NEW! SENDY AUDIO AIVA Impressions?
Apr 12, 2019 at 9:49 AM Post #211 of 714
Of course, but I'm also gonna check the biggest criticisms about the pair I bought first. As far as the mid dip, I don't even mind it and with majority of the music I listen to I don't even notice it. The more music I listen to the more I like these, although Liar by Queen sounded weird. I'll run some more 70s-80s rock through it and see if it sounds off. But even if it does, that's probably like 10% of what I listen to.

I wasn't articulating a criticism, when i asked you about that test, test, testing stuff you are doing. After all, you are doing what you love, and i do what i love, and its all good when it involves a headphone.
Its interesting that you mention a song from the 1st Queen Album, as i happen to be a Queen Aficionado.
Currently in this world, there is Queen Mania, but the real fans, watched the movie, and noticed that it was anything but related to a time line of actual events in the life of the band, and in fact, Freddie never proposed to Mary Austin.
But , this makes for a lot of DRAMA, and so, it is what it is..
And as you are apparently a Queen fan, you realize that the first 6 albums represent the "real" Queen, and all the music that involves anything like "Another One Bites the Dust", has basically nothing to do with real Queen music as the band envisioned it.
So, to really drill it down, Bo Rap made them famous, but its the First 3 albums, that are the "Real Queen" sound, and to a finer point, its the 2nd Album that is their MasterWork.
I'll check out some Queen with the Sendys., but i think i will be ok with them, as Queen tunes, tend to sound kinda thin inside headphones, and even the last batch of remasters, still can't really compensate for analog records that are 40 yrs old.
I have bootlegs that sound as good as, and at least one from Golder's Green, a really early live show, that sounds better then any legit Queen album.
The stuff they did with "MACK" is their worst sounding music, as this was early in the life of "digital sound" and it sounds it....yuk.
Anyway, back to the Sendys..

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2019 at 3:16 AM Post #213 of 714
This my 2nd update on the trio Sendy Aiva, Audeze LCD2c and Hifiman HEXv2 (and sometimes Aeon Flow open/closed). Now a week in, things have moved around a bit and I like the Aiva quite a bit more. The first thing, I think, is that the Aiva's need a pretty long burn-in (longer than the Aeons, or alternatively my noggin had too, just not for the other 2).

Comparing some qualities, strengths and weaknesses:

The strength of the Aiva is it's all-around refinement low to high, and it plays many genres well, and everything is pretty fast and dynamic. It brings lots of easy detail - without being bright or harsh. The bass has less impact, and I think drops off earlier than either the LCD or the HEX but it seems more controlled than the HEX. The mid-high dip seems to have reduced somewhat, but EQ has to compensate for me. Otherwise I experience recessed overtones on voices and many instruments, which reduces their character and emotion. The Aiva's main negative for me still is the 'cup' compression that I hear - I'm not sure if anyone tried modding it, adding damping, swapped pads..? The Aiva also sounds a lot more balanced in FR when playing louder.

The Aiva is good, but less dynamic than the LCD2C. However, there's a lot of refinement in the mids & highs, so that it is easily forgivable. The soundstage wraps around very well and is reasonably wide as a result. Only on the extremes it becomes that blob on the side. It places everything accurately with good separation, but lacks the air around it that the LCD2c has. Depth I think is highly personally, but it seems pretty flat with not that much variation in depth. The Sendy does need a good amp, else the bass collapses (despite some generalising comments above, especially headphone tube amps do not have to be bad at this, nor loose detail, and certainly not sloppy and slow; their much higher voltages make for excellent dynamic range ..)

The LCD2c's lack some refinement and some resolution in mids & highs. It's the most dynamic of the three (or 5) and has so much definition, resolution and impact down low, EDM, pop, metal .. anything with impressive lows will show up with this headphone. Voices also sound very real /natural. The soundstage with the LCD2c is a little less wide, but has much more a sense of depth. Everything seems to have a place in space and not projected on a flat plane. FR wise, there's a noticeable narrow but fairly deep dip at 5K.. on a particular track, the drum brush had totally disappeared in it :) On dynamic tracks like Mike Oldfields Amarok, the LCD2c conveys quiet passages really well - they're nicely contrasted, where as the Hifiman and the Aiva have more trouble to conveying a 'breather'. This headphone has a slightly dark character, so coming from the two others, it sometimes takes a couple of minutes to adjust. And once there, it's hard to switch back to the other two.

Moving to the HEXv2, this is the more polite sounding of the three, although still more interesting than an Aeon Flow. I find myself reaching for this one whenever something is not close-recorded in a venue, anything approaching vocal or towards acoustical. It has the most spacious projection, it seems to have the least 'headphone' (and the low weight is consistent with the sound character there) . The FR seems to match the sound of being in the 10th row of a concert.. very little lacking in that experience - it feels natural. The bass also reaches deep. I was listening to the 'Emma' from Jeff Wayne and the lowest notes of the bass around 30hz come through very nicely. Old vocals driven 60's tracks are such a pleasure to listen too on the HEXv2. There is an harmonising quality or coherence to it, like the Aeon Flow, but that shines brighter in this Hifiman. That and the comfort is why I'd keep it around, plus it's very easy to drive.

Overall, these 3 all bring something different and they're very enjoyable listens. If I had to pick one now: still easy, the LCD2c.

Apr 15, 2019 at 12:46 AM Post #214 of 714
Mine are on the way. Was looking at the 1060cs but thought the sendys would be better as I already have some modded 1060s.

I will find out but it seems like the Sendys are just super revealing and if your amps and sources are not solid you will hear it. Be interested to see how it works out.

Drummer Leo has a dante source albeit better than mine so hopefully the source will be ok. Be interested to see how the amps work out. No one knows I bet but me since I doubt anyone had the crazy thought to use 2 amps for balanced operation and batteries too.

Can't wait to see how it lands.

Apr 15, 2019 at 1:09 AM Post #215 of 714
Mine are on the way. Was looking at the 1060cs but thought the sendys would be better as I already have some modded 1060s.

I will find out but it seems like the Sendys are just super revealing and if your amps and sources are not solid you will hear it. Be interested to see how it works out.

Drummer Leo has a dante source albeit better than mine so hopefully the source will be ok. Be interested to see how the amps work out. No one knows I bet but me since I doubt anyone had the crazy thought to use 2 amps for balanced operation and batteries too.

Can't wait to see how it lands.

Sendy is overall better than M1060c, which are my current two most used headphones. M1060c is a fantastic closed back though. 1060c has stronger bass, but the aivas are surprisingly not as far behind as i expected.

Apr 15, 2019 at 1:25 AM Post #216 of 714
Sendy is overall better than M1060c, which are my current two most used headphones. M1060c is a fantastic closed back though. 1060c has stronger bass, but the aivas are surprisingly not as far behind as i expected.
Appreciate the response. I would open up the 1060c if i bought one. Good to kno about the sendy! Looks like i made the right choice!

Let you know how it goes.

Apr 15, 2019 at 12:40 PM Post #218 of 714
That's such a waste imo.
you mean making it openback?

Some reviewers where doing that and seem to think it worthwhile. I just like open backs for the most part and that would be my first inclination. But are you saying it sounds better than openbacks? Or that it was designed to be a closed back so that is how it should be used?

Apr 15, 2019 at 1:09 PM Post #220 of 714
You'll like the Sendy's.
Nice sound, more overall bass response then i expected.
Very pretty gear.
I hope so. Monoprice is messing with me dropping the M1060c to $269...

FWIW I like the "thin" clear bass over the thick boomy kind. Less is more IMHO.

Can't wait to get them. This was a birthday "suck it tax man" treat.

Apr 15, 2019 at 1:14 PM Post #221 of 714
I hope so. Monoprice is messing with me dropping the M1060c to $269...

FWIW I like the "thin" clear bass over the thick boomy kind. Less is more IMHO.

Can't wait to get them. This was a birthday "suck it tax man" treat.

Happy Birthday. !
And you can't buy a better Planar at this price.
And you certainly can't buy a prettier one.
And about that bass......well, its not Fidelio X2 bass.
But its also not Aeon C bass.
Its ample but in a good way.
You might even hear it as "lite", but i hear it as solid.
All ears do what they do, so, lets see what your's do....:)

Apr 15, 2019 at 1:37 PM Post #222 of 714
Happy Birthday. !
And you can't buy a better Planar at this price.
And you certainly can't buy a prettier one.
And about that bass......well, its not Fidelio X2 bass.
But its also not Aeon C bass.
Its ample but in a good way.
You might even hear it as "lite", but i hear it as solid.
All ears do what they do, so, lets see what your's do....:)
Thanks. Interesting to hear comparisons to other headphones. I doubt I will ever hear those but it helps to get a sense of what I am missing or not missing.

Sounds like the bass will be to my liking. Long story but imagine you grew up drinking muddy water. One day some one gives you pure water and you wig saying "this is not water, its too clean and there is no grit..." Sadly I think what we think of as bass is just bloat and we are so used to it that the pure sound is considered lite.

Another analogy is looking with a microscope. When the image is out of focus the image is bigger but when when you get it focused, its smaller...

Apr 15, 2019 at 2:10 PM Post #223 of 714
Working on my review now. I'm very impressed by these.

M2FMFqBl.jpg

5rNwuG0l.jpg

Apr 15, 2019 at 3:24 PM Post #224 of 714
Working on my review now. I'm very impressed by these.

M2FMFqBl.jpg

5rNwuG0l.jpg
Nice Picts!

I have to ditch the cable. How important is that do you think in the sound?

Apr 15, 2019 at 3:40 PM Post #225 of 714
Nice Picts!

I have to ditch the cable. How important is that do you think in the sound?

I don't think they're using any special conductor for the stock cable. Even then, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Cables have only a subtle affect at best.

What don't you like about it? The cable has good ergonomics and isn't very microphonic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back