Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II
Nov 18, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #1,096 of 4,655

Worrying! I love my bass, have always wanted the LCD 2, and comments like this make me think maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree..

Well it all depends on where you're coming from.  The LCD2 is no D5000 in the bass department (I noticed you have one).  D5000 have a lot more slam.

Nov 18, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #1,097 of 4,655
  If you're into bass like Beats where you can hear the thump but not the bass instrument sound, these headphones are not for you

I'm not a fan of the "Beats" sound signatures, of any of their models that I have listened to - nor am I a fan of their build quality. I understand a lot of people are big fans of these products, I personally find the signature very fatiguing - but everyone is different. 

Quote:

Well it all depends on where you're coming from.  The LCD2 is no D5000 in the bass department (I noticed you have one).  D5000 have a lot more slam.

Thank-you. My D5000 have had Lawton treatment, so they aren't going to have as much slam as they once did. Even so, I wouldn't expect them to compare fairly to the D5000 in the bass quantity department regardless..

My main concern is, that whilst I do prefer a somewhat "heavier" sound, I'm not a total bass-head. If "non-audiophiles" are claiming that the LCD 2 are very bass-light, I might have to demo them extensively before I pull the trigger.

I really appreciate your comments and help. 

How do you find the bass in the LCD-2, compared to the HD 800?

Nov 18, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #1,102 of 4,655
  Are you seriously asking if the HD 800s have as much bass as LCD-2s?  No they don't have the same amount, read some reviews on both of them and find out for your self.  *Takes away head-fi card*

EDIT: How can you have 830 post and be asking that?

That was a little (unnecessarily) harsh.

I've heard the HD 800, but not the LCD-2, and I was wondering how they compare, in terms of bass-quantity. 

Nov 18, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #1,103 of 4,655

That was a little (unnecessarily) harsh.

I've heard the HD 800, but not the LCD-2, and I was wondering how they compare, in terms of bass-quantity. 

Sorry, lol.  The HD800s and LCD-2s are opposites (kind of) HD 800s are brighter headphones the LCD-2s are darker.  Both have good controlled bass and sub bass (as most headphones at this level do) but LCD-2 have much more bass presence.  

Nov 19, 2013 at 3:06 AM Post #1,104 of 4,655
You meet new people every time you change jobs, and every job has different people. At my current job, there's probably only two staff members who I'd peg as caring about sound quality.

Anyway, Yesterday I went to send my K518's to Forza Audio Works for recabling and people kept asking why you would pay for a recable. Most people seem surprised that you wouldn't just throw a pair of headphones in the bin when the cable has a short, but more people seem surprised if you even tell them the price of a K701 or the price for a recable.
It's just kind of sad that we live in such a throwaway culture.

Nov 19, 2013 at 3:58 AM Post #1,105 of 4,655
I own the LCD2 and TH900 for comparison - heard the HD800 for hours before.

The TH900 bass is powerful, impactful that you can feel but not muddy at all and is well defined. I can hear all the subtleties of the sub bass note changes and rumble down to the limit of my hearing and feel bass I cannot hear. The headphone is every part as clear and detailed as a LCD2 with a bigger soundstage + more extended treble. The mids a slightly back/receeded but smooth and clear at the same time - a rarer feat. In comparison the LCD2 bass is very defined but is not as powerful as the TH900, however its midrange to bass balance is better and the mids are to die for. Unbelievably natural and euphonious.

The HD800 has less bass then the LCD2 - which is not bass light btw and has a very robust bass that runs even down to near 20hz low as anyone could hear. The HD800 is thinner in the bass but has great quality. The HD800 is a bright headphone obviously, and the LCD2 is a darker headphone with rolled off treble in comparison. The HD800 has a much much larger soundstage and is far more detailed/critical or recordings. The LCD2 is much more forgiving. The LCD has a thicker/more organic mid range.

On the topic of non audiophile reactions. I was talking to a visiting friend at my office about the AKG 812 and what we thought it may turn out like, after I got off the phone one of the employees here asked what I was on about. When I told him about my headphone hobby and collection he gave me the "you collect headphones and audio equipment, what on earth for"? "I don't think I could spend more than $50 dollars on headphones, I think mine sound pretty amazing personally". I told him that I'll bring my Fostex in with me for him to have a spin, and see what he thinks.

Nov 19, 2013 at 4:26 AM Post #1,106 of 4,655

The TH900 bass is powerful, impactful that you can feel but not muddy at all and is well defined. I can hear all the subtleties of the sub bass note changes and rumble down to the limit of my hearing and feel bass I cannot hear. The headphone is every part as clear and detailed as a LCD2 with a bigger soundstage + more extended treble. The mids a slightly back/receeded but smooth and clear at the same time - a rarer feat. In comparison the LCD2 bass is very defined but is not as powerful as the TH900, however its midrange to bass balance is better and the mids are to die for. Unbelievably natural and euphonious.

The HD800 has less bass then the LCD2 - which is not bass light btw and has a very robust bass that runs even down to near 20hz low as anyone could hear. The HD800 is thinner in the bass but has great quality. The HD800 is a bright headphone obviously, and the LCD2 is a darker headphone with rolled off treble in comparison. The HD800 has a much much larger soundstage and is far more detailed/critical or recordings. The LCD2 is much more forgiving. The LCD has a thicker/more organic mid range.

A++ response. Thank you!

Nov 19, 2013 at 8:39 AM Post #1,107 of 4,655

On the topic of non audiophile reactions. I was talking to a visiting friend at my office about the AKG 812 and what we thought it may turn out like, after I got off the phone one of the employees here asked what I was on about. When I told him about my headphone hobby and collection he gave me the "you collect headphones and audio equipment, what on earth for"? "I don't think I could spend more than $50 dollars on headphones, I think mine sound pretty amazing personally". I told him that I'll bring my Fostex in with me for him to have a spin, and see what he thinks.

Agree'd A++

makes me really want a TH 900... most likely I'll have one at some point! Going to go the Modded Wood back Denon Route first :3 then save up for a TH 900! 

But very nice to hear the TH 900 has that slight V shape I do enjoy with mah EDM and classical actually 

Nov 19, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #1,108 of 4,655
I think im goin for a th900 at some point too... But not for a looonnnngg while.

Showed my signature dj's to the people at work, every single person i showed not only loved them but said that they were worth every penny, except for one guy who said that if you pay more than 100$ for headphones you are wasting your money, although he agreed that they are pretty dang awesome.

Nov 19, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #1,109 of 4,655
Alpha Dog's nice too, and cheaper :p

About non-audiophile reactions... I given my girlfriend tough task: compare sound between two dacs (same headphones, same amp), and you know she recon that one sounds warmer and other sounds more aggressive. Nice for non-audiophile isn't it? :D

Nov 20, 2013 at 12:31 AM Post #1,110 of 4,655
Most of my current coworkers don't even believe me once I tell them how much I've spent on my Stax setup.

Also, try explaining how electrostatic headphones work to someone with zero knowledge of electrical science whatsoever. It's a trip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back