NEW Schiit Lyr 2: Impressions
Jun 17, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #1,231 of 2,168
I have the combo paired with HE560. Let me just say that while bitfrost might enhance the sq, it won't make a night-and-day difference like an amp would. And even if you do notice a fair bit of improvement, you would more than likely get the same result using modi 2 for like 1/2 the price. (a friend has modi 2 uber and I'm speaking from my own comparison experience). If I were you, unless you need the versatility of bitfrost, I'd just get modi and use the rest of the money to invest in some nice NOS tubes for Lyr. Just my 2 cent.

Agree with you, I have both a Bifrost and Modi2 uber and there is very little difference.  I've since gotten a Teac UD-301 which sounds more alive than the Bifrost and has the bonus of having a decent built in headphone amp.

Jun 17, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #1,232 of 2,168
I have the combo paired with HE560. Let me just say that while bitfrost might enhance the sq, it won't make a night-and-day difference like an amp would. And even if you do notice a fair bit of improvement, you would more than likely get the same result using modi 2 for like 1/2 the price. (a friend has modi 2 uber and I'm speaking from my own comparison experience). If I were you, unless you need the versatility of bitfrost, I'd just get modi and use the rest of the money to invest in some nice NOS tubes for Lyr. Just my 2 cent.

Thank you so much for the info.  There is so much to consider and I guess that is what makes this fun.  LOL  Any idea on what the W5000 would sound like paired to the Lyr2

Jun 17, 2015 at 5:08 PM Post #1,233 of 2,168
  Thank you so much for the info.  There is so much to consider and I guess that is what makes this fun.  LOL  Any idea on what the W5000 would sound like paired to the Lyr2

Never had a chance to listen to W5000 but I will say that Lyr 2 made my HE-560 a little warmer from how it sounded with SS amps, which was exactly what I wanted. The tubes seem to add just a touch of warmth. That said, Lyr 2 deviates from "neutral" sound, IMO. It might sound too "tubey" for some people. 

Jun 19, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #1,234 of 2,168
Okay, so I just set up my lyr2... Project debut carbon>Schiit Mani phono pre>Lyr2>he560... It feels like the lyr is just struggling to power the cans, even in high gain mode. I mean it's not like it's barely putting out sound or anything, but it tops out at relaxed/quiet listening volume. Is it just a matter of needing a break-in? Or are the tubes junk?

Jun 19, 2015 at 8:59 PM Post #1,235 of 2,168
Okay, so I just set up my lyr2... Project debut carbon>Schiit Mani phono pre>Lyr2>he560... It feels like the lyr is just struggling to power the cans, even in high gain mode. I mean it's not like it's barely putting out sound or anything, but it tops out at relaxed/quite listening volume. Is it just a matter of needing a break-in? Or are the tubes junk?

I dont think its an issue of power considering the lyr 2 ouputs 4 watts at 50ohms for the he560. what setup are you comparing to?

Jun 19, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #1,237 of 2,168
Well my portable onkyo DAC-HA200 with an iPhone seems to drive my he560's harder...

I think you must have som setting needing adjustment. My Lyr can drive my HE-560 to ear damaging levels. Are your headphones plugged in all the way?

Jun 21, 2015 at 12:11 AM Post #1,238 of 2,168
Okay, so I just set up my lyr2... Project debut carbon>Schiit Mani phono pre>Lyr2>he560... It feels like the lyr is just struggling to power the cans, even in high gain mode. I mean it's not like it's barely putting out sound or anything, but it tops out at relaxed/quiet listening volume. Is it just a matter of needing a break-in? Or are the tubes junk?

I think there is something that is not right with your chain, I'm able to get great sound with the lineout from Fiio X3 to Lyr2 to HE-560.  Don't think its the tubes, even the stock ones are not bad.  You might want to contact Schiit and ask about your Lyr2 and Mani to make sure all are working correctly.
Good Luck

Jun 21, 2015 at 1:00 AM Post #1,239 of 2,168
I think there is something that is not right with your chain, I'm able to get great sound with the lineout from Fiio X3 to Lyr2 to HE-560.  Don't think its the tubes, even the stock ones are not bad.  You might want to contact Schiit and ask about your Lyr2 and Mani to make sure all are working correctly.
Good Luck
Yeah I needed to increase the gain on the mani, solved my volume problems.

Jun 21, 2015 at 7:52 PM Post #1,241 of 2,168
As a new Lyr 2 owner, I am also new to tube amps. 

There is something amazingly comforting in turning on my Lyr 2 and watching the orange glow gently come to life.  More than anything, it reminds me of building a fire in the fireplace, again giving a warm comforting glow to my surroundings.

Oh, and it sounds GREAT... so great that, well, I bought the Lyr 2 in hopes of it being the best amp for the newly-developed HiFiMAN HE1000.  When I got it, I tested it against the HiFiMAN EF-6 amp on the HE1000s and.,... well... it wasn't.  The EF-6 did better.

I got a return authorization from Schiit, but then remembered that one of the reasons I got it was that it was said to be great with Grado headphones.  It would be a shame to return it without even trying it for the second reason that I got it.

I hooked it up to my top-of -the-line Grado PS1000s, and I immediately loved it!  This is despite the fact that I have the HPA1 solid state amp of Joseph Grado Signature Products, the amp that J. Grado himself asked Sidney Stockton Smith of Marantz to design for his headphones.

So I marched myself to my computer, wrote a note to the kind Schiit employee that had sent me the return authorization, and said not only was I keeping it, I was also buying the Schiit Bifrost Uber USB2 DAC to keep it company, just for my Grados.

And I did.

Jun 23, 2015 at 9:16 PM Post #1,242 of 2,168
My new Lyr2 came in today, as did the Telefunken tubes from Upscale Audio. I've never had a tube amp but this thread and my respect for Schiit as a company decided me to give it a try, and I might as well get some great tubes since I would end up there eventually and just getting them now would actually save me money not spent on cheaper tubes. I rehearsed that one in case I needed it. 
biggrin.gif

I was installing the tubes and hooking things up when my wife came down to chat. She was looking at her phone when I got everything hooked up and turned on, and she was sitting in my chair which is in the perfect listening spot for my speakers, so I selected a song I knew she liked (Lee Ritenour - Township for those who care) from the playlist, started it up and adjusted the volume to a respectable level.

It took maybe 10 seconds for my wife to look up from her phone (and she's no audiophile) and listen for a few seconds. Her first comment was "The separation!" I was standing behind her and was blown away by the same thing. The instruments were very clearly in their own spots on stage and the sound was wiiiiiide and glorious. Next up was The Beatles - Penny Lane. Her comment? "This even makes the Beatles sound good!" Ok, so she's not perfect but she's a keeper. 
tongue.gif

I clicked on Maroon 5 - Hands All Over and I thought she was going to dance out of the chair.

This was fresh out of the box, not warmed up, unused tubes, and it sounded so good.

We listened for a few more songs before going upstairs for dinner. I left the amp on for the tubes to stay warm.

After dinner I brought my Alpha Primes down with me and I can't listen to songs fast enough. At the moment Heart - Barracuda is rocking my ears off. Infected Mushroom, B.B. King, Filter, Dream Theater, everything I've tried is so HUGE across the sound stage. I was using an Asgard 2 which is a nice amp, but the Lyr and the Telefunkens are freaking awesome. I stupidly left my HE-560s at work but I'll bring them home tomorrow for a listen.

This is what this hobby is all about. Wow, Infected Mushroom - Legend of the Black Shawarma sounds good. I can't listen fast enough. Now Eric Clapton - Blues Before Sunrise. I'll be here awhile.

Many thanks to everyone who has left their impressions and advice here about this amp and various tubes for it. I'm sure enjoying them. Holy crap, INXS sounds fantastic!

Jun 26, 2015 at 11:10 PM Post #1,243 of 2,168
  My new Lyr2 came in today, as did the Telefunken tubes from Upscale Audio. I've never had a tube amp but this thread and my respect for Schiit as a company decided me to give it a try, and I might as well get some great tubes since I would end up there eventually and just getting them now would actually save me money not spent on cheaper tubes. I rehearsed that one in case I needed it. 
biggrin.gif

I was installing the tubes and hooking things up when my wife came down to chat. She was looking at her phone when I got everything hooked up and turned on, and she was sitting in my chair which is in the perfect listening spot for my speakers, so I selected a song I knew she liked (Lee Ritenour - Township for those who care) from the playlist, started it up and adjusted the volume to a respectable level.

It took maybe 10 seconds for my wife to look up from her phone (and she's no audiophile) and listen for a few seconds. Her first comment was "The separation!" I was standing behind her and was blown away by the same thing. The instruments were very clearly in their own spots on stage and the sound was wiiiiiide and glorious. Next up was The Beatles - Penny Lane. Her comment? "This even makes the Beatles sound good!" Ok, so she's not perfect but she's a keeper. 
tongue.gif

I clicked on Maroon 5 - Hands All Over and I thought she was going to dance out of the chair.

This was fresh out of the box, not warmed up, unused tubes, and it sounded so good.

We listened for a few more songs before going upstairs for dinner. I left the amp on for the tubes to stay warm.

After dinner I brought my Alpha Primes down with me and I can't listen to songs fast enough. At the moment Heart - Barracuda is rocking my ears off. Infected Mushroom, B.B. King, Filter, Dream Theater, everything I've tried is so HUGE across the sound stage. I was using an Asgard 2 which is a nice amp, but the Lyr and the Telefunkens are freaking awesome. I stupidly left my HE-560s at work but I'll bring them home tomorrow for a listen.

This is what this hobby is all about. Wow, Infected Mushroom - Legend of the Black Shawarma sounds good. I can't listen fast enough. Now Eric Clapton - Blues Before Sunrise. I'll be here awhile.

Many thanks to everyone who has left their impressions and advice here about this amp and various tubes for it. I'm sure enjoying them. Holy crap, INXS sounds fantastic!

Glad you are enjoying it! It is really nice with the HE-560's! Are you using it as a pre-amp then?

Jun 27, 2015 at 12:01 AM Post #1,244 of 2,168
Yes, both as a pre-amp and headphone amp. Each way sounds great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back