New IEMS: Shure SE535 or Westone 4R
Feb 3, 2013 at 4:04 AM Post #46 of 157
I've posted part 1 of 2 535 reviews if anyone is interested:

I'll be putting a written review on the product page here soon as well.

Feb 5, 2013 at 1:41 AM Post #47 of 157
If you are using the 4R check out my EQ settings.  I've based these off of Accudio and I find the settings really help bring out the full quality of the IEM and make it more neutral:

http://handtokey.blogspot.com/2013/02/westone-4r-eq-settings.html

Feb 5, 2013 at 7:09 AM Post #48 of 157
Quote:
If you are using the 4R check out my EQ settings.  I've based these off of Accudio and I find the settings really help bring out the full quality of the IEM and make it more neutral:

http://handtokey.blogspot.com/2013/02/westone-4r-eq-settings.html

Luis,

Thank you for sharing the diagram in here, I appreciate it so much.

Feb 5, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #50 of 157
I got the same problem like you instead im using a Galaxy Note 2 un-amped(but rooted and tweak) and decide to pull the trigger on Westone 4r the reason is after reading/lurking this forum for days there is just so much good review on Westone 4R while comparing to the SE535 and I did manage to demo both using just my phone and W4R blew my mind definitely worth every cent that i spend on it and its my first IEM

Feb 5, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #51 of 157
Quote:
I got the same problem like you instead im using a Galaxy Note 2 un-amped(but rooted and tweak) and decide to pull the trigger on Westone 4r the reason is after reading/lurking this forum for days there is just so much good review on Westone 4R while comparing to the SE535 and I did manage to demo both using just my phone and W4R blew my mind definitely worth every cent that i spend on it and its my first IEM

Yeah, I prefer the 4R as well.  However, I really do think the 535 is a good set, but it's very specific to what certain people will like.  For me the only draw back really was the rolled off treble.  If it had as much treble extension as the 4R it would be a much much harder call.  But it does have the rolloff, and for me it's a lot relatively speaking.

Feb 6, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #52 of 157
I know this is old news on Headfi, but I'm a proponent of the Triple Flanges cut down to double by cutting off the smallest (tipmost) flange. Great fit, seal, comfort and sound for just about any IEM.

Mar 7, 2013 at 9:02 AM Post #54 of 157
Am I the only one that actually think SE535 LTD sounds sonically superior than the unemotional W4R? Although W4R is technically superior by having an extra driver which brings to a total of 4s. The sound is very lacking by a mile!
My impression of the W4R is that vocal is very outward and the mids, lows and highs are extremely flat. SE535s is a different story, its vocal push very forward, thus make it very distinctive and crisp. The mids, lows and highs are so crystal clear that it's like coming out of a spring water fountain! (a descriptive way to describe HD sound) No distortion whatsoever!
I love them very much over other IEMs!

Mar 7, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #55 of 157
I feel the same way about the 4r..I just found it to boring I guess..I did a side by side comparison with the 535 and found it boring..I love my 535s..I think they sound great with all the music I throw at them..I only play lossless..with mp3 they really sound like crap I think anyways..plus really I don't like caring around a amp..from what I've read the 4r sounds allot better with an amp..the 535s sound good unamped..I also have a pair of etymotic er4p's and I love them also..at first I'm not sure if they needed to break in or IM just getting use to the sound of them..but at first they didn't seem to have much low/bass..but now that I have used them for maybe a month now pretty much all day every day..I find now there is lots off low end/bass..I love these things :)..just my two cents.....

Mar 7, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #56 of 157
I also have a pair of monster coppers that I have to say out of all my iems..they probably sound the best..at first the same..they didn't really sound all that good but once I broke them in..wow they are truly fanatic..5 stars!!!

Mar 7, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #57 of 157
I would definitely agree if the special edition has better treble.  The 4r isn't "flat" in the audiophile sense, it's flat in the "sound" sense, which is actually good and bad.  I find the 4r very very smooth and pleasing, but they lack air, liveliness and just plain "flat" reference-ness...  The 535 I had was better to my ears except the treble rolloff.  I had a hard time with that... :-/

Mar 9, 2013 at 8:47 AM Post #58 of 157
IM sorry this may sound dumb ..IM not to old at this high end earphones sorta thing...when you say that the highs are...rolled off...what actually does that mean?..I think I know and I can hear it..but if someone could explain this it would be much appreciated....thank you :)

Mar 9, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #59 of 157
Rolled off means that the treble is gets lower and lower in volume the higher up you go in frequency.  Sort of like rolling down a hill, it smoothly "rolls off" or drops off.  This basically means that you will be missing high frequency details that you would normally hear if the frequency response were very flat or 'not' rolled off.  This isn't necessarily bad.  Some people prefer the "warm" sound you get with rolled off highs.  They can prevent an earphone from sounding sibilant and harsh as well sometimes.  Although it is possible to have a non-sibilant 'flat' earphone as well.

It will by nature make the bass and mids sound more prominent because of the lacking high frequencies.  Some people may like that also.  It is sort of a "type" of sound signature.  Some sets have rolled off bass and some have "recessed" mids.  If you compared the 535 to a totally flat earphone you would hear the missing frequencies, however for what it does reproduce I think the 535 is very high quality.  I've heard the special edition red model improves this treble roll off, but i haven't heard them.

Mar 9, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #60 of 157
the se535 reds take care of that treble roll off, in comparison between the bronze and reds you could definitly tell the difference in roll off vs no roll off with the reds..

but i would recomend between the 2 the westone 4r. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back