NEW Schiit Lyr 2: Impressions
Mar 10, 2017 at 7:35 AM Post #1,967 of 2,168
  @thesebastian, remember that most volume knobs don't increase volume at a linear rate so the if you have the knob at 12 (half way) it does not mean that you are using 50% of the power

I see! good to know then 

Thanks

Mar 11, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #1,968 of 2,168

... and so the madness begins. Modest beginning but you gotta start somewhere :)

Mar 12, 2017 at 2:04 PM Post #1,969 of 2,168
Just leaving a comment, regarding Lyr 2 as Pre-Amp. (I bought the Lyr 2 mainly to be used as Headphone amp, but since I use a lot my monitors, I'm also using it as tube Pre-amp).

To be honest, I can't really appreciate a difference between [Mimby -> Stock Canadian Tubes] and [Mimby] and I'm using just the SYS's button to switch the inputs. (tested this using some chill-out music, a constant sound would be better) The reasons could be:

- My hearing (I hope is not this LoL).
- Stock Canadians tubes and Mimby have the same sound.
- (Just imagination) maybe I have a mess of cables and some circular signal between all the cables? (I do notice different volume level, but Lyr at 12:30 has the same gain as Mimby alone.
- Or maybe my monitors can't reproduce the difference? 

I'm currently splitting the signal from Mimby with an RCA splitter to the Lyr 2 and the SYS input 1. Then the Lyr 2 also outputs to the SYS input 2. And SYS outputs to the monitors, photo:

Anyway, I'm waiting for some tubes ([color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]Hewlett-Packard ECC88) and some Russians Voskhod in the next weeks, so I can try this better![/color]

Mar 12, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #1,970 of 2,168
Tubes make a difference with my powered monitors. I had been burning in my Yggdrasil for 300+ hours so I was using the LISST solid state "tubes". I got used to the sound and I thought it sounded good. Well, I just got some of the 1975 Reflektor 6N23P SWGP Silver Shields tubes from kolkoo and put them in my Lyr 2. Wow, what a difference.

Mar 12, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #1,971 of 2,168
  Tubes make a difference with my powered monitors. I had been burning in my Yggdrasil for 300+ hours so I was using the LISST solid state "tubes". I got used to the sound and I thought it sounded good. Well, I just got some of the 1975 Reflektor 6N23P SWGP Silver Shields tubes from kolkoo and put them in my Lyr 2. Wow, what a difference.

Yeah I can't wait for some tubes to try better this. I originally noticed a good difference between my monitors using the old preamp (Fulla 2 as PreAmp Not as DAC, was using it for the headphones) and now the Lyr 2.
But when I put the SYS to be able to fast-switch, I can't hear a difference. So I need to wait for more tubes. 

Mar 12, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #1,972 of 2,168
@thesebastian, i use the SYS in reverse, 2 in and one out to switch between different DACs (Bimby and UD-301) and like you have some RCA splitters to go to 3 amps.  Here is an old picture but with only one of the "SYS" in place, the other was moved to my bedroom.

The SYS is located between the Ember and and the stack of UD-301 and Bimby.

Mar 12, 2017 at 4:12 PM Post #1,973 of 2,168
@DavidA

Sys in reverse! I got that idea last week (wasn't sure whether it was possible, so it's good to know you can reverse the sys with 2 outputs and 1 input). For now I'll still use it as normal. (To save Tube Life and energy when I'm not at home and my gf use the PC).

(Amazing hardware you have there!)
-------------------

BTW,

- In Hi Gain I noticed (and it was really hard to notice) that there's a very low background noise that only happens from 10:00 to 02:00. At 3:00 or more I can't listen it in HighGain). This low background noise is not present at all in Low gain (as the Manual says). (But is weird that is also not present in Hi after 3:00). Anyway is very quiet. 
So now I've switched default Lyr 2 output from HiGain 12:00 to LowGain 3:15 (same volume but with Low gain) assuming there is no lose in quality (Low vs Hi gain)

- Lyr 2 tames much much better the exaggerated sibilance I was hearing with the Fulla 2, specially in dialogues (like games: Witcher 3 or DeusEx). AKG K701 is strong in the highs though. Probably this is one of the reasons I find the HPs easier to listen in higher volumes. 

Mar 15, 2017 at 7:04 PM Post #1,974 of 2,168
Guys, I only have some AKGs K701 (I got them for 120-140€ in Amazon and basically started with this 3 months ago). Now that I have a good amp (the Lyr 2) I'm interested in getting some alternative headphones. I'd like to have 2 different kind of headphones (so I don't want to replace the K701s, I'd like something different). Also, I'm not planning in having 3 kind of headphones (at least for now, I think 2 desktop headphones are too much).  

Considering this. Is there something to recommend with a cost equal or lower than 300€? So far I was having in mind the HD650s. But maybe I should go for some headphones that are much harder to drive and push more this amp? 

Thanks!

Mar 15, 2017 at 8:14 PM Post #1,975 of 2,168
Guys, I only have some AKGs K701 (I got them for 120-140€ in Amazon and basically started with this 3 months ago). Now that I have a good amp (the Lyr 2) I'm interested in getting some alternative headphones. I'd like to have 2 different kind of headphones (so I don't want to replace the K701s, I'd like something different). Also, I'm not planning in having 3 kind of headphones (at least for now, I think 2 desktop headphones are too much).  

Considering this. Is there something to recommend with a cost equal or lower than 300€? So far I was having in mind the HD650s. But maybe I should go for some headphones that are much harder to drive and push more this amp? 

Thanks!

Without a doubt I would go for Hifiman HE400i's. They are around $250 USD. Coming from AKG Q701's and then HE 400i's, it felt like I was missing out on so much. The AKG's were great when I hadn't experienced anything better but now they lack dynamics and sound thin and anemic. I have LCD 2's now but I would say the HE-400i are the best headphone for that price range and you have an amp that can make them sing. If you do decide to buy, I would go with Amazon for their 1 month return policy so you don't have to fret over "making the wrong choice" anxiety.:blush:

Mar 15, 2017 at 8:16 PM Post #1,976 of 2,168

Thanks!

I have a pair of Hifiman 400i's that would seem to meet your criteria. I like the sound a lot so far, very smooth and un-fatiguing, and I paid only about $250 US for them new. And they certainly make good use of the Lyr 2's abundant power.

Mar 16, 2017 at 5:18 AM Post #1,977 of 2,168

Thanks!

I have both the HD650 and HE400i and they both sound good on the Lyr2 but I think the HD700 might be another consideration but its a little above your budget but with the Lyr2 its a better all around headphone that the HD650 and HE400i IMO.  But you also need to consider the genre of music that you listen to since this would change the headphone that I would recommend to you since they all do some genres better than others.  One other headphone you might want to consider is the K7XX, its different from the K701, closer to the HD650 in sound signature.  If you like a lot of bass then look into a TH-X00.

Mar 16, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #1,978 of 2,168
Thank you all!

Well, right now I'm using the AKG K701's for everything:
- Rock (mainly from the 70's to the 90's). and a lot of Joe Satriani ( electric guitar music).  
- Chillout
- Classic
- Metal
- Pop
- Games

They are perfect for acoustic songs, classical music. And I think they are also good for chillout music and some electronic music that have HF sounds and a some bass as well (Example1 Example2 Example3) . The Bass quality is good, not strong, but defined.

But, to summarize, 40% of the time I'm listening old Rock. 40% of the time I'm listening modern music (chillout, daft punk, and things like this), 10% classical.  

So, I think they are very good at everything I listen, but the Rock. (I still have to test them with new tubes, like the 2 pair I'm waiting to arrive).

I'll have to resign to the HE-400i since in Europe they are much more expensive (500€) than the HD650 (300€~).

I'm not really a fan of the high bass. It's just that, I think the AKG K701 are more analytic HPs and maybe I was needing some other pair for Rock and old music. (I heard that you can throw anything at the HD650s without a problem and I really liked this).

So maybe the idea would be, leaving the AKGs for acoustic, classical and calm music, maybe quiet electronic as well. And a new pair of headphones  for rock, pop, and more aggressive music. 

Anyway, thanks all. I got some good samples to move forward: HE-400i, HD650 and HD700s. Maybe I could find some used headphones within my budget. I don't want more AKGs (for the next 2 years at least) and I don't want to mod the bass of my K701s because I think they are the perfect asset for some kind of music like classical and vocals. I don't deny I'm tempted to try it (to half-implement the AKG bass mod and see the results) since it could make the K701s more balanced. 

Mar 16, 2017 at 10:48 PM Post #1,979 of 2,168
@thesebastian

, since you are in Europe you might want to see about building a Nhoord or Ypsilon (both drivers made in Europe), its like a Grado clone but they have a much better balanced FR over a Grado.  They are not difficult to build and they seem to be easy to sell if you don't like the sound.  This is a picture of the last one I built using a Nhoord Red V2 driver:

These are about the best for rock/classic rock, and they are easy to drive so you can use them with a DAP or phone and they will still sound quite good.  Be aware that its not the cheapest to build, the parts for the one above is $328 and for me it takes about 1.5 months to get all the parts to Hawaii.  You can also look in my profile to see more picture of others that I've built.

Mar 18, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #1,980 of 2,168
@DavidA

Interesting! I can see myself wearing a pair of those in a future. I've researched a bit and the drivers cost like 70€ (Nhoord) and less than 120 pounds the other one. 
In the meantime, I've just done the AKG Bass mod 10 min ago... I'll try the K701s with this mod for a week or so, and maybe I could solve my problem just with this mod, let's see!

BTW...Yesterday I got my first part of tubes, 2 Reflektors. They are nice ! (2 voskhods and 2 Hewlett packard should arrive next week). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back