Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II
May 3, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #2,926 of 4,655
I was just talking purely about the design, having never heard the PreSonus HD7 myself.
I sparked the most confusing conversation in head-fi history... AGAIN! ^.^. Lol. Ok, now how about we continue with the reactions guys lol. Oh, decibel, I get what you mean lol. I that once too, then have to specify I was talking about design, not sound.

May 3, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #2,929 of 4,655
After I gave my Grados some burn-in, I went with some friends who had record players to listen on some of our school's record players (which have very nice tube amps connected to them!)
Wow.  Listened to some LP's of acoustic guitar, and one of my friends who studies classical guitar got mad and threw off the headphones.  I asked her what was up.
"It's not fair for $300 headphones to sound that good- I have to work my ass off to get my Taylor guitar that good, and that cost $4000!"
Hahahaha. 
gs1000.gif

May 3, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #2,930 of 4,655
After I gave my Grados some burn-in, I went with some friends who had record players to listen on some of our school's record players (which have very nice tube amps connected to them!)
Wow.  Listened to some LP's of acoustic guitar, and one of my friends who studies classical guitar got mad and threw off the headphones.  I asked her what was up.
"It's not fair for $300 headphones to sound that good- I have to work my ass off to get my Taylor guitar that good, and that cost $4000!"
Hahahaha.  :gs1000smile:

The Grado is one of the best headphone to impress new comers IMO While I have come across something that cost so much more than the Grado sr60i, I find myself hunting for it specially when listening to rocks and guitars.

May 3, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #2,931 of 4,655
I saw someone posting a reaction to their cable.. I also had a reaction to mine for my he-300
Him: *looks at the Canare cable* why is it so long? And What is that dildo shaped thing? *Pointing to the XLR in the middle of the cable*.
Me: *opens it up, revealing the XLR part* with this I can plug it into bigger amps and stuff.
Him: oh do you have a big amp at home then?
Me: nope.
Him: then why do you have this cable?
Me, not feeling like explaining how a cable can change the sound: i don't really know..
*akward silence, followed by a subject switch*

May 3, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #2,933 of 4,655
The Grado is one of the best headphone to impress new comers IMO While I have come across something that cost so much more than the Grado sr60i, I find myself hunting for it specially when listening to rocks and guitars.

Agreed. The SR80i (might have been the 60, I don't remember that well) have a special place for me. I loved their sound when a friend let me listen to them, but as with all other on ears, I found them too uncomfortable. Still the only on-ear headphones (I bought the Image One before I knew there would be comfort issues, as they were my first pair of headphones) I'm willing to get simply because of the sound and price.

May 3, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #2,935 of 4,655
I saw someone posting a reaction to their cable.. I also had a reaction to mine for my he-300
Him: *looks at the Canare cable* why is it so long? And What is that dildo shaped thing? *Pointing to the XLR in the middle of the cable*.
Me: *opens it up, revealing the XLR part* with this I can plug it into bigger amps and stuff.
Him: oh do you have a big amp at home then?
Me: nope.
Him: then why do you have this cable?
Me, not feeling like explaining how a cable can change the sound: i don't really know..
*akward silence, followed by a subject switch*

LOL didos always make things funnier.
If I were you, I'd just pretend that it was one of those ipod mic control things.

May 3, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #2,936 of 4,655
Agreed. The SR80i (might have been the 60, I don't remember that well) have a special place for me. I loved their sound when a friend let me listen to them, but as with all other on ears, I found them too uncomfortable. Still the only on-ear headphones (I bought the Image One before I knew there would be comfort issues, as they were my first pair of headphones) I'm willing to get simply because of the sound and price.

I stretched the Grado headband to release clamping. Works pretty well although bass got reduced but I don't mind xD

May 3, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #2,937 of 4,655
LOL didos always make things funnier.
If I were you, I'd just pretend that it was one of those ipod mic control things.

Could've worked if it wasn't so huge, you could easily fit 10 of these regular controltalk square thingies in it. Can't make a photo right now, sorry.

Also, i'd like to read about your reactions, feel free to post them :)

May 3, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #2,939 of 4,655
  This sounds excellent and possibly hilarious.  I know when I find loudspeakers and cans that I really enjoy, I giggle like a maniac.

Haha, I always end up with a creepy grin on my face, One that I can't do on purpose even if I tried. I just can't stop smiling as I enter into audio nirvana. 

And.... I'm going to post my impressions on the HD-800 that a gentle-man was nice enough to let me listen to. It was at the Calgary meet back in September, so it was a while ago and unfortunately I don't remember his name (or the amps name that I used.... sorry). But those HD-800's man. Right off the start I was impressed, they were just so comfy (I find my UE6000 pretty comfy, but those were on another level). But those things are huge too. I remember sitting there on a chair, trying to hide my grin and just listen to the music (I played some MJ and The Beatles) lol. Unfortunately at the start the room was pretty loud so I didn't get to hear all that well, but it got quieter and I played "Hey Jude" (my fav Beatles song). Lets just say, I didn't listen to that song for the better part of a month after that lol. It was so good. I asked him how much he spent on it all (headphones plus the amp) and he said he got a good deal on them and paid something like 1200 for the 800 and 700 for the amp. I was speechless lol. I had an idea of how much the HD-800 cost, but the amp with it is insane. I listened to some other headphones, both high-end and mid-range, but that's the one experience I still remember quite fondly lol. Hopefully, I can afford something like that in the near future (you know, the time between parents not caring and not being married because after that it's good bye disposable income)

May 3, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #2,940 of 4,655
Haha, I always end up with a creepy grin on my face, One that I can't do on purpose even if I tried. I just can't stop smiling as I enter into audio nirvana. 

And.... I'm going to post my impressions on the HD-800 that a gentle-man was nice enough to let me listen to. It was at the Calgary meet back in September, so it was a while ago and unfortunately I don't remember his name (or the amps name that I used.... sorry). But those HD-800's man. Right off the start I was impressed, they were just so comfy (I find my UE6000 pretty comfy, but those were on another level). But those things are huge too. I remember sitting there on a chair, trying to hide my grin and just listen to the music (I played some MJ and The Beatles) lol. Unfortunately at the start the room was pretty loud so I didn't get to hear all that well, but it got quieter and I played "Hey Jude" (my fav Beatles song). Lets just say, I didn't listen to that song for the better part of a month after that lol. It was so good. I asked him how much he spent on it all (headphones plus the amp) and he said he got a good deal on them and paid something like 1200 for the 800 and 700 for the amp. I was speechless lol. I had an idea of how much the HD-800 cost, but the amp with it is insane. I listened to some other headphones, both high-end and mid-range, but that's the one experience I still remember quite fondly lol. Hopefully, I can afford something like that in the near future (you know, the time between parents not caring and not being married because after that it's good bye disposable income)

Sounds great, i wish i had a chance to listen to a good hd800 rig. One time I've heard it but that was under pretty bad circumstances (only had mp3's straight from youtube, onto my android phone, into a not too fancy looking amp/DAC, to the hd800s)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back