NEW Schiit Lyr 2: Impressions
Mar 2, 2017 at 3:02 AM Post #1,936 of 2,168
Sooo I'm quite certain there's just something not right with the Lyr 2 I got last week. I can't get over how awful the detail is in thr upper frequencies. Even with the LISST tubes that people find too bright/ dry just just sound mushy and slow compared to my original Lyr. I just messaged Schiit and idk what the math I'm gonna do if if have to send my amp in... *sigh*
This kind of Schiit only happens to me.

Mar 2, 2017 at 7:42 AM Post #1,937 of 2,168
Sooo I'm quite certain there's just something not right with the Lyr 2 I got last week. I can't get over how awful the detail is in thr upper frequencies. Even with the LISST tubes that people find too bright/ dry just just sound mushy and slow compared to my original Lyr. I just messaged Schiit and idk what the math I'm gonna do if if have to send my amp in... *sigh*

What a pain. My Lyr 2 arrived a couple weeks before yours, and I don't have those symptoms at all. So it does sound like something is defective in your unit.

I'm sure Schiit will take care of you though, they have a good rep for customer service.

Mar 2, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #1,938 of 2,168

What a pain. My Lyr 2 arrived a couple weeks before yours, and I don't have those symptoms at all. So it does sound like something is defective in your unit.

I'm sure Schiit will take care of you though, they have a good rep for customer service.

Thanks. Yeah, I'm talking to Nick T right now and he's trying see if we can figure it out.

Mar 3, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #1,939 of 2,168
OK I finally ordered a Lyr 2, I don't know when will it will arrive. Probably next Friday or in more than a week.

Now I'd like to know which tubes are good for AKGs K701 and if there's a cheap option in eBay that is better than the stock Lyr 2 tubes. I'll take a look at the tube rolling thread. 

Mar 3, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #1,940 of 2,168
  OK I finally ordered a Lyr 2, I don't know when will it will arrive. Probably next Friday or in more than a week.

Great !...did you order from the Dutch Schiit dealer ? They were good with my delivery...took 2 days to reach me in France from the date they shipped it..

Mar 5, 2017 at 3:21 AM Post #1,941 of 2,168
  Great !...did you order from the Dutch Schiit dealer ? They were good with my delivery...took 2 days to reach me in France from the date they shipped it..

Yes!
The Lyr 2 has an excellent price (compared to Schiit.com price + FedEx shipping + Custom Taxes).

Also got a "pyst" (RCA cables) and a "Sys" (passive preamp 2 inputs, 1 output), so they can use my monitors when the Lyr is Off or when I'm not at home etc. And since it has 2 inputs, maybe I connect the sys with 2 options to the monitors ("Lyr 2's pre amp or Momby". I'm using an RCA splitter in the Momby).

There are no problems connecting the Lyr 2 with the monitors 24/7 right?
I had very bad luck with my Fulla 2, after 1 hour of usage, one of the monitors, using the pre-amp output, made an audio explosion and just the audio stopped working (this happened while I was using the headphones, so monitors were in standby). I mean this is pure bad luck and the monitor decided to fail in a bad moment. But I also don't discard the "unreal" option that the Fulla sent "amped" signal through the monitor pre-amp output. Anyway..this experience made me more paranoid with this.   

So far the Schiit I've bought (off topic):
- The Modi Multibit from Schiit.com (because the Dutch dealer had no stock last year, December), had to pay a bit more (like 40€ more in total) but got it in 2 days instead of weeks because of the no stock. 

- A Fulla 2 from the UK dealer. After several days without stock, one mysterious Fulla 2 unit appeared in the site (January) and I bought it, unfortunately, this was some of the units from the 1st batch with an issue that can't handle the 2 USB inputs at the same time (1 for power only, 1 for data without getting power) at the same time. (So, there is a chance they sent me a unit that someone had returned). I kept it because for 95% of the time I'll use it with my laptop. 

- And now I'm going to try this Dutch dealer. I hope I get a good Lyr 2 unit (Since I've read that some people had issues with some Lyr 2 units with big background noise, not from this dealer, probably from very old posts in this topic).

Mar 5, 2017 at 3:33 AM Post #1,942 of 2,168

- And now I'm going to try this Dutch dealer. I hope I get a good Lyr 2 unit (Since I've read that some people had issues with some Lyr 2 units in the past, probably from old posts in this topic).

I haven't experienced any problems...had the LYR 2 for 3 weeks now. I don't use monitors, so I can't comment on that route....just headphones in my set up.Personally, I don't leave the LYR 2 switched on 24/7, ...just to save tube life. I understand they would last about 200 days if left on... Although, it takes a little while to warm up to get the best out of it. Bad luck indeed with your Fulla 2 !...I guess schiit happens !

Mar 5, 2017 at 3:37 AM Post #1,943 of 2,168
  I haven't experienced any problems...had the LYR 2 for 3 weeks now. I don't use monitors, so I can't comment on that route....just headphones in my set up.Personally, I don't leave the LYR 2 switched on 24/7, ...just to save tube life. I understand they would last about 200 days if left on... Although, it takes a little while to warm up to get the best out of it. Bad luck indeed with your Fulla 2 !...I guess schiit happens !

Yes. That's why I got a Lyr 2 and a Sys. I'm planning to use the Lyr 2 more with the headphones than the Monitors. 
Monitors are amazing just with the Momby, I only need a "Sys" to "cut" the signal they receive (and go into standby mode) when I'm using the Lyr+headphones.

Mar 5, 2017 at 4:16 AM Post #1,944 of 2,168
  ...when I'm using the Lyr+headphones.

I'm not familiar with your AKG701 phones...once you've listened for a while, you may want to try some different tubes to get the sound you want. That's the beauty of the LYR 2 (and other Schiit amps)....flexibility !

Mar 9, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #1,945 of 2,168
Hey Lyr2 owners,
I have a Lyr-1 which I have had for a long time now. Still working great. But, I'm considering upgrading to the Lyr-2. Is there anyone here that has upgraded from the Lyr1 to the Lyr2? Not sure if it would really be worth it. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Mar 9, 2017 at 4:01 PM Post #1,946 of 2,168
Hey Lyr2 owners,
I have a Lyr-1 which I have had for a long time now. Still working great. But, I'm considering upgrading to the Lyr-2. Is there anyone here that has upgraded from the Lyr1 to the Lyr2? Not sure if it would really be worth it. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Give @Starburp701 a pm. He did just that recently.

Mar 9, 2017 at 4:02 PM Post #1,947 of 2,168
Hey Lyr2 owners,
I have a Lyr-1 which I have had for a long time now. Still working great. But, I'm considering upgrading to the Lyr-2. Is there anyone here that has upgraded from the Lyr1 to the Lyr2? Not sure if it would really be worth it. Any suggestions would be appreciated. ThanksI

I can't comment on the difference in SQ, but in my research IIRC, there may be fewer tube rolling options available...but I don't know to what extent. Probably there are still more than enough options to play with....for me, anyway. 

Mar 9, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #1,948 of 2,168
Hey Lyr2 owners,

I just did last week. In all honesty, I WOULDN'T if...

1. You're only running current hungry Planars or high impedence cans and don't plan on using IEM's.

2. You don't care to switch between pre-amp desktop speakers and headphones.

3. There's nothing wrong with your current Lyr.

If I could go back I would just have kept my old Lyr but I'm not regretting it. The Lyr 2 is a bit more laid back and fatigueless with my LCD-2's but I personally feel as though tube rolling has less of an impact. Maybe my favorite tubes just sound different in the Lyr 2 and i need to adjust but it's almost like they have a lighter impact on the overall sound signature. Overall, still a great amp. You can't go wrong either way.

Mar 9, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #1,949 of 2,168
Hey Lyr2 owners,

I have both.  I keep the Lyr to use with 6SN7 tubes.

The Lyr allows tubes with up to 600mA heater draw the Lyr 2 is capped at 300mA draw.  Thus, the Lyr does have the ability to "roll" more tube types.

I find the Lyr 2 to be a more refined amp.  I think @Starburp701 described the SQ differences recently and I mostly agreeded with him.

So, they are different, especially with the varying tubes.  Which one is better?  Loaded question.  I like them both.  If you are just looking for a change, get the adapters and try some 6SN7 tubes.

JMTC & IMHO,
r2

Mar 9, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #1,950 of 2,168
Hey Lyr2 owners,

Honestly, I'm not sure why you would bother. Don't get me wrong, the Lyr 2 is a wonderful amp and I'll probably never get rid of mine. That said, if I owned a Lyr 1 already I'd be in no rush to upgrade. It's easy to let the upgrade-itis take hold when companies start releasing updated versions of their product and slapping 2's and 3's on the end of the name.

Was there something about the Lyr 1 that made you consider replacing it with something else? If so, the Lyr 2 will be similar enough that you should look elsewhere. If not, then you're looking at swapping out just for the sake of swapping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back