Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II
May 2, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #2,896 of 4,655
Well, not really. The K550, K6XX, and K7XX have a very slightly similar signature, but the lower end headphones sound nothing like the higher end, especially the bassy ones and the K240, which used to sound amazing but they've kept trying to consumerize the sound so it's less amazing now.

May 2, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #2,897 of 4,655
Well, not really. The K550, K6XX, and K7XX have a very slightly similar signature, but the lower end headphones sound nothing like the higher end, especially the bassy ones and the K240, which used to sound amazing but they've kept trying to consumerize the sound so it's less amazing now.
well, they still sound amazing... And by amazing, I mean for 70-80$. Don't know about the old ones, but the passive transducers sound cool. I bought the new one cause its able to be driven on the go. I have a home system from the 80's that is rated for 20 watts into 8 ohms, so I'm guessing good enough to drive anything except maybe planars etc. Now, the question is: what headphone from akg is next on my list, and what headphone from any other company should I get?... Oh, and there is this guy who has presonus HD 7's (never heard of it until then.) he said they were 300$. He said they were awesome. So, I go look it up on amazon later, and they were 60$. (they look exactly like the k240's too.) I said, ok. So he's trying to impress people by saying they are expensive. I talked to him today, said those aren't 300$. He denied it and said he bought them for that price, then proceeded to call my k240's jank pieces of crap. -_-.... So, after that, I told him either you got ripped off, or are trying to impress people by saying they are expensive. He then said, I know all about headphones! I bought really expensive ones! *facepalm.* I just stopped arguing with him. They are nice, no doubt, but not nicer than my k240's amped, and he might have paid a ridiculous price for them. 300$... And then I told him my headphones cost more than his on amazon, which he then said "its amazon. You can get anything cheap on there!" ok then. Well, just go on there, and compare prices to WalMart etc. Its the exact same price, or pretty close.

May 2, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #2,898 of 4,655

well, they still sound amazing... And by amazing, I mean for 70-80$. Don't know about the old ones, but the passive transducers sound cool. I bought the new one cause its able to be driven on the go. I have a home system from the 80's that is rated for 20 watts into 8 ohms, so I'm guessing good enough to drive anything except maybe planars etc. Now, the question is: what headphone from akg is next on my list, and what headphone from any other company should I get?... Oh, and there is this guy who has presonus HD 7's (never heard of it until then.) he said they were 300$. He said they were awesome. So, I go look it up on amazon later, and they were 60$. (they look exactly like the k240's too.) I said, ok. So he's trying to impress people by saying they are expensive. I talked to him today, said those aren't 300$. He denied it and said he bought them for that price, then proceeded to call my k240's jank pieces of crap. -_-.... So, after that, I told him either you got ripped off, or are trying to impress people by saying they are expensive. He then said, I know all about headphones! I bought really expensive ones! *facepalm.* I just stopped arguing with him. They are nice, no doubt, but not nicer than my k240's amped, and he might have paid a ridiculous price for them. 300$... And then I told him my headphones cost more than his on amazon, which he then said "its amazon. You can get anything cheap on there!" ok then. Well, just go on there, and compare prices to WalMart etc. Its the exact same price, or pretty close.

Sounds like he's desperately trying to justify his earlier claim of them being $300
wink.gif

May 2, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #2,899 of 4,655

Wow, that's just downright obnoxious. He says he knows all about headphones, so does he have a Head-Fi account? Anyone who thinks they know all about headphones should at least have a Head-Fi account; it kinda makes you legit because, well, you're on Head-Fi. XD

That, and maybe I could pay him a visit (to his account page, of course).

May 2, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #2,900 of 4,655
Wow, that's just downright obnoxious. He says he knows all about headphones, so does he have a Head-Fi account? Anyone who thinks they know all about headphones should at least have a Head-Fi account; it kinda makes you legit because, well, you're on Head-Fi. XD

probably not, because he bought headphones for 300$ that aren't as good as 70$ k240's. Would you do that? I wouldn't. Anyone on head-fi wouldn't.

May 2, 2014 at 2:50 PM Post #2,901 of 4,655
probably not, because he bought headphones for 300$ that aren't as good as 70$ k240's. Would you do that? I wouldn't. Anyone on head-fi wouldn't.

According to the Mikros 90 occult group, that frequently happens! (replace K240 with Mikros 90)

May 2, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #2,902 of 4,655
  Damn, how bad was his sound setup to never have heard that clicking at the start?

^this.

How does one get their hands on audio gear that bad? Even apple earbuds do a decent job on detail.

It's not about whether one can hear microscopic detail or not, but it is about how easy it is to hear them. With high-end cans microscopic details are so easy to be heard they doesn't seem to be so microscopic anymore..

Yeah, this must be what it was. I'm sure he'd heard the gist of the sound, but when he heard the dynamics and everything else going on in the song at the same time it probably brought it to a new level.

May 2, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #2,903 of 4,655
I have a science fair project on how different audiophile formats effect file size and sound quality. I'm bringing my Audio-Techncia Ath-M35 along for the ride. They are really flat so for the sake of my peeps I'm bringing a FiiO e6 for the bass equalizer. I'll be running it off a laptop. NOT THAT ANYONE WOULD NOTICE THE OBVIOUS DROP IN SOUND QUALITY. OBVIOUSLY EVERYONE WOULD DETECT THE CRAPPY AUDIO OF 128kbps MP3.

May 2, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #2,904 of 4,655

Ask him about DACs and AMPs...
He'll never see it coming!

May 2, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #2,905 of 4,655

That reminds me of my cousin who does NOT have a headfi account. I posted the below picture on facebook and my cousin who's from Seattle commented "No Audeze?LOL". I said I really didn't like the darkness of them and asked if he was into headphones also and what he has. He said so far: HD800, Stax SR507, now SR009 and WES. He's now shopping for an Abyss 1266 plus Amp. I was like, wow I need to get to Seattle to have a listen since I'm saving up for a TOTL can + amp. So that was my non-audiophile reaction to his audiophile gear. 

He seems to know his gear and bought via trying at the shops and trade shows so I don't think you need to have a headfi account to know a decent amount about cans. P.S he lurks but no account 

May 2, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #2,906 of 4,655
  That reminds me of my cousin who does NOT have a headfi account. I posted the below picture on facebook and my cousin who's from Seattle commented "No Audeze?LOL". I said I really didn't like the darkness of them and asked if he was into headphones also and what he has. He said so far: HD800, Stax SR507, now SR009 and WES. He's now shopping for an Abyss 1266 plus Amp. I was like, wow I need to get to Seattle to have a listen since I'm saving up for a TOTL can + amp. So that was my non-audiophile reaction to his audiophile gear. 

He seems to know his gear and bought via trying at the shops and trade shows so I don't think you need to have a headfi account to know a decent amount about cans. P.S he lurks but no account 

No Audeze?LOL

May 2, 2014 at 7:31 PM Post #2,909 of 4,655

Users who are viewing this thread

Back