NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
Dec 27, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #2,506 of 4,971
WOW
it might be total overkill - but using this MacIntosh D100 (DAC/digital pre-amp/headphone amp) that I got in for review
in front of the Vali!  LOL

Like I said, I know it's overkill - but it's really showing me the Vali's potential!
Driving my Audeze LCD-X or Alpha Dogs - the bottom end is punctuated fiercely  - the mids clean with smooth velocity,
and the highs are extended w/ magnificent sparkle.

This is an addictive combo!

I also put this small Music Hall DAC ahead of it earlier (have to look at the model number) and that match was superb.

I'm SO psyched to have a small, modern, slick affordable hybrid tube headphone amp to recommend to friends just getting
into this! Most of my prior recommendations were smaller, limited power units...

Dec 27, 2013 at 11:31 PM Post #2,507 of 4,971
WOW
it might be total overkill - but using this MacIntosh D100 (DAC/digital pre-amp/headphone amp) that I got in for review

Like I said, I know it's overkill - but it's really showing me the Vali's potential!
Driving my Audeze LCD-X or Alpha Dogs - the bottom end is punctuated fiercely  - the mids clean with smooth velocity,
and the highs are extended w/ magnificent sparkle.

This is an addictive combo!

I also put this small Music Hall DAC ahead of it earlier (have to look at the model number) and that match was superb.

I'm SO psyched to have a small, modern, slick affordable hybrid tube headphone amp to recommend to friends just getting
into this! Most of my prior recommendations were smaller, limited power units...

Bass?

Dec 27, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #2,508 of 4,971
Not overkill.. have used the Naim DAC-V1 (think they're in the same league) with the Vali - pretty sweet but I prefer the Naim built in amp.

How's the D100 built in HP amp?? It was on my list but I got a killer deal on the Naim so skipped the D100 totally.

Quote:
  WOW

Dec 28, 2013 at 6:09 AM Post #2,512 of 4,971
im thinking of ordering vali+modi and a hd650 or hd598.
I have the Audio-GD NFB-11.32 with he500 right now.

will modi+vali be a good combo for hd598?
will this combo beat modi+vali with hd650?
or Audio-GD NFB-11.32 with hd650 ?

Dec 28, 2013 at 8:00 AM Post #2,513 of 4,971
im thinking of ordering vali+modi and a hd650 or hd598.
I have the Audio-GD NFB-11.32 with he500 right now.

Dpn't get the Modo of you already have an NFB11.32 that unit is a Dac amp combo right? If so use the line outs on the back of your NFB 11.32 to drive into the Vali. That's what I'm doing right now, my NFb 10ES2 is driving my Vali. 

Dec 28, 2013 at 8:16 AM Post #2,514 of 4,971
  Who's game for taking this amp and converting the tube pins over to the 5-pin sockets for installing the stacks for tube rolling?  In theory, I'm assuming this is possible.  Also, it obviously should address the microphonics issues.  Though, I'm not to sure how the current sound could be FUBARd.  Too many irons in the fire for me to consider this at the moment.  Then again, if this were to happen maybe we could then give it cute name like the Lil' Lyr.
tongue.gif

Honestly don't think it'd be worth it. Much of the reason Vali performs as it does, is that it's been finely tuned to the specific curve, optimum linear range, optimal power requirements and I suspect components in the hybrid part of the circuit where probably chosen for their synergy with this tube. I love to 'roll' myself, but really - it should be saved for amps designed for it. 

Dec 28, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #2,515 of 4,971
  Dpn't get the Modo of you already have an NFB11.32 that unit is a Dac amp combo right? If so use the line outs on the back of your NFB 11.32 to drive into the Vali. That's what I'm doing right now, my NFb 10ES2 is driving my Vali. 

yeah i know. but if i buy the vali i think i will buy the modi 2, cause its sexier xD

so my questions is still:

Dec 28, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #2,517 of 4,971
Thanks. PYST RCA or PYST XLR? Is there a quality difference between these and something much cheaper from Amazon?

I got both cables from monoprice for 1/7 the price. Shipping included.
Forgot to mention I got the Modi and magni. Decided I didn't get the Vali or the other amps I was thinking about. Praying it sounds nice and hope it kills my current setup.

Dec 28, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #2,520 of 4,971
I really didn't have a good home for a Vali in my systems, but now I do! I recently set up a turntable for the first time in years. Oddly, I found that neither the Mjolnir nor the Woo WA22 sound even close to their best when fed a single ended source...like the output from my phono preamp*. So I now have an order placed for a Vali which will be fed from the phono preamp and will drive my various LCD's.

*interesting aside...the Woo WA22 fed by the SE source sounded closed in with almost no treble whatsoever. The Mjolnir was just the opposite, super bright and fatiguing. Neither amp sounded like that when fed a balanced source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back