NEW Schiit Lyr 2: Impressions
Feb 19, 2015 at 9:40 AM Post #736 of 2,168
I'm currently using a pair of 75 6n23p SWPG-Silver Russian holy grails. To put it in perspective, stock was like listening to music in a tin can with a small window of music in front of my face. The 75's give me the sense of a 6 foot globe of music surrounding my head, with some notes and sounds extending much further. The 3d , holographic , liquid flow and precise imaging of these tubes is simply sublime. But it's all subjective. YMMV. I'd recommend them to anyone rolling tubes.

Great description buddy! I just passed the 55 hours mark on my HGs and preparing for the 'grand slam' this weekend. I am all geeked up man :xf_eek:

Feb 19, 2015 at 9:45 AM Post #738 of 2,168
@Guidostrunk, I am still waiting ....impatiently may I add...... for the pics of your 'jujitsu', industructable, bullet proof, sledge hammer, fist fight companion, and 007 tube bag. Any progress on that? Did you get it? :wink:

Feb 19, 2015 at 9:50 AM Post #739 of 2,168
Thanks man. I'm somewhere past a 100. Not sure how far though. Lol. Definitely more open than the 50 hour mark. The soundstage imo has doubled in size. They seem to get more "buttery" the more I burn them. If that analogy makes any sense. Lol.

Great job on your thread man. That's going to help so many with the lyr2.
Great description buddy! I just passed the 55 hours mark on my HGs and preparing for the 'grand slam' this weekend. I am all geeked up man :xf_eek:

Feb 19, 2015 at 9:52 AM Post #740 of 2,168
Lol. It's at my office still sitting in the packaging. Haven't left the house in days because of the frigid temps. I plan on messing with it this weekend. Will post some pics :wink:
@Guidostrunk, I am still waiting ....impatiently may I add...... for the pics of your 'jujitsu', industructable, bullet proof, sledge hammer, fist fight companion, and 007 tube bag. Any progress on that? Did you get it? :wink:

Feb 19, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #741 of 2,168
Thanks man. I'm somewhere past a 100. Not sure how far though. Lol. Definitely more open than the 50 hour mark. The soundstage imo has doubled in size. They seem to get more "buttery" the more I burn them. If that analogy makes any sense. Lol.

Great job on your thread man. That's going to help so many with the lyr2.

Thanks man. I think it's the least I can do after learning so much from these guys on the thread. Like you, I feel we would have been stuck with crappy sound with the stock tubes and be at a total loss without the help of the veterans on the thread. Learned A lot in the process and have become really critical and Leary of super priced tubes.

Have you seen some of the top end teles, they go for $500 per tube :eek:
That's a friggin 1000 bucks for the pair...insane.

Have fun rolling buddy.

Feb 19, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #742 of 2,168
Yeah bro. Those prices are absolutely insane. Lol.
Thanks man. I think it's the least I can do after learning so much from these guys on the thread. Like you, I feel we would have been stuck with crappy sound with the stock tubes and be at a total loss without the help of the veterans on the thread. Learned A lot in the process and have become really critical and Leary of super priced tubes.

Have you seen some of the top end teles, they go for $500 per tube :eek:

Have fun rolling buddy.

Feb 19, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #743 of 2,168

Have you seen some of the top end teles, they go for $500 per tube
eek.gif

Have fun rolling buddy.

Let me make a small correction. The stock tubes on the Lyr2 are not crappy. Many people are quite happy with the sound from the stock tubes. Do you really think Schiit would risk their reputation buy putting out a sub-par product.

Tubes in an amp are like tires on a car. Many people are very happy with the original tires that come as standard equipment. However there are those that would like to try different tires to improve their perceived performance. Neither person is right or wrong in their decision.

Feb 19, 2015 at 10:48 AM Post #744 of 2,168
Correct. It's all in the ears of individual people. My ears told me the stock tubes were the donut tire in the trunk, as opposed to the all terrain wranglers I'm currently riding on. Lol. It's all subjective in the end.
Let me make a small correction. The stock tubes on the Lyr2 are not crappy. Many people are quite happy with the sound from the stock tubes. Do you really think Schiit would risk their reputation buy putting out a sub-par product.

Tubes in an amp are like tires on a car. Many people are very happy with the original tires that come as standard equipment. However there are those that would like to try different tires to improve their perceived performance. Neither person is right or wrong in their decision.

Feb 19, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #745 of 2,168

Fair enough. I stand corrected sir :)

Feb 19, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #746 of 2,168
  Oh no, a schiity noob question;

Is the Lyr 2, being a hybrid tube amp, suitable for fast-paced music such as electronica (read: a lot of drums, and bass melodies),
or would a SS amp, such as Asgaard 2, cope better with such faster music?

If not, could tube rolling resolve this?

I use my Lyr 2 for all kinds of music, including "fast paced electronica".  I don't see how this amp can be incompatible or unsuitable with certain genres of music.  

Feb 20, 2015 at 11:12 AM Post #750 of 2,168
Is there anyone having both lyr 2 and project ember care to share comparison in terms of sq only? Particularly im driving around hd800, hd650, h600, lcd 2.

Thanks.

I'm also curious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back