NEW Schiit Lyr 2: Impressions
Aug 20, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #151 of 2,168
Using my stock tube Lyr2 with Modi. When on the HE-500 with hi gain there is a noticeable background/static noise when theres no sound playing. Anybody else have this problem with theirs? or did I get a defective product (which I doubt). I also find stock tubes to be a bit lacking in the bass, mids are great but bass and treble not so much.

Also, the knob gets HOT. I don't mind that the rest of the metal body get hot but sometime when I have to adjust the volume it would freaking burn my finger if I touch it for more than 1 second.

Is it only in one channel, are your tubes set tightly in place? If only in one channel, switch the tubes and see if the noise moves with the tube. Check all of your connections.....it is not normal, but Schiit is really good about testing and burning in their units before shipping. Also, you can contact Nick, tech@schiit.com. Best of luck, you will love it with your 500's!

Aug 20, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #152 of 2,168
  Using my stock tube Lyr2 with Modi. When on the HE-500 with hi gain there is a noticeable background/static noise when theres no sound playing. Anybody else have this problem with theirs? or did I get a defective product (which I doubt). I also find stock tubes to be a bit lacking in the bass, mids are great but bass and treble not so much.

Also, the knob gets HOT. I don't mind that the rest of the metal body get hot but sometime when I have to adjust the volume it would freaking burn my finger if I touch it for more than 1 second.

Using Pandora Hope VI (8 ohm impedance) I also can hear hissing background/static noise on high gain which I won't use high gain anyway with this sensitive headphone.

As heat problem same here, currently I'm using mini fan to lower the temp a bit.

Aug 20, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #153 of 2,168
^ Class A Amps run very hot, that is normal, it doesn't hurt anything, just make sure the Amp is well ventilated.

Aug 20, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #155 of 2,168
Is it only in one channel, are your tubes set tightly in place? If only in one channel, switch the tubes and see if the noise moves with the tube. Check all of your connections.....it is not normal, but Schiit is really good about testing and burning in their units before shipping. Also, you can contact Nick, tech@schiit.com. Best of luck, you will love it with your 500's!

no its on both channels, the tubes are all the way in and sitting at the lowest possible point. I didn't notice the noise when using my beyerdynamics COP on low gain.

Aug 20, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #156 of 2,168

Try disconnecting the Modi as you may be getting noise passed through from your computer. If you are still hearing the noise then I would try removing and reseating the tubes. If that doesn't work I would contact Schiit.  As to the know it will be quite warm. Check to see that it has not been pushed all the way in by using a small hex wrench. By making sure it is not touching the inner nut there is less thermal transfer.

Aug 20, 2014 at 3:00 PM Post #157 of 2,168
It sucks not living in the US. I ordered my Schiit 2 weeks ago and I think my Lyr is stuck at customs, they will probably take 500-600$ because there's tubes in it or somethin' silly like this.. ):

anyway.. Anyone here got the Lye and the Beyer T1 together? how do they match? I'm thinking about getting the HE560 or HE500 in the future as well.

Aug 21, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #158 of 2,168
I just got the Schiit Lyr 2 today in the mail, haven't done that much listening yet but impressions are great so far, seems the K712 and the DT 150 sound the best on the amp by a decent margin so far, can't wait for the tubes to burn in. A couple pictures, cable nightmare behind the amp I know, just moved into my college dorm this week.

Aug 22, 2014 at 8:46 AM Post #159 of 2,168
Sold my original Lyr in favour of the Crack I've built. I'm somewhat missing my Lyr - kept the Siemens Cca pair for it in fact. Could not give those up because IMHO they release what is the pinnacle capability of that amp in terms of holographic soundstage - which is what headphones are for, yes/no? :)

I'm wondering if the topology changes in the Lyr2 are sufficient enough to explore it again - say vs my tricked out crack. Most crack owners who had the Lyr never look back, but it had some good points. 

Aug 22, 2014 at 8:51 AM Post #160 of 2,168
  It sucks not living in the US. I ordered my Schiit 2 weeks ago and I think my Lyr is stuck at customs, they will probably take 500-600$ because there's tubes in it or somethin' silly like this.. ):

anyway.. Anyone here got the Lye and the Beyer T1 together? how do they match? I'm thinking about getting the HE560 or HE500 in the future as well.

If you are in Canada there are distributors.

And the HD800 is a good match with the Lyr. 
biggrin.gif

Aug 22, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #161 of 2,168
Having seen a lot of people who likes to roll the tubes of their headphone amps, I was guessing if these amps are able to accept different tubes without any problem (i.e thay have a circuit that can automatically regulate the bias for the new valves), or if the tube rolling hobby is going to modify in an unexpected and unpredictable way the working parameters of the amp.

Maybe Jason Stoddard could give me his important opinion on this.

:)

Aug 22, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #162 of 2,168
I am not sure I see your question. Schiit provides a list of the the types that you can roll that are in the range of the amp's electrical specs. What additional info are you looking for?

Aug 22, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #163 of 2,168
Sold my original Lyr in favour of the Crack I've built. I'm somewhat missing my Lyr - kept the Siemens Cca pair for it in fact. Could not give those up because IMHO they release what is the pinnacle capability of that amp in terms of holographic soundstage - which is what headphones are for, yes/no? :)

I'm wondering if the topology changes in the Lyr2 are sufficient enough to explore it again - say vs my tricked out crack. Most crack owners who had the Lyr never look back, but it had some good points. 

You really need to borrow a Lyr 2 if possible, compared to my original Valhalla and the Lyr 1's I tried it is very quiet, has a better soundstage, and those great tubes of your shine through even more.

Aug 22, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #164 of 2,168
Anyone here got the Lye and the Beyer T1 together? how do they match?

I own Lyr and Valhalla (both first generation) amps. The Lyr works pretty well with the Beyerdynamic T1, but for this headphone I prefer the Valhalla.

Werner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back