NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
Dec 29, 2013 at 1:39 AM Post #2,536 of 4,971
  you will need to build a new power supply for the heaters, the 6088 needs a 'battery' supply of 1.2v and the sort of tubes you are talking about are 6.3 / 12.6v and need vastly different currents. You will need a new high voltage supply to operate these 9 pin tubes as the voltage and bias aren't close for your tube. You will need to add some physical sockets also from the 5 pins the 6088 uses to a nine pin socket for the tube you suggest. You are basically talking a new amp  but if you are going down that route try one of these for a starters.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190889436014?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

it will allow you to mount a socket of your choice and run the flying leads to the Vali and other leads from your separate PSUs. and I thought the LD DIYs had gone weird in their mods :) at least their amp was designed to roll even if some of the tubes rolled now need serious adapters / PSUs / DIY.

I see. Well, thanks for that, I didn't know it would be that involved. Doesn't seem worth the trouble.

It's good to know that those PC boards exist though, that surely would have come in handy.

Dec 29, 2013 at 2:56 AM Post #2,537 of 4,971

mike, you know guys like us don't do anything half-assed! 
overkill is a good thing !
yesterday, the vali was in front of the wadia 121
today, the ifi idac

that sounds like a KILLER combo!!

About to try the Vali on my current reference DAC (as opposed to the seductive sound of the D100): The Mytek Stereo-192 DSD DAC...

I'm pumped to hear it!

BTW - I'm not sure if mass-loading the amp chassis could have ANY effect on the ringing, since it's reportedly inside the tube - but nonetheless, 
I tend to do it when dealing with a lighter component - and thus far I'm just having a BLAST with the Vali!!

Dec 29, 2013 at 3:31 AM Post #2,538 of 4,971
I feel the need to upgrade my Matrix M-Stage but I dont know how the Vali is compare to Fiio E09K or M-Stage

Dec 29, 2013 at 3:47 AM Post #2,539 of 4,971
HE-400 might be close to noise threshold on the Vali, but should be fine on the M-Stage as you already know. The new M-Stage is mostly about upgrading the DAC portion of the USB DAC equipped model (the HPA-1 w/USB is kinda bad using on board DAC). There are some minor amp upgrades, but unless you are unhappy currently, I'd just stick with what you have. I might be able to compare the first version and second version in a couple of weeks, I'll try to remember to let you know what I find.

Dec 29, 2013 at 4:22 AM Post #2,540 of 4,971

mike, you know guys like us don't do anything half-assed! 
overkill is a good thing !
yesterday, the vali was in front of the wadia 121
today, the ifi idac

Thanks for posting this response Jay!

I tried the Wadia 121 tonight in front of the Vali tonight as opposed to the Mytek.
I finally got my hands on one (the 121) and I've been eager to match it up with a tube or hybrid tube headphone amp,
and you inspired me to do so! They are an excellent sonic pairing.

Products like the Vali bring things back to Earth for me.
Coming from the high end two-channel background years ago, where there's so much snake oil, and over-priced snake oil at that - things like the Vali remind me of hearing Andrew Jones excitement about his $89 Pioneer two-ways at RMAF two years ago - he was more excited to play those for me than his 20k TAD loudspeakers!

We talked about how challenging it is to build a great product for less.
He seemed so proud of those Pioneers, and he had reason to be.

When Jason teased Warren (warrenpchi) and me about the Vali at the California Audio Show earlier this year we were drooling to hear what was coming!
I'm definitely not giving this review sample back!

Dec 29, 2013 at 8:37 AM Post #2,541 of 4,971
I feel the need to upgrade my Matrix M-Stage but I dont know how the Vali is compare to Fiio E09K or M-Stage

Not sure if I mentioned this or not, but I owned a Matrix M Stage [Solid State Amp] and honestly the Vali isn't nearly as warm as my M Stage was :O yea it lacks the gain controls [the NFb es2 has those on it's line out... YAY] but sound quality wise I find it a step above! And I rolled an LME 49990 OP Amp into my unit...

my point being it sounds good, how ever if ur talking about the m Stage dac... I can't help you much there >.> 

Dec 29, 2013 at 9:31 AM Post #2,542 of 4,971
  Thanks for posting this response Jay!

I tried the Wadia 121 tonight in front of the Vali tonight as opposed to the Mytek.
I finally got my hands on one (the 121) and I've been eager to match it up with a tube or hybrid tube headphone amp,
and you inspired me to do so! They are an excellent sonic pairing.

Products like the Vali bring things back to Earth for me.
Coming from the high end two-channel background years ago, where there's so much snake oil, and over-priced snake oil at that - things like the Vali remind me of hearing Andrew Jones excitement about his $89 Pioneer two-ways at RMAF two years ago - he was more excited to play those for me than his 20k TAD loudspeakers!

We talked about how challenging it is to build a great product for less.
He seemed so proud of those Pioneers, and he had reason to be.

When Jason teased Warren (warrenpchi) and me about the Vali at the California Audio Show earlier this year we were drooling to hear what was coming!
I'm definitely not giving this review sample back!

and what about the 121's headphone out ? its no slouch by itself !!
and when you consider it can be an "all in one" desk top piece, amp/dac/pre, its a good value, especially when you get it when its Todd the Vinyl Junkies DEAL OF THE DAY !!
biggrin.gif

Dec 29, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #2,544 of 4,971
I've found another "alternative" base for the Vali amp that users could opt for if needed.  The particular device I purchased was from an air conditioning and heating supply house.  With my contractor's discount, it was only $1.10 for the 4" x 4" version.  However, they did have quite a few size options.  For example: a 1.5" x 1.5" square - if using one per corner.  A larger 8" x 8" square.  Some rectangular options in sizes as well as an all-rubber version without cork as a layer.

Pics as follows:

The anti-vibration pad consists of 3 layers.  Two rubber outer layers and a middle layer constructed of cork.

A view of the ribbed rubber outer layer.

Placed into position.  In my example, the 4 rubber feet on the bottom of the amp are spaced out a bit too wide.  However, they could be removed, kept as-is, or even brought closer together so they can sit on top of the pad itself.

Dec 29, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #2,548 of 4,971
Have u opened the chassis to check if the tubes are firmly down?
I saw (who I think is) an official spokesman for Schiit on this thread say it wouldn't effect the warranty if it was opened but am weary on a straight return. I saw about the foam but couldn't find exactly how to fix it ect also. This post is deep and hard to dig through. Should I try to correct it? Personally I would much rather fix it than return it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back