New Member Introductions thread
Sep 12, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #4,111 of 15,538
New member from CT, USA. I have some questions about headphone amps.

1) I use headphones (Audio Technica ATH-900, possibly upgrading to BeyerDynamic T90s) at night to watch movies, t.v., game and listen to music. Mostly in the same room.

Game/movies (blu-rays): PS4
Music: Philips DVP3140
T.V. through the cable box.

All comes through the receiver. Onkyo TX-SR605.

Can I get a headphone amp that would cover all of these inputs? If so, I'm unclear how it connects... to the headphone jack of the receiver?

2) Most amps that I have researched look like they are marketed for use with computers. Unclear why that is/if I am looking at the right products.

I am considering something like this:

https://www.jdslabs.com/products/48/objective2-odac-combo-revb/

I'm considering the DAC element because I do have some audible hiss, etc. coming from the receiver.

If you have suggestions for other amps, or amp+dac combos around this price range, I'd love to hear. Not very interested in DIY.

Thanks! Excited to learn from this community.

Howdy furtherbum,

The reason you are seeing "headphone amps" that are used with computers is because those units also include a DAC, which takes the digital audio stream from a computer and converts it to analog to be amplified and played through your headphones. They can often be used as "just an amp" if you supply an analog signal via RCA or phone plugs.

I don't have any experience with high-end audio equipment, but I have been using a Sound Blaster E5 with Sennheiser HD650 headphones and Noble Audio 3U IEMs and I have been blown away by how amazing music (and 3D gaming on my PC) can sound. The E5 is also a DAC/amp combo, but I think you will need a DAC if you want to listen to audio from the PS4 (unless it has a phone plug on the controllers for use with a headset?). The E5 can take a digital optical input or connect to the PS4 via bluetooth. You can also use it as an amp using the 3.5mm stereo phone jack. I would suggest looking into the reviews for it on this website.

An amp alone is only useful if all the devices you wish to use your headphones with have analog outputs (or you already have a separate DAC to use with digital sources).

That said, I would imagine that the receiver could drive those headphones through its 1/4" phone jack on the front. You would only need a separate DAC/amp if you wanted to use your headphones without using the receiver (or if you want to use them with a portable/mobile device, like your cell phone or a laptop).

-- Matt

Sep 12, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #4,112 of 15,538
Hello all !

Brand spankin' new guy here, just now signed up. This site has been my go to source for a few years now and I had some free time today to create an account. I've got a few pairs of headphones and just ordered a pair of B&W P5 Series2 ! Can't wait to get my hands on them and get em broke in good. Anyway, my name is Ronny and I live in Chattanooga, Tennessee.

Sep 13, 2016 at 11:54 AM Post #4,113 of 15,538
Dear all,

I am Marine, Focal Community Manager from France :). For those who don’t know us yet, we are a French manufacturer of speaker drivers, loudspeakers, studio monitors and headphones.

We have noticed numerous threads about our products on Head-Fi since our arrival on the headphones market in 2012 and we carefully read one of them. The recent launch of our New Headphones Collection have raised many questions to which I would like to answer in the dedicated thread in collaboration with Focal Headphones Team: http://www.head-fi.org/t/811270/focal-elear-and-utopia-review-preview-with-measurements-head-fi-tv

Our posts on Head-Fi are intended to help the community and answer your questions.

Please take into account that I am in France, so my answers could be delayed because of the jet lag, and sorry for the English which isn't perfect… but I'll do my best :)

We look forward reading from you,

Best regards,
Marine, Focal Community Manager

Focal Stay updated on Focal at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.focal.com/us/
Sep 13, 2016 at 10:29 PM Post #4,117 of 15,538
Hello guys, I'm Abinesh. 21 year old from India. For the love of music, i wanted to become an audiophile to listen to the most detailed sounds. I found myself going for the beyerdynamic dt 770 pro 80 ohm closed headphones. I have a few doubts, how to manage that 10m cable length lol, it's like carrying a rope if taken it outside. Also how is the beyerdynamic dt 770 pro with the Fiio e10 DAC/amp ? any opinion on this >?

Sep 14, 2016 at 7:43 AM Post #4,118 of 15,538
Hello everybody, after some lurking I've decided to signup to this forum, I'm not an audiophile but I'm studing to become one 
biggrin.gif

I have an LG V10, an Fiio E10K and a Sennheiser 380 HD Pro 
basshead.gif

Sep 14, 2016 at 8:33 AM Post #4,119 of 15,538
Hi
Decided to join because I purchased my 1st pair of high end headphones (HD800S).
Previous headphones have been ATH-M50s, HD598 and currently using HD650 with the Apogee Groove.
Can't wait to get more into this new hobby.

Sep 14, 2016 at 11:02 PM Post #4,120 of 15,538
First post. Started my headphone and head-fi journey due to my son's birth three years ago and the transition to being a full-time (read all the time) stay at home dad due to my wife's training/job; as well as nine moves over the past four years. 

The journey started with a pair of NAD Viso HP50s. 

Sep 14, 2016 at 11:19 PM Post #4,121 of 15,538
First post as well. Just been surfing the web for good headphone reviews and about to dive into this amazing world of improved sound.
After reading and viewing all those reviews out there, really can't seem to make up my mind between HD600, Fostex T50rp mk3, and Fidelio X2. 
Thanks all

Sep 15, 2016 at 12:02 AM Post #4,122 of 15,538
First post for me too. Randomly found this website looking for a set of used ie80 IEMs. I wouldn't call myself an audiophile by any means but I appreciate good sound. Currently own a HD650 paired to an O2 amp/DAC combo. Looking forward to learning more from the community!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back