New IEMS: Shure SE535 or Westone 4R
Nov 8, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #151 of 157

This depends on what you are listening it from. The Shure SE535 can have a very wide soundstage with the right DAC/AMP.

and i repent.

i recently bought a pair of se535 bronze.

when i said the se535 didnt have a wide soundstage i was refering to what i hear out of just a ipod>ibasso p4 warbler>ipod lod with that setup i had both the se535 bronze and the ltd edition, i didnt find with that rig the sound stage to be super wide.

now the setup i have going:

Iriver IHP-140 Optical Out>Ibasso DB2 Dac Optical In>Sys-Concept custom Fiber Optic cable>Toxic Cable Silver Poison RSA male To Hirose Male>RSA SR-71B>DHC Symbiote Occ Cable>SE535

^ THIS rig is phenomenal and the se535 have a very wide soundstage, but the midrange is forward so the soundstage is wide but feels like the vocals are right up next to you.

Nov 9, 2013 at 9:12 AM Post #152 of 157
  and i repent.

i recently bought a pair of se535 bronze.

when i said the se535 didnt have a wide soundstage i was refering to what i hear out of just a ipod>ibasso p4 warbler>ipod lod with that setup i had both the se535 bronze and the ltd edition, i didnt find with that rig the sound stage to be super wide.

now the setup i have going:

Iriver IHP-140 Optical Out>Ibasso DB2 Dac Optical In>Sys-Concept custom Fiber Optic cable>Toxic Cable Silver Poison RSA male To Hirose Male>RSA SR-71B>DHC Symbiote Occ Cable>SE535

^ THIS rig is phenomenal and the se535 have a very wide soundstage, but the midrange is forward so the soundstage is wide but feels like the vocals are right up next to you.

I am puzzled why people are doing all of these crazy DAC, AMP, and cable things...

I plugged my Westone 4's into my $1200 receiver and I didn't notice much difference, aside from having to turn the volume waaaaayyy down (as in 1/10 of normal) for it to be listenable. I noticed more bass and slightly thicker sound, but I think it felt like the headphones were in overdrive mode rather than enhanced. I preferred listening directly from my iphone or ipad... sounded more balanced and open.

I really don't think EARphones such as these need an amp. I think you need an amp for HEAD phones only. THOUGH I HAVE NOT TRIED IT, I can see a tiny FiiO e7 might do a REALLY minor improvement (as in not really noticeable). A tweeter or tiny speaker doesn't need much power and too much power will make it sound worse. I think the biggest improvement is the source and DAC. After listening and experimenting, the iphone 5s and ipad Air DAC is actually really good and I doubt you can easily get better or notice it. 

I tested a few other EARphones with my receiver and also thought it was not needed. Main thing that happened was the low-end got louder...bass got more pronounced and mids got thicker. It felt artificially increased and sounded unbalanced. I think these earphones are designed for mobile devices without an amp in mind. The Westone 4's bass is already deep and loud with the right content.

Nov 9, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #153 of 157
I agree for the most part but I DO think maybe 10-15% of IEM's out there DO benefit where it is worth using an amp.  For me W4 and ER4S are the first two IEM's that come to mind in that regard.

Nov 29, 2013 at 8:47 AM Post #156 of 157
Id say the jds labs c421 and jds labs c5. Depends on your budget those are 100.00-189.00 the fiio e12 might be good too...again depends on your budget

I use a JDS C5 with my SE215's and 535's...source is IPod Classic 160Gb 7G with Fiio L9.  I have tried several other amps (DIY Cmoy, Fiio E6, E7, and E11, ).  For me the C5 is the sweet spot.  I like the sound out of the C5 much better than the Fiio E11.

Jun 14, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #157 of 157
  Owned the SE535s (and liked them very much), but I STILL own the Westone 4s. 
wink_face.gif

This is verbatim, what my response was going to be.

I am puzzled why people are doing all of these crazy DAC, AMP, and cable things...

I plugged my Westone 4's into my $1200 receiver and I didn't notice much difference, aside from having to turn the volume waaaaayyy down (as in 1/10 of normal) for it to be listenable. I noticed more bass and slightly thicker sound, but I think it felt like the headphones were in overdrive mode rather than enhanced. I preferred listening directly from my iphone or ipad... sounded more balanced and open.

The difference between my iPhone 5, the pico DAC, and my ODAC is pretty noticeable to me.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back