New Member Introductions thread
Sep 15, 2016 at 7:47 PM Post #4,129 of 15,551
Well, hello there.
First let me apologize for not talking about headphones. I will do in the near future.

I've got a question. I am quite a noob and since I don't really like the mids and highs of my Logitech Z2300 anymore. I looked for some proper speakers for my pc. I'm about to order a pair of JBL LSR308's and a Dragonfly black but the thing is. I hoped I could just order a 3.5mm male - 2x XLR male cable, plug it in both speakers and ready to go. But how is it going to be stereo and how could I know which one is gonna be right and left??
Free hugs for the one who's helping me out.

Sep 16, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #4,132 of 15,551
Well, hello there.
First let me apologize for not talking about headphones. I will do in the near future.

I've got a question. I am quite a noob and since I don't really like the mids and highs of my Logitech Z2300 anymore. I looked for some proper speakers for my pc. I'm about to order a pair of JBL LSR308's and a Dragonfly black but the thing is. I hoped I could just order a 3.5mm male - 2x XLR male cable, plug it in both speakers and ready to go. But how is it going to be stereo and how could I know which one is gonna be right and left??
Free hugs for the one who's helping me out.

A 3.5mm to dual XLR is stereo, just as headphones are when plugged into the 3.5mm jack. As for determining which is left and right, couldn't you just adjust your balance L to R on your source and see which is L and which is R, and adjust your cabling accordingly? Assuming of course that the cable itself doesn't have an indication as to which is which like the one below.

Sep 17, 2016 at 2:05 PM Post #4,133 of 15,551
Hello, my name is tanishq. I'm not exactly an audiophile but i prefer clear headphones.I like listening to music,playing games and watching movies.
I hope everyone has a great day! 
darthsmile.gif

Sep 17, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #4,134 of 15,551
Hello! I'm Aggie. I love good music and I'm big fan of portable music devices. I'm rather on the beginning of my way, because of small budget but I try to make the best with that what I have or can have :)

Sep 18, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #4,136 of 15,551
Hello guys I am apaar,a college guy from India. I like to listen all kind of music but less of edm dubstep and all. I am about to order my senheiser hd598. Can anyone tell me which amp/DAC will be the best for them?

Sep 18, 2016 at 1:22 PM Post #4,137 of 15,551
Hi everyone, new to Head-Fi but not higher end audio gear. As I'm in college right now space and budget is tight so I'm using a Sennheiser HD598>Schiit Magni>Schiit Modi and a pair of Sennheiser Momentums for on the go!

Sep 18, 2016 at 2:19 PM Post #4,138 of 15,551
  Hi everyone, new to Head-Fi but not higher end audio gear. As I'm in college right now space and budget is tight so I'm using a Sennheiser HD598>Schiit Magni>Schiit Modi and a pair of Sennheiser Momentums for on the go!

Great gear you have there :) Welcome from a fellow newbie.

Hello all,

I have been slowly climbing up the Mid-fi hill (X2, Q701 (ouch my head), Talos, etc) and just wanted to stop by and say hello and wish everyone well on their journey. 

Midfi Hill? Why I like that name! :) Currently trying to climb it as well. All the best.

Sep 19, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #4,140 of 15,551
Hi Everyone,

I'm not new to the site. I've read a few very informative posts on here before, but I've finally decided to join. I should've joined during my first foray into hi-fi audio, which was when I bought a pair of IEMs for work and speakers and sub for my new computer, but I didn't. I'm into all sorts of music, but I've recently been into gaming soundtracks/scores. I also suffer from tinnitus, so I rarely enjoy headphones now, because I'm too paranoid that the volume could be too loud. (I haven't spent the money on an SPL meter yet, I really should. It's difficult to get a reading on my phone, plus I don't trust it doesn't need calibration.)

Here's my gear/setup:
IEMs - Denon AH-C710

Soundcard - Asus Essence STX
Speakers - Audioengine A5
Sub - Outlaw Audio M8
Headphones - AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition

The headphones are primarily for gaming. (My thanks to Mad Lust Envy and his/her gaming headphone guide.) I was actually considering the Swan M8 for my computer speakers, but I wanted a downward firing sub. At that point, I decided to piece together my own system. After reading more, on here, I see I may have been able to make some better choices, but I think I did pretty good for a first time.

A while ago I listened to a high sample, high bit depth (192 KHz, 24 bits) fan remastered version of the Star Wars Trilogy score...my mind and ears were blown away by the quality. At this point, I was convinced that digital music could be the best medium for music to date...if they would only release it with a high sample rate and bit depth. (Yes, there are problems with people having the equipment to enjoy it, but I digress. There are probably a few threads on this already, if not I'll make one.) It made me wonder what else I was missing out on.

I don't think I will ever get monitors, as they are analytical, and not all my music would cut the mustard when it comes to them. I'm also very hesitant about falling into audiophile territory. I've seen how much equipment can cost, and I can't fathom how people spend that kind of money. I have a lot of lossy music in my library and nothing I can do about it, as some of the stuff only exists in that format, so I will probably only ever have loudspeakers. I also don't quite understand the aural appeal of vinyl, and I've read up on this. However, I do understand the emotional appeal of having something tangible, as I'm still partial to CDs because of this, despite what I mentioned above. I also prefer to digitize my own music to FLAC, unless I can get some kind of assurance, as I have no idea what equipment was used when someone else does it. And I balk at the idea of paying more than the cost of a CD for "HD music."

Looking forward to getting some help, as well as being able to contribute to the community.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back