New Shure SE215 - First Impressions
May 5, 2011 at 11:19 AM Post #631 of 1,937

Quote:
@ T.O.F.A,

I am going to returning them today, I ignore how long shure will need to replace or repair mine, as I don't have understand e-mailing with them if they are going repair or to replace mines. They send me a repair return number, making me suppose they are going to repair them, but told me to send them all the package as I bought it, with all its content. On their website they write that being earphones sealed products, they don't repair but replace them. I will tell you forward, but I think that 10 days is the time that they need to check, replace, and send back to you, shipping times included. Shure is a great and reliable company, so we don't have to worry!

Well in my case, they didn't ask for the whole packaging only for the earphones, so case is probably they're going to repair mine dang it.
Btw what happened with your se215? And somehow the 2 years warranty become 1 year if you're an international customer.
My case is bought it in the states, and then needs it to be repaired in china. Hopefully that 10 days counting the shipping times, that would at least same 1 day.

May 5, 2011 at 1:16 PM Post #632 of 1,937
Send them a e-mail asking about this. Give a look on their website (being in england I looked on their uk website) If they haven't told you about the package, but your right under warranty is that they replace them, is their fault. Ask them and eventually send them the whole package before they start to check/repair/do some other thing. 

May 5, 2011 at 1:24 PM Post #633 of 1,937

Quote:
Wore my 215s today after two weeks of commuting with my 1964-Q. Even after coming off of the much more superior sound of my customs, I still love the sound sig of the 215 and it doesn't take my ear long to adjust back to the sig. I still think these are great bang for the buck IEMs in sound and build.

where will you position them in your sig?

May 5, 2011 at 2:40 PM Post #634 of 1,937

Quote:
where will you position them in your sig?

Great question! Right now, they would be about tied with the HJE-900 (meaning there are some elements I like better in one IEM than I do in the other - for example, I like the mids better in the 215, but I like the portrayal of electric guitars better in the HJE-900). Now, I haven't listened to my DDM is quite a while, so perhaps I'll do an A/B of the 215 and DDM tonight. My thinking on memory alone is that the DDM will have more quantity bass and unique layered mids sounds, whereas I believe the 215 will have much more overall clarity and better treble than the DDM.

May 5, 2011 at 2:58 PM Post #635 of 1,937
Does anybody else who has used SE115s before feel that these transmit substantially more noise than the 115s did?  I'm not sure if it's the memory wire or what, but now that i'm using the old (left bud still works) and the new 215s, it's driving me crazy.

May 5, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #636 of 1,937

Quote:
Great question! Right now, they would be about tied with the HJE-900 (meaning there are some elements I like better in one IEM than I do in the other - for example, I like the mids better in the 215, but I like the portrayal of electric guitars better in the HJE-900). Now, I haven't listened to my DDM is quite a while, so perhaps I'll do an A/B of the 215 and DDM tonight. My thinking on memory alone is that the DDM will have more quantity bass and unique layered mids sounds, whereas I believe the 215 will have much more overall clarity and better treble than the DDM.

interessting. today i did a lot AB testing with the se215 and the ie8. the ie8 has by far more clarity and details in the mids and highs. soundstage on the ie8 is 3d, while on the se215 is only 2d and not that wide. when it comes to bass the se215 wins because the upper and midbass does not bleed into the mids. its pronounciation is more in the sub bass departement. and it is somewhat dryer. so ie8 mixed with the shures bass would be near perfect.

one more question, is the soundsignature of the shures comparable to that of the quads?

May 5, 2011 at 3:23 PM Post #637 of 1,937
mini review from Tyll at InnerFidelity. :)

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/shure-ear-series-se215-se315-se425-and-se535

May 5, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #638 of 1,937
Hi everybody. I'm going to buy the new se215... I've just read this thread, but I have some problems with english so I don't understand well. I'm italian and I've already discuss in italian forum about se215 but someone suggest me the following earphone:
- etymotic er6i
- etymotic hf5
- akg k370

I will use the earphones with ipod and I aim to have an hot sound..and good bass... which one do you suggest me?

May 5, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #641 of 1,937

Quote:
interessting. today i did a lot AB testing with the se215 and the ie8. the ie8 has by far more clarity and details in the mids and highs. soundstage on the ie8 is 3d, while on the se215 is only 2d and not that wide. when it comes to bass the se215 wins because the upper and midbass does not bleed into the mids. its pronounciation is more in the sub bass departement. and it is somewhat dryer. so ie8 mixed with the shures bass would be near perfect.

one more question, is the soundsignature of the shures comparable to that of the quads?

No. There is no comparison at all with the two sound signature. First, the 215 signature is much warmer than the Quad's. Second, the bass in the Quad is gobs clearer, more tranparent and the bass notes extend far deeper, but with clarity and transparency. Music is taller and fuller in the Quads, and the best example of this I can give is in the kick drums. In the 215, you can hear a little reverb in the kick drum or when other drums are hit. In the Quad, however, you hear a lot of reverb and punch when the kick drum is kicked, which is more natural sounding to my ears. Also, you hear far more micro details. No comparison really. But some may find the 215 a more fun sounding IEM than the Quad. The Quad is not mean to sound fun per say. It's an in-ear monitor, so it's suppose to present the music in a drier and more neutral manner. Some don't love this type of sound signature that the Quad possesses, but I do. I also like the 215 quite a bit though. Hope that helps.

May 5, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #643 of 1,937
Thanks to Tyll's measurements, my suspicions are confirmed: look at that nasty peak at 5kHz, which isn't present on any of the other models.

May 5, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #644 of 1,937
Do you have at least 100hr of burn-in/usage time with the new SE215s before you bash them and compare them to a pair of IEM whose sig. you've used to for 6 years? If not then that huge red block of text is pretty much worthless.

Also would you care to explain this "every other area" which the SE215s suffer in comparison to the E2Cs?

Quote:
Okay, I had been VERY pleased with the E2Cs for the past 6 years; so pleased, I'd been through 3 pair (due to cable breakage/shorting). I happen to prefer the dynamic driver at this price point vs. other technologies at the same price point. So last week I finally got fed up with having to fiddle with the right bud & cable on my 3rd pair: staying still to prevent it from shorting-out. So I take them to the SHURE for repair, but instead of repair, I was told it could only be replaced with the SE215, which had a newer "high-definition micro driver" ... Well, I'm very dissapointed. The 215s do have a wider soundstage, but suffer in EVERY other area.

I'm someone who thinks neutral IS fun. The fun is in the music itself, but it also comes in hearing the recording the way it was mastered and comparing/contrasing. I don't want to sacrifice clarity for bass and soundstage, especially if the bass is occasionally sloppy and without timbre. What I'd like to know is how the Shure Rep. thought these were the best dynamic drivers they've ever tested; if that's the case maybe they just did a poor job tuning them.

I miss the clarity & definition of the E2Cs ... The bass was actually THERE too: at least enough for my taste. If Shure combined the much improved soundstage and design (fit & detachable cable) of the 215s with the other sonic attributes of the E2Cs, we'd have a winner. Unfortunately, I do not think we do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back