NEW! SENDY AUDIO AIVA Impressions?
Apr 16, 2019 at 10:41 PM Post #241 of 709
Maybe I don't get it but how is it single ended output? I thought by definition that if the output is not sharing grounds its balanced. How can two separate amps share grounds? Sure if I ran both left and right off of ONE amp it would be single ended as the channels would share grounds. But I am not doing that and the grounds aren't commo

To answer your question, I bother with this setup for a few reasons:

1. 1st off vc is handled by my dac which has a line out controlled by a nice big volume knob. The amps are set to mono and max volume and never touched, so no calibration needed.
2. It sounds better with 2. The background is blacker and the separation is better. Seems to have more drive.
3. Its battery powered! This helps with the clarity and well having each amp amplifying only one channel means the batteries last longer...
4. Because there are 2 inputs and a balance control between each input, I can connect 2 sources without swapping headphones between amps. If I used one of these, I would just have one source.

No hungry cans here. All can run easily off a phone but sound better off the 2 amps.

See here for how balanced cabling works:
https://www.boxcast.com/blog/balanced-vs.-unbalanced-audio-whats-the-difference

1. This maximizes gain of your noise floor and minimize your S/N but might make the amp more linear in its response depending on chips and architecture, etc. Though this is generally done for B- classed power amps. Pre/ headphone amps should already be extremely linear across their operating range.

2. Those Beringer's may also have an issue with crosstalk this solves going dual mono. You get 3dB more headroom of drive, yes but blacker seems contrary to 1.

3. Your driving more electronics with 2x more heat loss. Your runtime increases but your power efficiency drops notably. You'll need more batteries to get trough a day. Clarity might decrease if the batteries sag or get low if there's less current readily available and boost circuits have limited inductive capacity. Noise floor might improve on batteries but if audible (your at max gain) on power then the amp has poor filtering and design.

4. Handy but hardly difficult to swap a couple patches.

There's a reason you don't see headphones setup like this. The gains are modest and the losses are notable. But if you like the sound and operation then just enjoy the music!

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2019 at 11:14 PM Post #242 of 709
See here for how balanced cabling works:
https://www.boxcast.com/blog/balanced-vs.-unbalanced-audio-whats-the-difference

1. This maximizes gain of your noise floor and minimize your S/N but might make the amp more linear in its response depending on chips and architecture, etc.

2. Those Beringer's may have an issue with crosstalk this solves going dual mono. You get 3dB more headroom of drive, yes but blacker seems contrary to 1.

3. Your driving more electronics with 2x more heat loss. Your runtime increases but your power efficiency drops notably. You'll need more batteries to get trough a day. Clarity might decrease if the batteries sag or get low if there's less current readily available and boost circuits have limited inductive capacity. Noise floor might improve on batteries but if audible (your at max gain) on power then the amp has poor filtering and design.

4. Handy but hardly difficult to swap a couple patches.

There's a reason you don't see headphones setup like this. The gains are modest and the losses are notable. But if you like the sound and operation then just enjoy the music!
That link was for balanced cabling. We are not talking about that...

1. I don't get what you are saying. Amps are always full gain. Amps for speakers. Rarely do they have any kind of attenuation. They are usually max and the pre adjusts the signal. That is what is going on here. If what you are saying is right there are tons of amps that are limiting S/N and upping the noise floor.

2. Yes it does go against #1. That is because I don't think #1 is happening. FWIW they sound great when used single ended using just one for the left and right. But they do sound cleaner than the amps I have here. The Vali2 and the Focusrite AM2 arent as clean as the behringers.

3. I think if you had one of these and could mess with it it would make sense. There is a balance and its designed to let you adjust the amount of each input in the mix. I essentially turn one input off so the amp is just amplifying one channel so not sure how it is less efficient. I get about a day out of one battery. Never tried a psu with this because it just sounds so clean and the psu is extra. No need to get off the batteries.

4. True.

Coda music makes a exact copy or Behringer copied them. Who knows but maybe I should just change to that so no one has to say the B word....

Here is a link, it explains the mix feature. As I read it and experience it setting it in mono and panning to the one input connected essentially just amps one input...

https://www.codamusictech.com/products/wired-in-ear-monitor-system-headphone-amplifier

Apr 17, 2019 at 1:05 AM Post #243 of 709
That link was for balanced cabling. We are not talking about that...

1. I don't get what you are saying. Amps are always full gain. Amps for speakers. Rarely do they have any kind of attenuation. They are usually max and the pre adjusts the signal. That is what is going on here. If what you are saying is right there are tons of amps that are limiting S/N and upping the noise floor.

2. Yes it does go against #1. That is because I don't think #1 is happening. FWIW they sound great when used single ended using just one for the left and right. But they do sound cleaner than the amps I have here. The Vali2 and the Focusrite AM2 arent as clean as the behringers.

3. I think if you had one of these and could mess with it it would make sense. There is a balance and its designed to let you adjust the amount of each input in the mix. I essentially turn one input off so the amp is just amplifying one channel so not sure how it is less efficient. I get about a day out of one battery. Never tried a psu with this because it just sounds so clean and the psu is extra. No need to get off the batteries.

4. True.

Coda music makes a exact copy or Behringer copied them. Who knows but maybe I should just change to that so no one has to say the B word....

Here is a link, it explains the mix feature. As I read it and experience it setting it in mono and panning to the one input connected essentially just amps one input...

https://www.codamusictech.com/products/wired-in-ear-monitor-system-headphone-amplifier

1. True but these are opamps not power amps for speakers. Regardless you could flip the notion and decrease the gain to further suppress your noise floor. Up the gain of your DAC to near line level. Calibrate your amp volumes once

2 Balanced is of biggest benefit on long cable runs and in proximity to noisy electronics. SE is likely ~inaudible difference on a HP cable running from the front of your kit to your head. Just using braided cables also has a physical balancing noise cancelling right along the wire itself. Clean power is good power.

3. I've got some of their gear, a studio tube preamp (for overdrive), a third octave eq, and a DRC unit. It's in a stage rack with some amps and a mixing board. Their stuff is more "pro gear" and P1 looks intended to mix in a mic or sources. Their gear is great value, solid sound but... there's always buts...

3. Power brick could still deliver cleaner sound via comparative current abundance but you've likely got enough of it with dual mono already. Sure hope you're using rechargeables for that two pack a day habbit!

4. Still a pain yanking cables, welcome feature are always extra inputs.

Will take a look at the rest tomorrow. Late here,, Sendy's beckoning me. It's always interesting to see things folks come up with in pursuit of better sound. A great adventure & happy listening!

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2019 at 2:12 AM Post #244 of 709
I don't think they're using any special conductor for the stock cable. Even then, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Cables have only a subtle affect at best.

What don't you like about it? The cable has good ergonomics and isn't very microphonic.

Is that a dual entry single pole 3.5mm? Like Focal style, if so I've got some awesome cables to use with it :D

Also are we able to run these fully balanced as is?

Lastly,

"more bass than I expected" nooooooooo hopefully these are Cascade [No filter] kinda of "more bass"

Apr 17, 2019 at 9:08 AM Post #245 of 709
They are giving these headphones free with lotoo and n8 orders on music tech

Apr 17, 2019 at 9:10 AM Post #246 of 709
Is that a dual entry single pole 3.5mm? Like Focal style, if so I've got some awesome cables to use with it :D

Lastly,

"more bass than I expected" nooooooooo hopefully these are Cascade [No filter] kinda of "more bass"

Nope, the plugs are 2.5mm

Apr 17, 2019 at 10:18 AM Post #248 of 709
If you ever get to florida let me know.

Florida is a great State.
Sugar white beaches, lovely tans all around if the Summer has Sun, & lots of fun to be found if you are into having any.
Its a southern State that does not have a "deep south" mentality.
Its Unique in the known universe.
It reminds me of Israel. Its freedom loving, its beautiful, its filled with fine musicians and artists and educated peoples, it has a beautiful coast, and everyone is trying to go there..........

Apr 17, 2019 at 10:39 AM Post #249 of 709

Lastly,

The cable is already balanced, terminated to 4.4mm TRRRS. Then there is an adapter for 4.4mm-to-3.5mm single-ended.

Apr 18, 2019 at 2:01 AM Post #250 of 709
Even though I probably shouldn't get them because I don't need to be spending more money, but I had to after seeing all the glowing reviews. They'll be here Friday and I'm very much looking forward to getting them.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2019 at 12:16 PM Post #252 of 709
Why the come with a 4.4mm balanced cable as the main one makes no sense to me. I don't have any balanced equipment to begin with let alone the rare 4.4mm connection. From the pics it looks like they use the same connections as the HD700 and Audioquest headphones so hopefully I can use one of those instead of having to use the 4.4mm to 3.5mm then a 3.5mm to 1/4 inch adapter so it works with my amps.

Also, I really looking forward to hearing how the compare to my LCD-2C. I know they'll be brighter but I'm wondering if they'll sound just as good to me or even better because I love the 2C.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2019 at 12:59 PM Post #253 of 709
Just got mine free with the lotoo paw gold touch. They sound ace but anybody find the connectors that go into the phones aren't that secure and even sound cuts out as you move around?

Apr 18, 2019 at 2:42 PM Post #254 of 709
Even though I probably shouldn't get them because I don't need to be spending more money, but I had to after seeing all the glowing reviews. They'll be here Friday and I'm very much looking forward to getting them.

There is really no escaping your addiction.
Just buy, enjoy, and dont worry about it.
If you don't love a new purchase, then sell it as "like new" and let the next addicted on this Forum, see what they think.
Or, you can just keep them all.
I have way way too many headphones.
I have way way too many guitars.
I only own 2 Camera's, but that is subject to change, at any time.

Just try to see things with new eyes, and if you have guilt about "spending so much"...then sell it all and wait for something that you didnt know was coming, and buy that one.
Also, it is possible to be satisfied with "one good set of headphones", but you have to get away from temptation to buy more......if you want to be happy with one good set, or 2.
Or, you could just be judicious and only buy really good used Headphones, which saves money, and if you dont like them, sell them.
You're never really stuck in life, unless you are unwilling to change or make an effort.
The best way to get out of a hole, is to stop digging.
Yet,
There really is not such a thing as too many headphones or too much money, when most retailers, will let you send them back.
If you are not in the States, then maybe its a different situation, YET< Amazon is worldwide, and you can return everything to Amazon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 18, 2019 at 3:48 PM Post #255 of 709
So far I'm in the keep them all zone.

I don't let my spending get out of control or in the way of me paying bills and taking care of what I need to. Like you said when it comes to addictions I'll take this over the ones that can kill you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back