NEW Schiit Lyr 2: Impressions
Aug 17, 2016 at 2:09 AM Post #1,726 of 2,168
Thanx for your opinions.
I'm really happy with Audeze Sine, and if I would buy other headphones (in the far future because for now I have no budget for new headphones) I think I will go with other Audeze model.
So at the moment the best fit for me would be the Elekit TU-882...

About DAC: I would think a dedicated dac would be a better improvement over Fiio X5 II..

Aug 17, 2016 at 4:24 AM Post #1,727 of 2,168
Thanx for your opinions.
I'm really happy with Audeze Sine, and if I would buy other headphones (in the far future because for now I have no budget for new headphones) I think I will go with other Audeze model.
So at the moment the best fit for me would be the Elekit TU-882...

About DAC: I would think a dedicated dac would be a better improvement over Fiio X5 II..

If you can demo them first I would suggest doing that first, what sounds good to me may not sound good to you.  Best way to find out what I liked was to do blind A/B testing, that way I had no expectation bias.

Aug 17, 2016 at 10:36 AM Post #1,728 of 2,168
I was wondering if anyone tried this amp with the LISST and IEMS and how they found it? Any hiss/too much power? Looking for an all in one amp solution

Aug 19, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #1,729 of 2,168
I have the Lyr 2 and just ordered Modi MB a few days ago, I'll keep you guys posted. I've been using the 1st gen Apogee Duet as my DAC for years, this will be my my first stand-alone DAC. I've been skeptical of really meaningful differences between quality DAC-gadgets, but the Modi MB's reasonable pricing got me curious. I use LISSTs most of the time.

Aug 19, 2016 at 12:20 PM Post #1,730 of 2,168
I was wondering if anyone tried this amp with the LISST and IEMS and how they found it? Any hiss/too much power? Looking for an all in one amp solution

Just trying my Shozy Zeros @ low gain. There's some low humming starting when the volume is pushed to 2 o'clock and beyond, but I don't need to push them anywhere near those levels. 10 o'clock is quite loud. So no problems here.

Aug 21, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #1,732 of 2,168
My choice would be:

Fixed

I do not have a NFB so not sure about my next statement.

Gain and volume should not matter, no affect.  HP would be double amping for sure.  Variable, will let you decrease line out volume if fixed is overdriving the Lyr 2.

Just try stuff until you are happy :)

Just MHO,
r2

Ps;  Gain on Lyr should be matched to the needs of your HPs and you.

Aug 21, 2016 at 2:11 PM Post #1,733 of 2,168
Got a little tired of worrying about leaving my Lyr2 on so I picked up some LYSST tubes for non critical listening. Actually like them a lot.. They have a very fast punchy sound to them, great for rock music!..

Obligatory pic :D 

Sep 5, 2016 at 11:49 PM Post #1,734 of 2,168
Hey guys, 

I'm interested in the Lyr 2. I've had my eye on it for a while now.

Two questions:

- Is it worth getting over the Lyr 1? The original can be found for pretty cheap.

- Are the LISST flat response? 

Sep 6, 2016 at 12:01 AM Post #1,735 of 2,168
  Hey guys, 

I'm interested in the Lyr 2. I've had my eye on it for a while now.

Two questions:

- Is it worth getting over the Lyr 1? The original can be found for pretty cheap.

- Are the LISST flat response? 

Depends on the headphones you have, if you don't need the low gain then the Lyr1 can roll more tubes.

The LISST were like using my Asgard2, maybe a touch brighter to me

Sep 9, 2016 at 1:59 AM Post #1,736 of 2,168
Got a little tired of worrying about leaving my Lyr2 on so I picked up some LYSST tubes for non critical listening. Actually like them a lot.. They have a very fast punchy sound to them, great for rock music!..

Obligatory pic :D 

Really sweet looking.

I'm thinking about adding a pair of LISST to the mix for my LCD3s. Running Amperex PQs right now, but figure a snappier, more 'solid' option would be nice

Also most likely adding a Bifrost Multibit soon, so your pic is giving me a nice look to the future :L3000:

Sep 9, 2016 at 8:08 AM Post #1,738 of 2,168
Has Anyone compared it to HDVD800?

I have, driving the HiFiMAN HE1000 headphone....see post pointed to in my signature with title like "HE1000...5 amps."

The Schiit Lyr 2 did better on the HE1000 than the HDVD 800 (which also did quite well), perhaps because the HE 1000 has a 35 ohm (+/- 5) input impedance, while the HDVD800 has a 43 ohm output impedance, opti,owed for the 300 - 600 ohm input impedance of the Sennheiser HD 800 but not so great for lower impedances.

Sep 14, 2016 at 10:59 PM Post #1,739 of 2,168
I've had an original Lyr for approximately 5 years.  My main "go to" headphone with my Schiit Bifrost Uber and Lyr stack has been the LCD-2 rev1.  I do not use this headphone on any other setup, though I do use other headphones with this stack.  I have rolled a fair amount of tubes...Amerprex Orange Globes and PQs, Voskhod 6H23s, Reflector 6H23s, RCA  6BZ7s, and GE 6BZ7s.  Always felt that the LCD-2s were too bass heavy and somewhat fatiguing. Also, the soundstage was not as wide as I'd like or that I am at least familiar with my other listening setups.  I was seriously considering replacing the LCD-2s with a brighter headphone with a wider soundstage.

I just picked up a Lyr 2 and currently and using JJ 6922 Gold Pins.  On high gain, my initial impressions were that there was not a discernible difference between the Lyr and the Lyr 2.  At low gain however, the entire setup has taken on a completely new sound signature.  The low end is balanced.  The mids are smooth. The treble is not fatiguing.  And best of all the soundstage is incredibly wider..."out of my head" wider.  

There is no possible way that I am imagining this difference in sound signature as I can A-B test it with the gain switch and volume knob.  It seems the comments are all over the map on they thread, but has anyone else experienced this level of improvement with the Lyr 2?  Needless to say, I am ecstatic with my recent amp switch.  

Sep 14, 2016 at 11:35 PM Post #1,740 of 2,168
Well I just turned on Diana Krall Quiet Nights with Grado PS1000e on the same set-up (Bifrost Uber, Lyr2), hi-res file. First impressions are that the meds both focused and sweetened overall stage widened without losing focus - sweeter in subtle ways that do not roll off the highs or soften anything.  A little like putting the signal back in phase after realizing it had been mistakenly out. I'll leave it this way for a few days and then A-B it to see if this is a novelty reaction. Thanks for the impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back