatic headphones work.

Now here's a way to justify Summit-Fi rig purhcases.

Nov 20, 2013 at 10:05 AM Post #1,115 of 4,655
I don't understand or appreciate so-called "modern art", nor would I pay 10 cents for most of it. But the specific term "degenerate art" has bad historical connotations, that I wouldn't use.

Tus-Chan, don't feel bad, my wife is shocked that I want to upgrade from Sennheiser HD 558s to HD600 which I can get for the "shocking" sum of $301 USD! I 'd love to hear even an entry level Stax setup!

Nov 20, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #1,116 of 4,655
,my wife is shocked that I want to upgrade from Sennheiser HD 558s to HD600 which I can get for the "shocking" sum of $301 USD! I 'd love to hear even an entry level Stax setup!

I feel you, my wife could not understand why I would pay 400 bucks for the HD800...........they were a bit over 400 but she does not need to know that.
devil_face.gif

Nov 20, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #1,118 of 4,655
I don't understand or appreciate so-called "modern art", nor would I pay 10 cents for most of it. But the specific term "degenerate art" has bad historical connotations, that I wouldn't use.

Tus-Chan, don't feel bad, my wife is shocked that I want to upgrade from Sennheiser HD 558s to HD600 which I can get for the "shocking" sum of $301 USD! I 'd love to hear even an entry level Stax setup!

I'm in shock.

It was one of my design history lecturer's favourite paintings. (dark brown box on a coffee stained canvas)

In her lessons we were told that such paintings were designed to be unable to understand. Only after explanation things would fall into place and the hidden meaning and emotions would emerge. I spend the whole year doing abstract painting assignments so I can kind of understand the way it works. Some works are relatable which adds value, but some (like that one above) are just What. But... In my own taste... isn't good art supposed to be able to explain itself? 

On another note, people are calling my HD202 'expensive' and are going nuts when I tell them that they are my cheapest cans next to the MS1i and HD558.

I would kill to get a HD800 for $400. 

Nov 20, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #1,120 of 4,655
In my own taste... isn't good art supposed to be able to explain itself?

In my opinion, art is just another form of communication, much like video, music, and literature. I personally don't think art is good unless it can make you feel or think or understand something.

Nov 21, 2013 at 2:13 AM Post #1,121 of 4,655

size]

picasso.jpg

size]

I personally love the Picasso painting. But yeah, the others. Ugh.

Nov 21, 2013 at 7:53 AM Post #1,122 of 4,655
Let a buddy o mine try the UE 6000 today...

Eye's widened and he said "It's so clear and the sound is so deep!" 

Yea... might let him try my Modded D2ks in a month when I get them... hopefully he won't die of a  heart attack 

Nov 21, 2013 at 8:01 AM Post #1,123 of 4,655
Let a buddy o mine try the UE 6000 today...

Eye's widened and he said "It's so clear and the sound is so deep!" 

Yea... might let him try my Modded D2ks in a month when I get them... hopefully he won't die of a  heart attack 

WELL... I curtain ly shouldn't have let my friend listen to the Annie before my Grado... I should have do it vice versa... He now find my Grado to sound too thin and bright (cough cough Mshenay cough)

Nov 21, 2013 at 9:50 AM Post #1,124 of 4,655
WELL... I curtain ly shouldn't have let my friend listen to the Annie before my Grado... I should have do it vice versa... He now find my Grado to sound too thin and bright (cough cough Mshenay cough)

Why u b coghing at me for q.q I didn't do nothing to u! 

Nov 21, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #1,125 of 4,655
My mom today asked me if i liked listening to music, or if i just liked listening to how good it sounds.

If this isnt an oxymoron i dont know what is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back